Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Help moving an old Sprint phone to Boost CDMA

Feedback Score

Help moving an old Sprint phone to Boost CDMA

I posted this incorrectly in another forum, sorry everyone.

I have an old LG Rumor I had when I was with Sprint.

Since I'm a complete n00b, I have NO idea how I might go about using that old phone with the Boost CDMA service. I'd also like to keep my same Boost phone number.

I often use my phone as a tethered modem, and CDMA gets slightly better speeds...plus CDMA gets much better signal where I live than iDEN.

So, is anyone willing to help out a COMPLETE n00b? I'd probably need a step-by-step guide to swap the old Sprint phone to Boost, so I'd GREATLY appreciate the help if someone is willing to do it.

Phone
    LG Optimus T
    Carrier
    WFM
    Feedback Score
    MUST READ***Boost CDMA FAQs - Beginners, READ THIS

You need one of the 3 original BCDMA phones, then call and have your number ported to the CDMA side. Then you can swap in the Rumor.

Feedback Score
    oh...so I have to buy one of the three original phones first, activate it through boost customer service, port my existing number, then have them swap everything to the Rumor?

I read the link you posted....either I'm a retard or just technologically impaired..lol

Oh, and I don't see anywhere on Boost's site where I can buy one of their "official" CDMA phones. Are they not selling them anymore?

Phone
    LG Optimus T
    Carrier
    WFM
    Feedback Score
    Yup. You hit the nail on the head.

1. Obtain one of the 3 original phones.
    2. Call 1-877-tlk-more
    3. Tell them you are tired if iden and want to switch to CDMA.
    4. It will take 5 minutes to port you over.
    5. Give them the ESN of your CDMA phone.
    6. They will give you programming instructions for your CDMA phone...write them down.
    7. Thank them and hang up.

Now you have two options on how to get your rumor activated.
    1. Call back at a later time and try to get the Boost CSR to activate it. It is however, Boost's policy to only activate the 3 original phones. So be patient, and don't be rude.
    or
    2. Swap the phone using sprint.com.

You can search for detailed tips and instructions for either method.

It might be easier to use a Boost k1m krzr since it is EVDO already. It would save time and effort if all you want is tethering.

p.s. EVDO can be more than 40X the speed of iden data. So you won't be disappointed.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CrashVector
    oh...so I have to buy one of the three original phones first, activate it through boost customer service, port my existing number, then have them swap everything to the Rumor?

I read the link you posted....either I'm a retard or just technologically impaired..lol
    Get a used c290 on ebay for a few bucks (they sell banged up ones for $10, and those suffice for your purpose) and once you have your Rumor moved in just sell it for what you have in it on ebay or craigslist.

Number porting can be a bit of a challenge, but usually works out ok. If you are in one of the 13 "lucky" states it is automatic. If not you can still get Boost CS to port your number in by explaining that you need to keep your existing number for business, you just moved but all your clients are still in that area code, etc. It may take a few tries to get that done, but generally persistence pays off.

Phone
    LG Optimus T
    Carrier
    WFM
    Feedback Score
    Oh, and I don't see anywhere on Boost's site where I can buy one of their "official" CDMA phones. Are they not selling them anymore?
    ebay or craigslist.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by georgepa
    Get a used c290 on ebay for a few bucks (they sell banged up ones for $10, and those suffice for your purpose) and once you have your Rumor moved in just sell it for what you have in it on ebay or craigslist.

Number porting can be a bit of a challenge, but usually works out ok. If you are in one of the 13 "lucky" states it is automatic. If not you can still get Boost CS to port your number in by explaining that you need to keep your existing number for business, you just moved but all your clients are still in that area code, etc. It may take a few tries to get that done, but generally persistence pays off.

I live in one of the 13 states, so I could just buy an unlocked motoKrazr or whatever its called (lol), call boost and have them take the EID number (assuming it is some number on a sticker in the battery compartment) and port my number to the new CDMA phone. Do I have this right?

Thank you all for your patience with me, I'm not too good at these things, but the iDEN service is antiquated and I hate the phones, not to mention that CDMA works better at my house.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jac1599
    It might be easier to use a Boost k1m krzr since it is EVDO already. It would save time and effort if all you want is tethering.

p.s. EVDO can be more than 40X the speed of iden data. So you won't be disappointed.
    yeah, I DO tether a lot when I'm on the go. Hope my old boost dialup setting work or else I'll be back here asking tons of stupid questions again.lol

Phone
    LG Optimus T
    Carrier
    WFM
    Feedback Score
    You can't use an unlocked phone.

In order to start service, it must be a BOOST branded phone.

In order to use a phone on Boost, it must be a SPRINT branded phone.

I suggest searching these forums and google for how to tether a rumor or a krzr or whatever phone you decide to go with.. Some phones it is a whole lot easier than others. With my Samsung Intrepid I just have to plug in the USB cable and hit connect. But it wasn't cheap. With windows mobile phones, you can also use WMwifiRouter and connect via USB, BlueTooth, or WiFi.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jac1599
    You can't use an unlocked phone.

In order to start service, it must be a BOOST branded phone.

So Ebay then? I have never seen one a k1M for sale from Boost.

Phone
    LG Optimus T
    Carrier
    WFM
    Feedback Score
    All it takes is typing the model number and the word "boost" into the ebay search.

k1m

w385

c290

Feedback Score
    cool. Thanks. I'm really NOT this dumb except when it comes to stuff like this..lol

I was hoping I could do this like ASAP..but looks like im gonna have to wait for shipping and stuff now

Feedback Score
    I live in one of the 13 states, so I could just buy an unlocked motoKrazr or whatever its called (lol), call boost and have them take the EID number (assuming it is some number on a sticker in the battery compartment) and port my number to the new CDMA phone. Do I have this right?

Thank you all for your patience with me, I'm not too good at these things, but the iDEN service is antiquated and I hate the phones, not to mention that CDMA works better at my house.

You almost have it right.

You MUST start with one of the 3 Boost CDMA phones. Get one , on ebay or locally via Craigslist, or buy a brandnew w385 right on http://www.boostmobile.com. Then you can bring in any Sprint-branded phone aside from a few or use one of the 3 Boost CDMA phones. When you start service you will at that time be able to port your Boost iDEN number into your Boost CDMA account with ease, given that you are in one of the "lucky" 13 Boost CDMA states.

Phones
    Touch Pro 2
    i9
    W385
    Carrier
    Boost Mobile
    Feedback Score
    CV, there is a learning curve with this, but look how much money you will be saving by finding this information. You will basically be getting the same network and most of the plan features that cost $99 a month on Sprint for $50. In a year's time, you save $600. That's worth a few hours of reading, right?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff_adams
    CV, there is a learning curve with this, but look how much money you will be saving by finding this information. You will basically be getting the same network and most of the plan features that cost $99 a month on Sprint for $50. In a year's time, you save $600. That's worth a few hours of reading, right?
    Oh i agree, which is why im taking the risk of looking really stupid by asking newbie questions

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast