Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Straight Talk vs GoPhone

Phone
    HTC Droid Eris
    Carrier
    Page Plus Cellular
    Feedback Score

Straight Talk vs GoPhone

Currently I have a GoPhone PayGo phone. I pay $15 a month and spend $10 to get 1000 texts and $5 worth of talk time per month, which at 25 cents/min, is only 20 talk minutes. This has been working good, but lately I've needed more talk time.

I just found out about Straight Talk. For $30, I can get 1000 minutes, 1000 texts and 30MB per month. This seems like a really good deal.

Just a few quick questions:

1. Am I missing something, because this seems too good to be true?

2. Is it true that it uses the Verizon Network? If so, then I assume it will have better coverage than my current GoPhone, right?

3. Has anyone had any problems with missing text messages, etc? I text more than talk and in the past I've had troubles with Virgin Mobile prepaid, because some messages were lost, etc. Overall, is ST pretty solid with the messaging?

4. If I were to make the switch, I would get the Samsung R451C. Any opinions?

Thanks!

Carrier
    I <3 Verizon!
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jpzsports
    Currently I have a GoPhone PayGo phone. I pay $15 a month and spend $10 to get 1000 texts and $5 worth of talk time per month, which at 25 cents/min, is only 20 talk minutes. This has been working good, but lately I've needed more talk time.

I just found out about Straight Talk. For $30, I can get 1000 minutes, 1000 texts and 30MB per month. This seems like a really good deal.

Just a few quick questions:

2. Is it true that it uses the Verizon Network? If so, then I assume it will have better coverage than my current GoPhone, right?

3. Has anyone had any problems with missing text messages, etc? I text more than talk and in the past I've had troubles with Virgin Mobile prepaid, because some messages were lost, etc. Overall, is ST pretty solid with the messaging?

Thanks!
    1.) It's true
    2.) Yes it uses Verizon, yes Verizon blows at&t away
    3.) No problems texting
    4.) Not a bad messaging phone at all

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    If you can find the time, read thru the posts on ST. Others have spoken about problems they have had and in some cases how you can avoid these problems.

Phone
    HTC Droid Eris
    Carrier
    Page Plus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Ok thank you!

I've been reading up on the Samsung Finesse R810C and it seems awesome, I just wish it wasn't so expensive.

Is this phone good? And is it available anywhere else cheaper?

Also, does ST keep you updated on the amount of MB left per month so I don't go over?

Phones
    LG 300G
    LG Dare VX9700
    LG VX4650
    Carriers
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    GoPhone is a bad deal unless you want use your shiny GSM phone that you already own.

You are already missing since you don't use an inexpensive prepaid alternative. Any popular prepaid services like Tracfone, Net10, Straigth Talk, PagePlus, Mingo, AirVoice, cricket, or Boost are much better than goPhone from AT&T. Only thing missing from these cheaper prepaid plans is a better, consistent customer service. But, that shouldn't deter you. Use Howard Forums to learn and avoid paying higher cellphone charges.

It is correct that the underlying network is Verizon Wireless (could be only prepaid portion of VZW). Whether VZW is network (when using Straight Talk, Page Plus) better than AT&T depends on where you will be using the cellphone. In my case, when I was using post-paid AT&T, I had the absolute worst service. But, their GSM service seems to be much better where I am and have been using Net10 phone which uses AT&T network ( but only GSM ) and get the absolute best coverage ... and probably just a tad bit better over my Page Plus service which uses Verizon Wireless Network.

So, the best network coverage/reception for you would depends on where you would be using it. Is Verizon Wireless better or comparable than AT&T network where you will be using? If so, any Verizon based MVNOs like Straight Talk, Page Plus cellular will also provide same network coverage.

Also, note that coverage where you are might be absolute best for a given carrier, but you could be (where you live or work) right dab in the middle of a deadzone. This could be a problem considering this is winter and could be incovenient to go out to make or receive calls/texts.

In general VZW seems to have wider and reliable coverage...So check if this is indeed so in your case. Heck, it is even possible T-mobile or Sprint could be better coveragewise for you. So, only you can decide what carrier provides best coverage for you.

I have not had any text message problems that I know of. The above features would work exactly same on as the underlying carrier. Some people have noticed some delayed messages on some MVNOs but that seems particular to some locations. From the posts here on HoFo, it could be problem on the entire network in a given area not specific to any MVNO. Do check if where you are has any such issue.

If you bring your own phone on to Page Plus, you might need to modify the settings and turn on data (by calling Page Plus CSR) for MMS. This seems to be missed by many newcomers even though it gets posted every 10 posts or so.

Some people seem to be having some incoming calls dropped within 30-40 seconds into the call. Not all have the issue, though reading posts in Page Plus forum seems to give that impression. Would you be having this issue? I don't know. I have had a few dropped calls but not every call drops though. It seems to happen frequently on weekends.

If you prefer a QWERTY phone, it is one of the options. There aren't many other phones on Straight Talk to begin with anyway. Why not check it out and see if you like it. Some Wal-Mart locations seem to have them. Wal-Marts near me do not have straight talk phones at all. There's almost the same phone on Net10 (T401G) and is available in many retail outlets here but no Straight Talk phones as the area seems to be AT&T stamping ground.

Also search for "R451C" on these forums and you will find reviews.

Carrier
    Metro PCS
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by reddyp
    Also, note that coverage where you are might be absolute best for a given carrier, but you could be (where you live or work) right dab in the middle of a deadzone.

Some people seem to be having some incoming calls dropped within 30-40 seconds into the call. Not all have the issue, though reading posts in Page Plus forum seems to give that impression. Would you be having this issue? I don't know. I have had a few dropped calls but not every call drops though. It seems to happen frequently on weekends.
    Good pt. I live in what is supposedly stellar ATT. Map showed top coverage. But had a poor signal. Verizon, Sprint seem to work best for me for network coverage. Based on the posts on HOFO the problem with incoming calls seems to be affecting ST and about all Verizon MVNOS including PP but not Verizon Inpulse itself. But you're right not everyone is having trouble.

Carriers
    Sprint
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Page Plus might be a better option- you can use any verizon handset, not just the limited options straight talk offers.

Page Plus has $29.99 for 1200 minutes, 1200 texts and 50 megs of data.
    [SIZE][font=Geneva,Verdana]renew orleans

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Ok thank you!

I've been reading up on the Samsung Finesse R810C and it seems awesome, I just wish it wasn't so expensive.

Is this phone good? And is it available anywhere else cheaper?

Also, does ST keep you updated on the amount of MB left per month so I don't go over?
    The 810 has just become available so there is little known about it. Follow the posts, as those who have it are getting out the information about its capabilities.
    It is possible the price may come down in 6 months or so. If it becomes available through WalMart on-line you can get cashback by going through Bing Shopping for cashback. It was recently at 20% but goes up and down.

There is no such thing as going over, you just run out of what you have used up (text, talk or MB) and must refill to use the phone for the items you have used up. You can go online to the ST site and check what remains. You can also refill with either the fixed or unlimited plan each 30 days, your choice each time depending on your needs for the next 30 days.

Phones
    LG 300G
    LG Dare VX9700
    LG VX4650
    Carriers
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Cell Saver
    Good pt. I live in what is supposedly stellar ATT. Map showed top coverage. But had a poor signal. Verizon, Sprint seem to work best for me for network coverage.
    You probably have a phone that is using 3G coverage. Check with a phone that has only 2G coverage. I have had worse reception when 3G was used but have excellent reception when using 2G. Best reception was using GSM only with cellular option (instead of PCS).

Quote Originally Posted by Cell Saver
    Based on the posts on HOFO the problem with incoming calls seems to be affecting ST and about all Verizon MVNOS including PP but not Verizon Inpulse itself. But you're right not everyone is having trouble.
    I did some extensive checking using a Net10 phone, Verizon Wireless phone (PPC) and AT&T phone. I checked bars on signal strength indicator everytime I am the out on the road or in a building. Net10 phone (uses AT&T network) showed the highest number of bars while VZW phones showed a bar or two fewer. Generally speaking, the coverage was almost the same in urban areas -- at least in 95% of the cases. It seemed like every network had antennas on the same site/tower. When AT&T phone was on GSM/2G only, it was showing higher number of bars than when it was on 3G. May be AT&T didn't roll out 3G sites as well as plain old GSM/2G sites.

On main roads and highways there was absolutely no difference in number of bars shown on the phones. Off the main roads and highways (interstate, state, county) it varied....Net10 phone showed higher number of bars. Inside buildings too the Net10 phones had more bars than other phones. It showed 2 or more bars where there were zero bars on VZW CDMA phones.

After I switched to GSM/2G only using a Net10 phone, I have excellent reception.

May be you would have similar coverage if you test with a GSM only phone. A Net10 or Tracfone isn't that expensive to test if you don't have AT&T service.

Phone
    HTC Droid Eris
    Carrier
    Page Plus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Thank You all for the replies. I really appreciate the detailed responses and information.

I'm definitely starting to think that my GoPhone service is not my best option.

And as good as the ST plan is, I don't really need that many minutes.
    PagePlus seems like a good option. But there's so many choices.

I only need about 1000 txts, and 50-100 talk minutes per month. What's my cheapest option?

Thanks

Feedback Score
    Apples/oranges . Straight Talk wins for value and coverage.
    Att wins for phone selection, customer service and having a greater range of plans.

Phones
    LG 300G
    LG Dare VX9700
    LG VX4650
    Carriers
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Blue 023
    Apples/oranges . Straight Talk wins for value and coverage.
    Att wins for phone selection, customer service and having a greater range of plans.
    He is only restricting to prepaid or non-contract plans/services. This is not one of those topics about "Who's best? AT&T or VZW?"

Still it is not apples and oranges.

Phones
    HTC Touch Pro 2(T Mobile)
    Nokia E63
    Blackberry 8330
    Carriers
    Tmobile
    Simple Mobile(Backup)|Google Voice
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Oopsz
    Page Plus might be a better option- you can use any verizon handset, not just the limited options straight talk offers.

Page Plus has $29.99 for 1200 minutes, 1200 texts and 50 megs of data.
    What about the dropped incoming calls reported with p+ i actually want to activate my old blackberry

Phones
    LG 300G
    LG Dare VX9700
    LG VX4650
    Carriers
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    I only need about 1000 txts, and 50-100 talk minutes per month. What's my cheapest option?
    If you are texting 30 times a day or more, you better get a decent phone that doesn't suck at texting. This gives a preference to plans or carriers who let you bring your own device or have good phone selection.

Page Plus: A Page Plus Standard Rate Plan with Power Text Plan is probably the cheapest. This would cost you

$10 (100 mins standard plan) + $11 (Power Text 2000/month) = $21/month

Talk-n-Text 1200 Monthly plan isn't bad choice either. In addition, it would give you 50MB of data/month. At $30/month it isn't so expensive and simpler than above option of combining a standard rate plan with a monthly texting plan. If you find an inexpensive phone, you could even browse web. Wait a few more months, you might find one of those DRIOD phones for $100 or so.

You would have to buy a phone from Page Plus or elsewhere (CDMA phones only).

T-Mobile:
    Prepaid minutes on T-mobile Pay as you go Plan are 10cents/min until you reach Gold Reward Status.

$10 for calling + $50 for texts = $60/month.

However, if you use the phone only on few days but use very frequently on those days you use, Pay by the Day plan might be a good option.

Minutes stack with pay as you go plan. You would also earn rewards after spending $100 on t-mobile. You would save 15%, but it would still be $50+ per month on t-mobile.

Net10:

$10 for calls + $34 for texting = $44

You would need a 450 minutes card which gives you 1000 text @ 3 per 10cents and 120+ min of voice calls. Monthly cost would be $45 using Net10. Unused minutes stack on Net10. A T401G phone has a QWERTY keyboard.

So, Page Plus standard plan is the best option cost wise but Talk-n-Text 1200 monthly is simplest and not much expensive either. Remember though you would have to call Page Plus to switch from monthly to standard plan and back.
    Last edited by reddyp; 12-13-2009 at 05:14 PM.

Phones
    LG 300G
    LG Dare VX9700
    LG VX4650
    Carriers
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbox23
    What about the dropped incoming calls reported with p+ i actually want to activate my old blackberry
    It has not affected everyone... just try activating a phone with $10 card/minutes and see if you notice any dropped incoming calls.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast