Thread: How accurate is the iPhone data usage counter?

Phone
    iPhone 3GS 16GB
    Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score

How accurate is the iPhone data usage counter?

When I try and check my data usage on Rogers website, it says i made changes during the current billing period and hence can't view my data usage bla bla bla. Just wondering if the iPhone data usage (in settings > general > usage) is a pretty good estimate of the amount Rogers says we used.

Phones
    Nexus 5
    Nexus 5
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    If I remember some previous threads, pretty sure its not accurate at all and is a known issue. Try downloading the ATT app to track usage. Search the forums if you are interested in the details.

Carriers
    AT&T (current)
    Verizon (2005-2006)
    Feedback Score
    Considering the OP clearly said he is a Rogers Subscriber, the AT&T app won't do a thing for him. However, an app that WILL help him exists called Consume. it supports Rogers and will track your plan usage.

I've actually found the data counter on the iPhone to be pretty accurate, and the usage estimate provided by the carrier (AT&T in my case) to be less than accurate, often lagging behind. The problem is, carriers can lag behind in billing you data usage, and I've found data instances that were clearly occuring previous billing cycles showing up int he current one. Not a big deal for those of us with unlimited plans, but clearly not good in the OP's case.

Best thing to do is to keep track using the usage meter in the iPhone, but to give yourself a cushion in case Rogers thinks you've used more than your iPhone believes to be the case. Or, use the Consume App I described above, but until you're used to it, keep that safety cushion going.

Left: iPhone 5s on AT&T Right: Comcast home internet connection

Phones
    Nexus 5
    Nexus 5
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by scaredpoet
    Considering the OP clearly said he is a Rogers Subscriber, the AT&T app won't do a thing for him. However, an app that WILL help him exists called Consume. it supports Rogers and will track your plan usage.

I've actually found the data counter on the iPhone to be pretty accurate, and the usage estimate provided by the carrier (AT&T in my case) to be less than accurate, often lagging behind. The problem is, carriers can lag behind in billing you data usage, and I've found data instances that were clearly occuring previous billing cycles showing up int he current one. Not a big deal for those of us with unlimited plans, but clearly not good in the OP's case.

Best thing to do is to keep track using the usage meter in the iPhone, but to give yourself a cushion in case Rogers thinks you've used more than your iPhone believes to be the case. Or, use the Consume App I described above, but until you're used to it, keep that safety cushion going.

+1 for making me look like a douche and being right.

Phone
    iPhone 3GS 16GB
    Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by scaredpoet

Thanks a lot, gonna check Consume out

Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Never count the cellular device to keep track of data usage, instead you would be better serviced to rely on your carrier's online tool to track data usage or call customer service periodically.
    If I'm annoyed and you're annoyed, does that make us a paranoid ??

Sarcasm is a fine art...

"Don't believe everything you think"

It's not a matter of if you win or lose, it's how you assign the blame

Phones
    iPhone 3GS 32GB
    Nokia 6265i
    Carrier
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Yeah I have been checking online with my carriers data usage. I have found that the tracker on the iPhone has more than what it says on my carriers website. I'm guessing the online # is lagging but I did call my carrier and they said it's pretty accurate but I would still just use the tracker on the phone as a safety cushion

Phones
    iPhone 3GS 16GB (curr)
    iPhone 3G 8GB (prev)
    UTStarCom 6700 (prev)
    Feedback Score
    Rogers online one updates every 4hrs i believe. They also have a free iphon app.

On device tracking isn't good for many reasons.
    - some data use is not counted by the provider mms and visual voice mail.
    - the provider may use a different rounding rule
    - hard resets can loose unsaved use
    - restores can clear or roll back the count