Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Any Straight Talk users having dropped incoming calls?

Phone
    LG 290c
    Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score

Knoxville, TN

I went ahead and asked my 2 friends who have had straight talk for a few months now, if they have had any dropped calls. They both said they've have had No dropped calls. They're quite happy with the service, it is working much better than AT&T did for them.

Feedback Score

Yes...I have had dropped calls..NW WA State 98277

I've used ST since the summer of 2009, shortly after the service first became available. I have a Motorola V3A. Most of the time, this service has worked as-advertised for me. However, the phone (or service) has, at times, occasionally lapsed into routinely dropping calls about 38-40 seconds into a call. I am presently unsure if this is a Motorola V3A phone problem or a Verizon problem. I have previously spent HOURS on the phone with ST customer service. I have even had this problem elevated and received a ticket problem number. The problem existed almost non-stop shortly after I got the phone. It then cleared up for a number of months. It appeared to me it was tied somewhat to NEW callers not having never having called me before with the ST service. However, the problem recently came back for a few weeks (NOT related to brand new caller calling me), and, now, it is gone again. Makes NO sense to me. I use the phone primarily in zip code 98277.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by billburnett
    I am presently unsure if this is a Motorola V3A phone problem or a Verizon problem.
    I believe it's a Straight Talk problem. I'm a zip code away in Skagit (If you're up for a beer it's on me!) and when I had VZW service, for 9 years, I never had a dropped incoming call, after I installed my CDMA booster ($400). Before that the coverage was not good, after the booster, full bars.

The first ST phone I bought, the 451, worked fine, and I might have had a few dropped calls over a 3 month period but it wasn't an issue. Traded the 451 for an LG290, and all of a sudden every 4th or 5th incoming was dropped. Traded the 455 for a 355 and so far every 4th or 5th call is dropped after 30 or so seconds. I've noticed that there are 3 very brief dial tone like sounds before the call is dropped.

After thinking about it, the 451 was activated from my home area, and I activated the 290 and the 355 from a different tower than my home tower, and have tried *22890 for re-programming. I'll know in a few days if it makes a difference. Would VZW deliberately cause an issue to discredit ST? I have real problems believing that, although it's not completely unbelievable.

It's confusing.

Feedback Score

"3 very brief dial tone like sounds before the call is dropped"

The "3 very brief dial tone like sounds before the call is dropped" is also an indication I have experienced when these dropped calls have occurred.

Phone
    Nexus 4
    Carrier
    Pure TalkUSA
    Feedback Score
    This thread made me nervous about switching from VZW to ST but I'm 2 weeks into it and have not experienced problems.

Feedback Score
    I bought the LG straight talk phone in April 2010 (don't know the model # off hand, but the $40 one that flips open). Nearly every in-coming call I get is dropped after 30 seconds or so. Just as described here, three tones and boom, call is dead. I called customer service and they told me to reprogram using *22890. Didn't seem to do any good at all. I live in the Chicago area, western suburbs.

This is a real shame because I am perfectly happy with the phone in every other way. The phone is great, and as long as it's an out-going call, the service is great. Can't beat the price, but the in-coming call issue will probably mean I have to cancel. It pisses my clients off no end.

Feedback Score

New callers only?

It had not happened to me for a couple of weeks now, and, then, I got a call just yesterday from a number from which I had never received a call before, and, sure enough, I got three dial-tone "beeps" and the call dropped at 36 seconds - while I was sitting there with full-bars for reception at my desk. I can't say for sure that this has occurred ONLY when I receive calls from first-time "new" numbers, but that seems to be the trend I have noticed. If you experience the same thing as I did, the problem will seem to subside after time (as most "new" callers occur, obviously, right after you started the service), but will not go away completely. At least, it hasn't gone away for me yet since August 2009.

Phone
    iPhone 5S, iPad Mini, iPad Air, MacBook Pro
    Carriers
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I just had my first dropped call in 7 months... I got nervous but it turned out to be my on my friends end, she had walked into the basement where there's no service. Other than that I've always had perfect voice service. I had dropped calls all the time with AT&T and I'm in an area where their coverage is supposed to be fantastic.

I don't believe for a second Verizon would purposely cause call issues to discredit ST. According to an article someone posted on this board they've gotten over a million new subscribers to their network through its wholesale partners. Why would they risk losing that ?? If they start deliberately screwing with the service they're only screwing themselves.

I see a lot of people complaining that when they had Verizon their service was great... now that they have ST it sucks. Just because ST runs on Verizon does not mean you're going to get the same coverage. Check ST's coverage map before switching... not Verizons. Some people assume that it's the same and find out the hard way it's not.
    Last edited by tuffigirl; 04-22-2010 at 09:40 AM.

My Babies:
    32gb iPhone 5
    32gb iPad Mini
    64gb iPad 3rd Gen
    13" MacBook Pro

Phones
    Samsung Intercept
    Samsung Intercept
    Carrier
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Well, I finally solved my dropped call problem. Having spent hours talking to CS and at least 8 calls to them, all with no resolution, I quit Straight Talk and went with Boost Mobile. ST was never able to resolve the dropped call issue in the 6 months I was with them. I hope other people get resolution to this problem, but for me it was a lost cause. By the way, Boost has not dropped any calls in the 2 weeks of service.

Thanks for all the responses to this issue.

Phones
    LG 290c
    Nokia 6102
    Carriers
    ST
    Feedback Score
    Have previously reported we've had a number of dropped calls. Asking the wife and she say she has never had any beep's prior to the call being dropped. Not sure if there is more than a single behavior preceding the dropped connection. Also can't pinpoint the time before the dropped connection but it is fairly soon after the connection is made.

Phones
    LG VX9900
    Sony Ericsson W580i
    Sony Ericsson W810i
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Centennial Wireless
    Feedback Score

30-second call dropping

I am adding to this thread on behalf of my two business partners both of whom are ST customers. Both make the majority of their calls from the 46064 zip. Both ported their numbers in from other providers, Comcast and AT&T. Both suffer the 30 second call drop issue somewhere between 40-60% of incoming calls. Calls drop at *exactly* 30 seconds very consistently, but when that caller calls back immediately the issue never repeats itself. I do not know if either of these guys hears the three short tones immediately prior to a call being dropped, but calls do drop regardless of signal strength.

My partners use the LG290C and Samsung R451C currently with usage of at least 8 weeks now. One started his ST service with just the basic cheap flip phone (either the LG200 or LG220C), but has since upgraded to the LG290C. All three phones have suffered the same issues stated above.

The worst part of the problem concerns business clients. No one wants to have to explain a consistent call dropping problem to a client or, worse yet, to a prospective client. It makes you appear unprofessional, especially when it's a repeat issue with the same client. Most are understanding, but it seems this issue should have a solution.

One partner called ST's Customer Service today. They acknowledged that the call dropping issue is a "known problem," but their recommended solution sounded like the standard script to me: hard reset and an update (a *228 update I presume).

I agree with tuffigirl that it makes no sense for Verizon to sabotage ST, but I do find this consistent known problem to be very troublesome. Neither of my business partners is willing to change his phone number, but I expect there is another solution. It's great to swap user stories on here to try to piece together the puzzle, but if anyone reading this has a highly technical wireless telecom knowledge please do shed any light that you may on the possible cause/s and solution/s.

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    I'm wondering if there are isolated integration issues between the alltel towers and the verizon towers after the merger.

Are the call drops happening in coverage areas where verizon was before the alltel merger?

It seems odd that only a small percentage of people have this issue.

Also, i think i remember reading this was also happening on page plus, so all the verizon mvno's may be effected.

I looked at prepaid reviews and straight talk and most of the complaints have to do with porting and customer service issues. If this was widespread, you'd see complaint after complaint on call dropping.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by logybogy
    I'm wondering if there are isolated integration issues between the alltel towers and the verizon towers after the merger.

Are the call drops happening in coverage areas where verizon was before the alltel merger?

Also, i think i remember reading this was also happening on page plus, so all the verizon mvno's may be effected.

I looked at prepaid reviews and straight talk and most of the complaints have to do with porting and customer service issues. If this was widespread, you'd see complaint after complaint on call dropping.
    You may be on to something. I'm in the 49449 area, known Alltel territory, and am experiencing the same drop calls (and cut off text messages) syndrome after virtually flawless performance.

Phones
    LG VX9900
    Sony Ericsson W580i
    Sony Ericsson W810i
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Centennial Wireless
    Feedback Score

Isolated vs. Widespread

Quote Originally Posted by logybogy

This issue does seem to be restricted to only a certain percentage of ST users. I was not aware of the Alltel-Verizon merger, but the potential implications you suggest are interesting. Is there any precedent for suspecting that sort of an issue? Others earlier in this thread have indicated either knowing or suspecting that multiple (or all) Verizon MVNOs are affected.

One thing more to add to my last post, the call dropping issue for both of my business partners is not restricted to "first time callers." The calls are dropping by an apparent equal percentage of those who are first time callers as well as those, like me, who are regular callers to their ST cell phones. So that does not seem to be the issue, at least not in our case.

Phone
    LG 290c
    Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    My 2 friends and I, who have had no dropped calls to date, live in a Verizon area. Alltel was never available here.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast