Thread: Samsung SCH-R451C ringtones from SD card

Feedback Score

Samsung SCH-R451C ringtones from SD card

Hi all, my first time posting here

I recently purchased a Samsung SCH-R451C with Net10 service, after much reviewing of various phones. I'm extremely happy with both the phone and the service, except for one minor thing - I can't get my own ringtones on the phone.

Net10 recommends that one downloads the manual for the phone from Samsung, which I did. In that manual it is stated that one can format an SD card for use in the phone, place the mp3s one wants in the My_Sounds or My_Ringtones folders on the card, and then select and use them on the phone for personal ringtones.

I did so, following the recommendations for mp3 format and size; and the 451 simply will not see the files on the card. The memory manager sees that memory is being used in those folders, but unlike the Images and Music folders, will not see individual files within those folders. Neither will the Ringtone type menu option see any files in those folders.

I just got done spending over two hours on the phone (on my landline, thankfully) with net10's technical support, and while the gentleman I talked to was very knowledgable - about three tiers up - did his best to try and resolve my problems, he could not. He has escalated the problem and promised to contact me via email if he finds a solution. I've been a computer tech for almost a quarter century, and am not willing to let a mere cellphone *cough*grin* defeat me, so I thought I'd ask the experts...

As mentioned, I can put files in the My_Images and My_Music directories on the SD card, and the phone sees and utilizes them fine (except for no option to set as ringtone). I put an identical set of my ringtone mp3s - which worked fine on my LG VX8300 and are within Samsung's specs - in the My_Sounds and My_Ringtones directories, and while the phone shows that memory is being used in those directories, it refuses to acknowledge any files existing there.

I told the Net10 rep that this looks like deliberate software crippling, and while he could not agree directly, he also stated that he simply did not know why it was not working.

Anyone have any ideas? I love this phone, otherwise - except for a few minor features like per-contact ringtones which I do not use, it is very nice and I'd hate to give it up - can't afford to anyway ;(

Feel free to email me directly. I am working 60-70 hour weeks right now but I'm generally home at least once a day...

Thanks much everyone, and thanks for a great forum
    Andy G
    Spearfish SD

Phones
    Samsung T-451c
    Samsung R451c (for now)
    Motorola W376 (retired)
    Carriers
    ST
    before that, Tracfone
    Feedback Score

how I did it was this..

I have both a 451 and a 401 phone. I dragged them onto an SDHC card on my computer, inserted the micro sdhc card into the 401, then sent the songs by Bluetooth from the 401 phone to the 451 phone. It will automatically place them into your my_ringtones folder, where you can hit 'options' and 'set as" ringtone, or individual id tone' ....worked for me...

but you can probably use a card reader like I did and put them directly onto the SD card, put the card into the phone and and into the My_ringtones folder...should work...
    [1 bar??...only ONE BAR of Signal????...but it's a TRACFONE!!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by icefire_wiccan
    I have both a 451 and a 401 phone. I dragged them onto an SDHC card on my computer, inserted the micro sdhc card into the 401, then sent the songs by Bluetooth from the 401 phone to the 451 phone. It will automatically place them into your my_ringtones folder, where you can hit 'options' and 'set as" ringtone, or individual id tone' ....worked for me...
    Unfortunately I don't have another phone to try that

but you can probably use a card reader like I did and put them directly onto the SD card, put the card into the phone and and into the My_ringtones folder...should work...
    That's exactly what I did, and it doesn't work. Net10's support can't even figure out why it isn't working... the phone simply will not recognize that the files are even there.
    Doing that works with Images and Music but not with ringtones; the phone sees that memory is being used in those folders but will not display the files either in the memory info nor in the ringtone type menu options.

Sigh :\

Thanks tho

Carriers
    Rip 'First Cellular of S. IL'
    Ugh, Hi AT&T
    Feedback Score

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by agroz
    Hi all, my first time posting here

I recently purchased a Samsung SCH-R451C with Net10 service, after much reviewing of various phones. I'm extremely happy with both the phone and the service, except for one minor thing - I can't get my own ringtones on the phone.

Net10 recommends that one downloads the manual for the phone from Samsung, which I did. In that manual it is stated that one can format an SD card for use in the phone, place the mp3s one wants in the My_Sounds or My_Ringtones folders on the card, and then select and use them on the phone for personal ringtones.

I did so, following the recommendations for mp3 format and size; and the 451 simply will not see the files on the card. The memory manager sees that memory is being used in those folders, but unlike the Images and Music folders, will not see individual files within those folders. Neither will the Ringtone type menu option see any files in those folders.

I just got done spending over two hours on the phone (on my landline, thankfully) with net10's technical support, and while the gentleman I talked to was very knowledgable - about three tiers up - did his best to try and resolve my problems, he could not. He has escalated the problem and promised to contact me via email if he finds a solution. I've been a computer tech for almost a quarter century, and am not willing to let a mere cellphone *cough*grin* defeat me, so I thought I'd ask the experts...

As mentioned, I can put files in the My_Images and My_Music directories on the SD card, and the phone sees and utilizes them fine (except for no option to set as ringtone). I put an identical set of my ringtone mp3s - which worked fine on my LG VX8300 and are within Samsung's specs - in the My_Sounds and My_Ringtones directories, and while the phone shows that memory is being used in those directories, it refuses to acknowledge any files existing there.

I told the Net10 rep that this looks like deliberate software crippling, and while he could not agree directly, he also stated that he simply did not know why it was not working.

Anyone have any ideas? I love this phone, otherwise - except for a few minor features like per-contact ringtones which I do not use, it is very nice and I'd hate to give it up - can't afford to anyway ;(

Feel free to email me directly. I am working 60-70 hour weeks right now but I'm generally home at least once a day...

Thanks much everyone, and thanks for a great forum
    Andy G
    Spearfish SD
    If you're still looking for the answer I might have one...
    I just bought this phone for my little cousin for Christmas, and I've got it to play mp3s.

This is what I've done so any one of the steps could be the key but I'm pretty sure its step 3 that does the trick.

1. I formatted the card twice with the phone.

2. Updated the PRL, I'm SURE it had nothing to do with making it work but it forced a restart.

3. Put mp3s on the card and, recalling a quirk from a Motorola phone, shortened the title of the mp3. (made the file "John Mayer - Rout 66.mp3" to "Rout 66.mp3")
    4. Restarted the phone.

5. Wam! mp3s play.

Feedback Score
    Thanks! It was the filename thing that was causing me fits.

Happy holidays.

A

Phone
    Samsung Intercept
    Carriers
    sprint
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Lg 290c: LGE-LG290C/1.0[TF268435458415859177000000019854158886] UP.Browser/6.2.3.8 (GUI) MMP/2.0)

lol i was going to say that or possibly could have been sd card format it from phone instead of from pc so the folders are correct glad you figured it out yeah the phones are touchy about filenames and such best to keep it simple on them

Feedback Score

SCH-R451c sd card

the SCH-R451c can only support up to 2 gig cards. The 4 gig is too big for that phone it will tell you that in the owners manual. Read it first next time. it also only supports mp3 and aac media files so be sure to check file format before adding to the card.

Phone
    SCH-R451C
    Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Actually Stuie, I have to intervine on that. I currently own this phone and despite what the manual says, I have a 4 gigabyte micro sd card in mine and it runs like a champ. Dont let their quirks fool you, definitely go for the higher sized one. It does in fact work, and is totally worth it with all the music, ringtones, and images you can use.

Phone
    Samsung SGH -T401g
    Carrier
    Net 10
    Feedback Score
    Actually, most sites agree now that the phones can technically utilize 16Gb cards, and like the newer 32Gb ones. So memory isn't to much of an issue. Another quirk I have seen with ringtones however is song length. My 401 has no problem playing fullsongs with the mp3 player, but to add a song as a ringtone, it must be clipped to a shortened length....