Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How much is 20mb of data anyways?

Phones
    LG Optimus S
    LG Optimus S
    HTC Droid Eris
    Carrier
    MetroPCS Family 4/$100 woohoo!
    Feedback Score

How much is 20mb of data anyways?

My husband just started on PagePlus unlimited talk & text last week. Our question is - what does 20mb of data get you? - and does it just automatically cut off when you use the full 20mb? - or is there a way we can get charged for overages? I think we have about a $5 balance on the PP account + the 39.95 card we bought to start the account. Thanks for info!

Carrier
    All of them.
    Feedback Score
    You can get charged for overages, any available funds in the account will go to overages if you use more than 20mb.

20mb is 20480 kb which is 20971520 bytes

On a regular phone it can go far but if you use it for any streaming video/audio it will go fast.
    Home ISP, RR-Ultimate WiFi, $90/mo | Verizon 4G, $30/mo Unlimited

School, $5,000/semester | Work

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by justamom2
    - and does it just automatically cut off when you use the full 20mb? - or is there a way we can get charged for overages?
    Please don't hesitate to read the description of the plan on PP's web page. They won't mind if you read it.

Phones
    LG Optimus S
    LG Optimus S
    HTC Droid Eris
    Carrier
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuckles960
    Please don't hesitate to read the description of the plan on PP's web page. They won't mind if you read it.
    Thanks a lot wise guy

OK, it says on the website they charge 60 cents per MB for over usage - the thing is I have no concept of what this means. I guess what I want to make sure is that he cannot get on the internet and rack up $50 in charges to PagePlus somehow - I think they would cut him off after he uses the 20MB? I hope this makes sense - I can't find this info on the PP website. Thanks for making me feel retarded, lol

Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Carrier
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    If you don't have any money in your account, you won't be able to use data once you get to 20MB. Since you have $5 in there, it would pull from that until it ran out, then data would stop working. It would start working again as soon as you added a new monthly card once your 30 days are up.

Phones
    N/A
    Pantech Jest
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Data usage from browsing the web will vary widely depending on the sites you visit. Most mobile web pages are about 25 kB unless they have pictures. Thus you can view about 800 such pages with 20 MB, or an average of 26 per day. Turn auto-loading of pictures off in your browser to save a lot of data charges, and also install Opera Mini if your phone supports it.

You can browse some on your phone, then use your PC to check your Page Plus account and see how much data was used. But beware that the data counter sometimes takes more than a day to update.

Page Plus is totally prepaid. You pay upfront and then they owe you the service you paid for. There is never a situation where they will send you a bill for additional money. If you use all the service and run out of money your service will just stop until you pay more.

Phones
    LG Optimus S
    LG Optimus S
    HTC Droid Eris
    Carrier
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by aperry
    If you don't have any money in your account, you won't be able to use data once you get to 20MB. Since you have $5 in there, it would pull from that until it ran out, then data would stop working. It would start working again as soon as you added a new monthly card once your 30 days are up.
    OK, cool - I was afraid they might rack up the charges and then not renew the next 30 days unless we paid.
    thanks for the quick answers aperry & HF305

Phones
    Motorola E-815
    Moto E-815
    LG VX-5500
    Carrier
    Page Plus Cellular
    Feedback Score

Data usage estimator tool

http://www.vodafone.co.nz/mobile-data/datacalc.jsp

The above link will take you to a calculator tool so you can see what the usage is for various tasks. Hope it helps...
    "So we went to Atari and said, 'Hey, we've got this amazing thing, even built with some of your parts, and what do you think about funding us? Or we'll give it to you. We just want to do it. Pay our salary, we'll come work for you.' And they said, 'No.' So then we went to Hewlett-Packard, and they said, 'Hey, we don't need you. You haven't got through college yet.'"

-Apple Computer Inc. founder Steve Jobs on attempts to get Atari and HP interested in his and Steve Wozniak's personal computer

Phones
    LG Optimus S
    LG Optimus S
    HTC Droid Eris
    Carrier
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fearlessflyer
    http://www.vodafone.co.nz/mobile-data/datacalc.jsp

The above link will take you to a calculator tool so you can see what the usage is for various tasks. Hope it helps...
    Wow thanks! - that is an awesome tool- never seen it before. So just playing around, I determined that 20MB is really pretty much nothing, lol!

Carrier
    All of them.
    Feedback Score
    But how much of that stuff do you actually do every day? Downloading movie trailers at 300kbps and stuff lol.. thats more of a calculator for your home PC.

I don't even think video on the iphone 3g streams at 300kbps

Carriers
    Selectel
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuckles960
    The nice thing about answering general questions on a forum is that you reach more than one person at a time who might otherwise all call or write CS individually.

Phone
    Touch Pro 2
    Carrier
    Boost
    Feedback Score
    FWIW I have a Droid activated on PPC with the Unlmtd T&T 20mb plan...if I just use data to retrieve email from my POP account and occasionally look up a movie, address or sports score I can manage to stay w/i the 20mb limit...the one day I just was just randomly browsing (but not too much) I sucked up 12mb of data in a flash.

Phones
    motorola v300
    sidekick II
    Carrier
    t-mobile
    Feedback Score
    THAT is a wonderful way to answer a question. THANKS FOR THAT CALCULATOR!

:}

Phones
    Galaxy S4 Mini
    Galaxy S4 Mini
    Carriers
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    If you quickly browse only m.xxxxxxxxx.com sites, won't the usage stay fairly low?

I've got to get a new sig...

Carriers
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Wow, 10 emails a day + 15 web pages a day yields 57Mb/month!
    Guess I need to be careful!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast