Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 30

Thread: Straight Talk questions...using Net10 phone, and tethering laptop

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    29
    Phones
    Clay knows his *****
    Blackberry Pearl
    Carriers
    Alltel
    Feedback Score
    0

    Straight Talk questions...using Net10 phone, and tethering laptop

    I am currently an Alltel subscriber but have been thinking about switching to straight talk since I mostly just text.
    My questions are...
    1.Can I tether my laptop for internet with any of the Straight Talk phones?
    2. can Net 1o or Trac phones be used on ST service?
    3. Do any of the ST phones put your texts into a chat format like my Blackberry Pearl or Samsung Scoop?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    84
    Phone
    R451C (ST) Env3 (P+)
    Carrier
    Straight Talk, Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by EnvoyXL
    I am currently an Alltel subscriber but have been thinking about switching to straight talk since I mostly just text.
    My questions are...
    1.Can I tether my laptop for internet with any of the Straight Talk phones?
    2. can Net 1o or Trac phones be used on ST service?
    3. Do any of the ST phones put your texts into a chat format like my Blackberry Pearl or Samsung Scoop?
    1- No
    2- No
    3- no

    Feel free to correct me if I am wrong!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    29
    Phones
    Clay knows his *****
    Blackberry Pearl
    Carriers
    Alltel
    Feedback Score
    0
    I hope you are wrong. Where did you get this info from?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    894
    Phones
    LG 290C
    Nokia 6300 (unlocked)
    Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    0
    Number two is definitely a "no." I don't know if anyone has confirmed number one either way. However, it is against the Straight Talk TOS to tether your phone. I can give no information regarding number three. But I'm sure users of the individual phone models can eventually give you a definite answer.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    29
    Phones
    Clay knows his *****
    Blackberry Pearl
    Carriers
    Alltel
    Feedback Score
    0
    Number 2 was the least of my worries. I really like the way the texting is in a chat format on my scoop and pearl. Tethering is not that important to me, but it would be really nice if it can be done. I could give a **** about TOS.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    BP subsidized Gulf Coast
    Posts
    4,674
    Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by EnvoyXL
    Number 2 was the least of my worries. I really like the way the texting is in a chat format on my scoop and pearl. Tethering is not that important to me, but it would be really nice if it can be done. I could give a **** about TOS.
    maybe it`s Not Worth Mentioning but you could be 4EVER scolded for saying that about tos.
    Last edited by Tracfancier; 12-10-2009 at 05:13 PM.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Twin Cities
    Posts
    3,952
    Carrier
    I <3 Verizon!
    Feedback Score
    0
    You can definitely tether with ST. People have reported success with it on this very forum. I would recommend not porting my number in case they shut you down though. Since it's prepaid...if they shut you down, just go get another phone and start again.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    29
    Phones
    Clay knows his *****
    Blackberry Pearl
    Carriers
    Alltel
    Feedback Score
    0
    Joel, if you could point me toward that post it would be great. I did a search but couldn't seem to find anything.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Twin Cities
    Posts
    3,952
    Carrier
    I <3 Verizon!
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by EnvoyXL
    Joel, if you could point me toward that post it would be great. I did a search but couldn't seem to find anything.
    I'll look if when I get some time over the weekend. I'm not sure if there were ever instructions, I'm only sure of people reporting doing it. I'll look though.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4
    Feedback Score
    0

    Tethering Samsung R451C

    I would sure appreciate knowing how to do this as well.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    3,162
    Phones
    Lg G2X (Me)
    Samsung Flight -Girlfriend
    Nokia 2720 - Mom
    Carriers
    T-Mobile Monthly
    T-Mobile FlexPay
    Feedback Score
    0
    Tethering is against Straight Talk's TOS (see a post above). Odds are if you are successful in tethering and you are discovered, three possible things will happen.

    1. Your account will be terminated on the spot.
    2. You will lose the number associated with the phone.
    3. The phone will be blacklisted.
    T-Mobile’s new marketing campaign for Vermont and Western New Hampshire:
    “Try T-Mobile’s blazingly fast GPRS data network. We’re faster than iDEN and TDMA combined!”

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,376
    Phone
    Cingular 2125
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe12304
    You can definitely tether with ST. People have reported success with it on this very forum. I would recommend not porting my number in case they shut you down though. Since it's prepaid...if they shut you down, just go get another phone and start again.
    It's not a question of whether you *can* do something...with a little effort, almost anything is possible.

    It's a question of whether you're *allowed* to do it.

    Example: It's possible to rewrite the ESN number of many phones, using a variety of techniques. However, in the US, it's illegal to do so.

    Ability does not equal right.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe12304
    I'll look if when I get some time over the weekend. I'm not sure if there were ever instructions, I'm only sure of people reporting doing it. I'll look though.
    Thanks, Joel. If I learn something in the meantime, I'll let you know.

    James

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckknight
    It's not a question of whether you *can* do something...with a little effort, almost anything is possible.

    It's a question of whether you're *allowed* to do it.

    Example: It's possible to rewrite the ESN number of many phones, using a variety of techniques. However, in the US, it's illegal to do so.

    Ability does not equal right.
    Chuck, Can you tell me what "ST" is . Yes, and you are right, this is a game of "cat and mouse", that's what makes it fun !

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4
    Feedback Score
    0

    Tehering

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe12304
    You can definitely tether with ST. People have reported success with it on this very forum. I would recommend not porting my number in case they shut you down though. Since it's prepaid...if they shut you down, just go get another phone and start again.

    Joe, What is "ST". Would sure be interested in knowing !

    Thanks for the information.

    James

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks