Thread: Unlimited High Speed EVDO Data on Straight Talk - Yes, Seriously.

Phone
    MotoRAZR2 v9m on PagePlus
    Carrier
    PagePlus Cellular
    Feedback Score

Unlimited High Speed EVDO Data on Straight Talk - Yes, Seriously.

So I was browsing the StraightTalk.com website this morning, early morning heh... and checked out the details on the Samsung Finesse R810C on StraightTalk. It's a pricey phone, no doubt about it, but here are the details on it:

* Includes a 30 Day Service Plan card to get you started which provides: Unlimited Talk & Unlimited Text Nationwide, Unlimited Data and up to 30 days of service
    * Advanced Touch Screen
    * Widget Support for Quick Application Access
    * Mobile Web Access
    * 2.0 Megapixel Camera and Camcorder
    * MP3 Player (cable and SD card not included)
    * Virtual QWERTY Keypad
    * Bluetooth® Wireless Technology
    * Text, Picture & Video Messaging
    * High Speed Data EVDO
    * Hearing Aid Compatible (HAC) Rating: M4
    * Hands-Free Speaker

Thoughts?

Feedback Score
    There is a thread in their HoFo sub-forum where someone who has actually garnered the phone talks about her experience with the browser and EVDO. Good read.

mj

Phone
    MotoRAZR2 v9m on PagePlus
    Carrier
    PagePlus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Yeah I just got done reading it. It really is EVDO. Hmm. I really hope PagePlus does something with their data soon.

And thru 12/31/09 ST is offering 1 month free for the year if you signup on AutoPay. Pay for 12 months, get 1 free. That's... not a bad deal either.

$540 / 13 = $41.53 per month average for ST Unlimited.

Phones
    HTC Ozone
    iPhone
    HTC One V
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    very interesting indeed... but you gotta wonder if they arent padding that a little bit by charging over $320 for the phone...

Phone
    LG Env3
    Carrier
    Pageplus
    Feedback Score
    I wouldn't be surprised if vzn keeps the data limitations on their prepaids. It's the one thing holding back all the customers with their BB's and smartphones from jumping ship. With ST you are forced to use their selection of phones. PP with the same deal plus "bring your own unlocked vzn phone" would cause a stampede of defections. Still $45 for unlimited is a sweet deal on a great network.

Feedback Score
    Don't miss the small details when reading those reviews such as the phone being VERY locked down and unable to use high data websites like youtube, etc. Yes it is unlimited data; but only unlimited data to the websites and apps they want you to use. If it were truly unlimited where you could download any app and get to and use any website then that would truly be worth it.

The way ST/Trac word their terms of use it would be very easy for them to add even more limits if they find the users of the Finesse using up too much "unlimited data".

Feedback Score
    The fact that it is evdo is a given. The only thing in question is , is the browser true html or not. Right now, it appears to be a hybrid of sorts. Still better then wap.

Evdo meaning something is truly relative. Why? Which revision is it? If it is revision 0 vs Rev. A. Not much difference in download speeds, but upload?
    800% difference. Subtle seeming difference but in real life, pretty extreme.

Good example/parallel is this: Verizon prepaid offers unlimited web, including evdo devices , BUT , they handicap it by allowing only wap browsers.

Same with VM. Only one phone, The Shuttle allows 3G evdo, but it too has a wap brower. Yeah, you can put Opera on it, but still...one phone out of over a dozen has evdo ?

That's called crippling.

Carrier
    PagePlus - No Dealer Required
    Feedback Score
    I have been following the ST posts closely and it does seem that you cannot stream video or audio on the r810. Also I am not sure if any user has found a 3rd party app that the phone will accept? And technically the TOS agreement states that the phone cannot be used with any apps other than what it came with. (oh, and no tethering allowed per the TOS)

Phone
    Android
    Carriers
    -T--Mobile USA|Get More
    Feedback Score
    To bad the Samsung Finesse is a dumbphone, would love to have a smartphone on P+

Phones
    HTC Ozone
    Pantech PN-820
    Carrier
    1. Page Plus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    I read about the experiences of the owner of this phone in the ST forum. Looks like the browser is crippled - it doesn't work with some sites, and the speed is not so great also. No apps can be downloaded to it, as far as I remember...

Phones
    Sprint: iPhone 45-32
    Page Plus: Palm Pixi +
    AT&T:HP Pre3
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fonezfonz
    Evdo meaning something is truly relative. Why? Which revision is it? If it is revision 0 vs Rev. A. Not much difference in download speeds, but upload? 800% difference. Subtle seeming difference but in real life, pretty extreme
    IMO, upload speed is irrelevant unless you upload large pics or video. Most people don't. 99% of the time, "upload" consists of clicking on a link or sending text. Latency may be better, not sure.
    iPhone 4S-32: Sprint SERO............Palm Pixi Plus: Page Plus ..............HP Pre3: AT&T GoPhone
    talk smart WB2YGF

Feedback Score
    EVDO is great but I fully expected that mobile to be crippled.

Phones
    LG Dare
    LG enV Touch
    Palm Treo 700wx
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by johncase3
    IMO, upload speed is irrelevant unless you upload large pics or video. Most people don't. 99% of the time, "upload" consists of clicking on a link or sending text. Latency may be better, not sure.
    Here is a little "test" a friend and I did a while back.

LG vx8100 (Rev 0)

LG vx9700 Dare (Rev A)
    100th post Aug 22,2007 9:41PM
    200th post Valentine's Day 2008 10:15PM
    500th post July 22,2008 8:16PM
    --
    92% of teens would be dead if Abercrombie & Fitch said it wasn't cool to breathe.
    Put this in your signature if you are part of the 8% who would be laughing.