Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Straight Talk SIM only?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracfoner View Post
    Straight Talk is CDMA, not GSM. There are no SIM cards.
    The new straigth Talk aré comino with a

Sent from my iPhone 3G using HowardForumsl

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by esthig97 View Post
    The new straigth Talk aré comino with a

Sent from my iPhone 3G using HowardForumsl
    Your I-phone dropped the post?

Carrier
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracfancier View Post
    Your I-phone dropped the post?
    lmao

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk

Feedback Score

How to program an unlocked nokia e7 for straight talk

Please answer. Walmart can't keep the nokia e7 in stock. My wife has found a couple well priced that are unlocked. Can they made to be used with straight talk and if so, how does it get programmed if there is no card?

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Angela Roberson View Post
    Please answer. Walmart can't keep the nokia e7 in stock. My wife has found a couple well priced that are unlocked. Can they made to be used with straight talk and if so, how does it get programmed if there is no card?
    A GSM phone will not work without a SIM card in it. The only place to get a SIM card that will work is to buy one of the two Straightalk Nokia Smartphones and use the Sim card from it. Buy only one phone from Walmart-store/online or ST direct.

Carriers
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Lightbulb Programming the nokia e71 (unlocked)

Quote Originally Posted by Angela Roberson View Post

Ok first to start gsm phones will only work with the proper provisioned sims card. two i have tried that route on buying a nokia e71 from ebay and other websites saying its a straight talk phone. DO NOT BELIEVE IT!!!!! Those phones are clones or they have a bad ESN making the phone pretty much only good for parts. If you want to double check to see if your not passing up a good deal go ahead and check it. To do so you will need the ESN of the phone you are wanting to buy then contact straight talk and ask them to check that ESN number in there computer to make sure its ok and clear. If they say its not pulling up or its not in their system DO NOT BUY IT!!! it would be a waste of money. you can try other wal-marts go to walmart.com search e71 it will pull up the nokia e71 for straight talk you can check to see what stores have it in stock around your zip code or you can order it directly from straighttalk.com the only reason it seams high in price there is cause the first month of service is included in the price of the phone. If you buy the phone at walmart your still gonna pay 200 for the phone plus 45 for the month of service plus tax so its still 245 buck either way. So dont try to be cheap and waste money on a phone that may not work just get a real straight talk phone from walkmart or straight talk and hels you get a one year warranty with the phone from nokia (1yr manufacture warranty)

Feedback Score

Nokia e71 sim card clear ESN

Thanks for the advice. They don't have them in a 50 mile radius around us so it just isn't available. When I was talking about the price I was talking about the one smart phone that straight talk still has that is basically $400. We want the Nokia but it just won't stay in stock which is why we looked at ebay. Thanks for the warning about sims and ESN issues.

Quote Originally Posted by prince4angel View Post
    Ok first to start gsm phones will only work with the proper provisioned sims card. two i have tried that route on buying a nokia e71 from ebay and other websites saying its a straight talk phone. DO NOT BELIEVE IT!!!!! Those phones are clones or they have a bad ESN making the phone pretty much only good for parts. If you want to double check to see if your not passing up a good deal go ahead and check it. To do so you will need the ESN of the phone you are wanting to buy then contact straight talk and ask them to check that ESN number in there computer to make sure its ok and clear. If they say its not pulling up or its not in their system DO NOT BUY IT!!! it would be a waste of money. you can try other wal-marts go to walmart.com search e71 it will pull up the nokia e71 for straight talk you can check to see what stores have it in stock around your zip code or you can order it directly from straighttalk.com the only reason it seams high in price there is cause the first month of service is included in the price of the phone. If you buy the phone at walmart your still gonna pay 200 for the phone plus 45 for the month of service plus tax so its still 245 buck either way. So dont try to be cheap and waste money on a phone that may not work just get a real straight talk phone from walkmart or straight talk and hels you get a one year warranty with the phone from nokia (1yr manufacture warranty)

Phone
    Iphone 5, LGOptimus L90, LG800G for sons
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Blue 023 View Post
    Why does this thread exist?
    so that dumb old *******s like me can ask this question:

I am confused, here in LA just like in other markets you can go and buy a verizon phone (CDMA) or go buy a AT&T phone (GSM) ? right?

so why can't I buy a GSM phone from Tracfone or net10 or StraighTalk and use it ? they buy airtime rights from both networks? correct?

ok let me have it educate a old fart.

Phone
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gregsmith59 View Post
    This is true, but there is another problem with this thread.

The OP assumed that ST used SIMs, even though about 1/2 the phones in the US do not. When you don't know what you are talking about it is much better to ask "Does ST use SIMs?" rather than "Where do I get an ST SIM?". Especially after you notice there is no mention of an ST SIM anywhere on HoFo or the planet Earth for that matter.
    IF you read the first few active post in this forum they are ALL about buying a Nokia e71 pulling the SIM CARD out sticking it into another phonwe like the blackberry sitting on my desk now or a Iphone if I "understood" it and using it. so imagine when less that genius users like me thought "hum" where can I get one of those Nokia e71's so I can pull that trick too.

no I'm not mad I'm just trying like hell to educate technical wisses like some of you on how "regular" folks think I still loveya

Phones
    Moto E
    Moto G
    Carrier
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score

Restatement of the Basics

Straight Talk, an America Movil company (TracFone, Net10, etc.), started out with CDMA phones, exclusively on the Verizon network. You could not bring any other CDMA phones from anywhere else to use on their service, unlike Page Plus Communications. But you could take their CDMA phones and configure them to be used on certain other carriers or service providers. These phones have "C" as the last character of their model numbers.

More recently, they came out with GSM service, with a different set of phones (GSM, of course), mostly very basic, and they primarily used AT&T's network. But like the other America Movil companies' GSM service, they sometimes used T-Mobile's network. AM gets a better deal on service from T-Mobile than AT&T. There's a lot written here on HoFo how to assure you get service from the carrier that serves you best. Like other AM divisions, and unlike all other common GSM carriers, the GSM phones are not swappable or interchangeable through the use of the removable SIM card; not within divisions, not between divisions, and not with phones outside AM companies. These phones have a "G" as the last character of their model numbers.

And even more recently, Straight Talk introduced the two Nokia smart phones (models E71 & 6790), which opened up a whole new frontier: The SIM cards in these two phones CAN be removed and used in other non-America Movil GSM phones. Thus the attraction to buy either of the $200 phones for their SIM cards, and use them in the smart phone of your choice; THE AT&T SMARTPHONE OF YOUR CHOICE if you want 3G service. Much is written here on HoFo about the caveats of doing this; what works, what doesn't. Peruse the different threads for more on any number of subjects.

Why is it this way with America Movil? That's just the way they've set it up, for their idea of a better business plan. They want a primarily closed system. The fact that loopholes and/or weaknesses are found that allow you to circumvent some of their physical barriers is just something for our advantage, and those types of things may not be permanent. So all interested parties would be wise to read and learn.

Edit: They have not discontinued use of CDMA phones. Straight Talk still has both, but in certain areas the use and availability of CDMA phones has diminished or disappeared entirely, probably because ST wants you to use GSM wherever possible, likely so they can increase their profit margins.
    Last edited by whacker; 03-01-2011 at 08:24 AM. Reason: clarification

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    If your idea is to do anything OTHER than just buy a ST phone from Walmart or ST and just use it as is; you had better do a lot of reading here on HO so you will learn where it can all go horribly wrong.

Phones
    Nokia 8290 (TMO primary and site checker) / 6200 (850 roaming) / 6340i (AT&T PAYG and site checker)
    Nokia 8290 on Simple Mobile (T-Mobile site checker)
    6340i (AT&T site checker) / 6200 backup GSM phone with 850
    Carriers
    Simple Mobile / AT&T PAYG (for backup & checking cell sites) / PagePlus (trial)
    Vodafone NZ / M1 (SIN)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rtoledo2002 View Post
    IF you read the first few active post in this forum they are ALL about buying a Nokia e71 pulling the SIM CARD out sticking it into another phonwe like the blackberry sitting on my desk now or a Iphone if I "understood" it and using it. so imagine when less that genius users like me thought "hum" where can I get one of those Nokia e71's so I can pull that trick too.

no I'm not mad I'm just trying like hell to educate technical wisses like some of you on how "regular" folks think I still loveya
    Please, use your head.

You are quoting me from 2009, when ST still used only CDMA phones.
    AT&T and T-Mobile SF Bay Area+ Cell Sites - with Cell ID labels
    http://sfocellsites.com/
    Over 1,100 AT&T sites in the 9 Bay Area counties + San Benito, Santa Cruz and Monterey counties
    Now over 1,500 T-Mobile sites in these 12 counties

Phone
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gregsmith59 View Post
    Please, use your head.

You are quoting me from 2009, when ST still used only CDMA phones.
    my appologies, did not see the date of your post. I'm reading to consider going back to tracfone net10 or ST. tired of Metropcs and have enough invested in phones as to not wanting to screw up.

thank you all for your valuable input.

Feedback Score
    @rtoledo2002 can i ask why you're tired of MetroPCS?

Phone
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by drtigerlilly View Post
    @rtoledo2002 can i ask why you're tired of MetroPCS?
    I REALLY hate the sound dropping out or a phone conversation where the call drops and 3 minutes later you realize the other person has not said anything. to be honest I'm old school, I'd rather use a computer than a 2x2 screen to surf and i rather talk to a person rather than text.

yes there are times when texting is better, but for the majority of the time it soots me better, besides I am around computers 24 hours a day so I have no need of one on my phone, getting the Samsung Caliber was fun for a week , then I gave it to the wife, who does NOT want to give it up , so she will stay with Metro for now. me and my son we are going the cheap route, finances are bad right now.

I never thought I would grow up and become a tight wad like my old man, but the bug is hitting me now

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast