Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: s60 is dead, close this sub-forum

Feedback Score

s60 is dead, close this sub-forum

s60 is dead. Going nowhere. Maybe this is a provocative thread, but I have been a s60 user since several years since 7610, but no more. Look at the horror stories of n97, e50, 5800, 5530 and Nokia's huge loss. Even when the devices carry the same basic s60 which has not improved / progressed in years, Nokia goofs up and makes beta testers of all of us gullible consumers. Whether it was n80, n95 - the list is endless - they could never get it right without at least 10 firmware updates and endless hassles.

Everybody's buying Apple, Android and BB. Heck I would prefer a WinMo 6.5 device right now instead of s60. Nokia only had a bit of an edge in voice quality, but that is also now lost.

There has been no major UI or other improvement in s60 since last 6-8 years and it shows. No new apps, nothing - zilch - nada. Any app you run on top creates issues, crashes, etc. and Nokia says they are not responsible. Even basic apps now Nokia wants you to pay. No developer wants to write anything for s60 - only iPhone, Android, etc.

Wake up, smell the coffee and get out of here.

Device(s)
    htc hd2
    Carrier(s)
    tmobile
    Feedback Score
    i like my e71

Device(s)
    Nokia E72 (black)
    Carrier(s)
    Att
    Feedback Score
    Hmm, guess that means you're leaving. Schweeet!

To be terribly honest, I don't care what you say. You have your little opinion, we have ours. I like my E71 and 5800XM/NE. They're perfect for me. I'm sure most people will say the same exact thing as me. Goodbye
    Hello, I am Isaac

Device(s)
    Nokia N8, BBB 9700
    Carrier(s)
    American Telephone and Telegraph
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sandeep108
    s60 is dead. Going nowhere. Maybe this is a provocative thread, [...]

A few too many pills this evening, did we take?

I think most users in this forum are aware of S60 (including its age, its market status, and so on) - and perhaps a bit more about its current status than you espouse in your message.

Crashing? Not so much, since the N95 at least.
    No new apps? Somewhat true, except:
    • It's the first platform (so far only platform) with VoIP video calling (Fring)
    • It's the only platform on which the default message + e-mail readers will allow you to "listen" to your e-mails (TTS)
    • It's the only platform on which you have a native "Maps" application that allows you to plan/synchronize trips via an online portal (OVI)
    • It's the only platform except Maemo that allows you to plug your phone into a TV and get the entire UI (not just photos) showing, and also use a Bluetooth keyboard (think: "mobile office" in front of your TV)
    • It seems to me to be the only platform except Sony Ericsson on which you'll get over-the-air podcast downloads... (any other?)
    • Some interesting Nokia apps: Sports Tracker, Internet Radio, Point and Find, etc.

Android seems interesting, save for two facts:
    • All currently available Android devices are cr*p (incl. Droid)
    • There is no "native" application environment, other than Java.

BB, iPhone, WinMo are not necessarily appealing to those who have tasted Symbian/S60, for various reasons. YMMV.

Device(s)
    Nokia N86
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Why dont you just move on. Apps and touch interfaces arent everything to everyone.

Device(s)
    Nokia 808 PureView
    Carrier(s)
    att
    Feedback Score
    ^ played with HTC hero (android) tonight...what a mess! Typing is really hard on it... the OS was 1.6 i think and it didn't impress me at all. So i don't get why people like touch so much. My e71 can make that phone look dumb

Device(s)
    Nokia E71
    Carrier(s)
    Robbers
    Feedback Score
    i love s60.

Device(s)
    Nokia N86
    Carrier(s)
    Orange-UK
    Feedback Score
    Like nokia i am going to ignore your thoughts and be deluded that everything is fine, long live S60.

Hopefully the whole revamp thing might revive Nokia, they should sponsor the Olympics or something since their revamp will be in full swing by 2012.

Device(s)
    Nokia 5800 - Love Hate Relation
    Carrier(s)
    Airtel India
    Feedback Score
    technically speaking , S60 *is* dead ( http://www.s60.com/s60/html/index.html ). But symbian is alive and while its little old and dont kicks *** , it is still one of the most capable platform out there.

lets see what happens when nokia revamps symbian's ui in late 2010.

Device(s)
    HTC Desire Z
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    agreed, eventually this forum will just be called symbian....
    in da hood we say "don't drink & drive, park & sip"

Device(s)
    Galaxy Nexus
    Carrier(s)
    BELL Canada/
    Feedback Score
    I love my E71 and N97, they do what I want, they work, thats why I got them and they work for what I need , there are no issues with S60 for me, so it does not have new icons or new colors a flashing crap, hey it works thats what I need , when I want a toy then I play with the iCrap.

Long live S60 lol lol

my $0.02 cents
    Current Plan:

Galaxy Nexus (Pure Google, Jelly Bean)
    6 GB data with tethering
    300 Daytime minutes
    Free call display
    Free message center
    Free Bell to Bell mobility
    Free evenings and weekends (6pm-8am)
    Free 1st minute incoming calls
    Free unlimited txt
    Free call waiting, conference calling, call forward
    Long distance 8 cents Cda, 20 cents USA

Total with tax: $57 bucks
    Not bad I think.

Save the Planet, its the only one that sells chocolate.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Wow sandeep108, thanks for taking the time to come back after 8 months and drop this useful information on us. It's appreciated...

Device(s)
    Nokia E72 / Motorola Milestone
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Everybody's buying Apple, Android and BB. Heck I would prefer a WinMo 6.5 device right now instead of s60. Nokia only had a bit of an edge in voice quality, but that is also now lost.

First and foremost creating a topic to "Close S60" in a Nokia forum just because you don't like it shows how much of a troll you are.

Second... I have owned a Jailbroken 3GS, and a 8320 and 8900 and I would EASILY take my e71 over those phones!!! Both the iPhone and BBs were POS with dropped calls and freeze-ups. Eventually I will be using the 9700 but until then I won't comment on that.

Android is USELESS (to me at least) until it comes out on a "AT&T SMARTPHONE" (or unlocked to AT&T's 3G network)and preferably made by Motorola as well.

As for S60/Symbian, I love it and many others around here love it. The e71 is one of THE BEST PHONES I have even owned and I have owned 20+ phones (that I can think of right off the top of my head).

Finally creating topics like this in other forums just because your not a fan is extremely "Apple-forum-like" so please go back there.

Feel free to create this topic over there as well.

Device(s)
    N-8
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I just love my N-95-4. Does everything I want it to do and never breaks

Device(s)
    Palm Pixi
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    blah blah blah

"Más fuath leat mise, loitfidh mé thú. Más maith leat mise, loitfidh mé ar do shon" - Mac Séamais

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast