Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Can I Put In My Prepaid Sim Card In A Smartphone And Use Right Away?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    546
    Phones
    Samsung Galaxy SII 4G
    Samsung Galaxy SII 4G
    Carrier
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0

    Can I Put In My Prepaid Sim Card In A Smartphone And Use Right Away?

    Ok so, my friend is on prepaid with Rogers. he wants to get a Rogers smartphone without contract, just outright. Would he be able to use the phone right away just by putting his prepaid sim in?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    604
    Carriers
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by guardianflash
    Ok so, my friend is on prepaid with Rogers. he wants to get a Rogers smartphone without contract, just outright. Would he be able to use the phone right away just by putting his prepaid sim in?
    yes, but he would want to avoid data usage..

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    The Flatlands of Canada
    Posts
    1,917
    Phones
    Samsung Captivate, HTC Magic+
    Samsung Captivate
    HTC Magic+
    Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by hjlow
    yes, but he would want to avoid data usage..
    Rogers has the Data Day Pass thing for any Data to be used you have to agree to pay $2.99/20MB which is good for 24 hours. Once you have used the 20MB, you will get prompted to purchase another if you want to continue browsing...

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    546
    Phones
    Samsung Galaxy SII 4G
    Samsung Galaxy SII 4G
    Carrier
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix713
    Rogers has the Data Day Pass thing for any Data to be used you have to agree to pay $2.99/20MB which is good for 24 hours. Once you have used the 20MB, you will get prompted to purchase another if you want to continue browsing...
    It's good that they do that so you won't accidently use data when you don't want to.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    45
    Feedback Score
    0
    If your friend lives anywhere but the Eastern timezone, he should also choose his paygo plan very carefully. Smartphones on paygo have an issue where airtime is rated only on Eastern time, even if you live in B.C. That means if you choose the 1$ day plan or 1cents eve./weekends, you are screwed. The only options would be MY5, anytime, or the all day plan.

    And yes, this is a known issue.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    246
    Feedback Score
    0
    If you take the E71 on prepaid and sign up for the $7/month unlimited data, is that WAP? I'm guessing its exceptionally slow? And can it be used to browse any sites & check email, or are there restrictions?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    198
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Shismo
    If you take the E71 on prepaid and sign up for the $7/month unlimited data, is that WAP? I'm guessing its exceptionally slow? And can it be used to browse any sites & check email, or are there restrictions?
    I was under the impression that this does not work anymore.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    The Flatlands of Canada
    Posts
    1,917
    Phones
    Samsung Captivate, HTC Magic+
    Samsung Captivate
    HTC Magic+
    Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    0
    Yeah there seems to be issues with what phones can be used with the $7 PayGo Unlimited Browsing. The CSRs don't even know what phones can be used. The only phones that 'for sure' can be used are the PayGo phones themselves.....

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Markham
    Posts
    2,170
    Carrier
    BELL Canada
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    yes you can use it right away.

Bookmarks