Thread: Can I Put In My Prepaid Sim Card In A Smartphone And Use Right Away?

Phones
    Samsung Galaxy SII 4G
    Samsung Galaxy SII 4G
    Carrier
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score

Can I Put In My Prepaid Sim Card In A Smartphone And Use Right Away?

Ok so, my friend is on prepaid with Rogers. he wants to get a Rogers smartphone without contract, just outright. Would he be able to use the phone right away just by putting his prepaid sim in?

Carriers
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by guardianflash
    Ok so, my friend is on prepaid with Rogers. he wants to get a Rogers smartphone without contract, just outright. Would he be able to use the phone right away just by putting his prepaid sim in?
    yes, but he would want to avoid data usage..

Phones
    Samsung Captivate, HTC Magic+
    Samsung Captivate
    HTC Magic+
    Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hjlow
    yes, but he would want to avoid data usage..
    Rogers has the Data Day Pass thing for any Data to be used you have to agree to pay $2.99/20MB which is good for 24 hours. Once you have used the 20MB, you will get prompted to purchase another if you want to continue browsing...

Phones
    Samsung Galaxy SII 4G
    Samsung Galaxy SII 4G
    Carrier
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix713
    Rogers has the Data Day Pass thing for any Data to be used you have to agree to pay $2.99/20MB which is good for 24 hours. Once you have used the 20MB, you will get prompted to purchase another if you want to continue browsing...
    It's good that they do that so you won't accidently use data when you don't want to.

Feedback Score
    If your friend lives anywhere but the Eastern timezone, he should also choose his paygo plan very carefully. Smartphones on paygo have an issue where airtime is rated only on Eastern time, even if you live in B.C. That means if you choose the 1$ day plan or 1cents eve./weekends, you are screwed. The only options would be MY5, anytime, or the all day plan.

And yes, this is a known issue.

Feedback Score
    If you take the E71 on prepaid and sign up for the $7/month unlimited data, is that WAP? I'm guessing its exceptionally slow? And can it be used to browse any sites & check email, or are there restrictions?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Shismo
    If you take the E71 on prepaid and sign up for the $7/month unlimited data, is that WAP? I'm guessing its exceptionally slow? And can it be used to browse any sites & check email, or are there restrictions?
    I was under the impression that this does not work anymore.

Phones
    Samsung Captivate, HTC Magic+
    Samsung Captivate
    HTC Magic+
    Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Yeah there seems to be issues with what phones can be used with the $7 PayGo Unlimited Browsing. The CSRs don't even know what phones can be used. The only phones that 'for sure' can be used are the PayGo phones themselves.....

Carrier
    BELL Canada
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    yes you can use it right away.