Thread: Using my Rogers Bold on cruise ship

Phone
    Treo 650
    Carrier
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score

Using my Rogers Bold on cruise ship

Wondering if anyone can help. Going to the Carribean on a cruise on Saturday. Want to be able to do text, BBM, emails without paying a lot of money. Phone is not the issue.

Can I take my Bold and put in a third party sim card from a company that operates in the islands around where the ship is going?

If not, what are the costs or best ways to communicate? I've heard BBM is the cheapest.

Thanks

Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Some major cruise lines offer a wifi pay service, this might allow you to use BB services without having to use roaming data ($$$) and you can just keep your Rogers SIM in the Bold. SMS will obviously work whether or not you take the wifi option and may be the cheaper option for basic communication. Bon voyage! 
    Current: Galaxy Nexus
    Retired: X10, BB9000, iPhone 3G, BB8900, w580i, Z520a, v878, A668
    RIP: BB8700, C333, v60, v66, L7089, SCP4500, Motorola 8000x

Phones
    Blackberry Bold 9700
    Blackberry Bold 9700
    Blackberry Bold 9000
    Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    The roaming rates on a cruise ship are, quite possibly, more expensive than rogers international roaming ;-) In all seriousness, it depends what ship/cruise line are you going on. It varies by company.

Here's Royal Caribbean's FAQ:

Cell Phone Service
    Stay connected to friends and family from all over the world with Royal Caribbean International's fleetwide roaming network and Royal Caribbean Online fleetwide onboard workstations and Wi-Fi service.

Royal Caribbean International has an advanced roaming network onboard all ships, allowing you to make and receive calls, voice mail, text messages and GPRS data using your own mobile phone and telephone number.

FAQs:

What are the mobile phone rates while onboard?
    Rates for usage of your mobile phone are determined by your home carrier.
    For more information, please contact your home carrier customer service.

How will I be billed for the usage time on my mobile phone?
    You will be billed by your home carrier for your international roaming usage on your regular mobile phone bill.
    It can take up to 60 days for charges to appear on your phone bill.

Can I access GPRS data service (e.g. check e-mail, surf the Net, etc.)?
    If your home carrier supports GPRS data service, you can use mobile phone service with compatible GPRS data capable devices to check email, surf the web, and share photos while onboard just as you would at home.

How do I call to the USA, Canada and the Caribbean when onboard?
    Dial 1 + area code and number just as you would at home.

How do I call to other countries when onboard?
    Dial "+," the country code and the full number.
    Verizon Wireless/Sprint users, dial "011," the country code and the full number.
    Go to the rogers roaming website (http://www.rogers.com/web/content/wi..._coveragerates) and click on "offshore"

Basically if its through rogers its $7 a minute for voice or 75 cents a text. Might as well use the ship's sat phones for $10 a minute haha.

Phones
    iPhone 5, a Novatel LTE data stick, and many others
    iPhone 5 (unlocked)
    iPhone 4 (unlocked)
    Carriers
    SaskTel
    Rogers (10 GB data plan)
    Feedback Score
    If you want to check out prepaid GSM options, http://www.prepaidgsm.net/ is a pretty good site. There are nice summaries of what all the prepaid providers around the world can do.

On the ship you won't find cheap rates unless you can receive service from shore.
    SaskTel 306, Rogers 647 data, Rogers 306 flex tablet, Bell 519 flex tablet, Wind 587, PureTalkUSA 406, T-Mobile 716 & 347 prepaid, AT&T iPad SIM 716, T-Mobile postpaid data 619, PagePlus 619 & 727

GSM phones: iPhone 5, iPhone 4, iPhone 3G, Nokia Nuron (AWS 3G), Otech F1 (quad-SIM 2G GSM), Nokia E63, Sony-Ericsson K610i, Sony-Ericsson Z310i. All unlocked. and a bunch of data sticks.

Feedback Score
    Tell your friends you're going on vacation and turn your phone off.

I'm going on a cruise in January and am planning on only making calls once docked and off the boat. Unless it's an emergency, there is no way in he11 I'm paying $7/minute to say hello to someone while I'm in the Caribbean with my girl...

Phones
    HP HW6515 Pocket PC
    Motorola ROKR E1
    Motorola V60c
    Carriers
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    If you are offshore: $7/min
    On-Shore: regular roaming rates

Data: onshore/offshore: $0.03/kb

Carriers
    Fido (Snoopy's Dog House)
    Feedback Score
    make sure your bolds unlocked before you buy a different carriers sim.
    My Feedback
    I put the "Ho" back in "HOFO"

Phones
    IPHONE 6+
    IPHONE 6+ 128
    I-PHONE 6+ 128
    Carriers
    rogers
    O 2
    Feedback Score
    On Royal Caribbean ships you roam on AT&T and the rate is the same as in the US. I get all my incoming text free and usually find free wifi when docked to get email and skype out. Getting a sim in every port for the 6-8 hours is useless and finding an internet cafe to phone home is very cheap.

Metro Vancouver{Surrey BC} (Desi/Apna Town)
    Carriers
    (Bell HSDPA&EVDO onPostPaid&PrePaid)
    [Telus Pre-Paid CDMA on 1x(Best Prepaid option in market)]
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by clarken555
    On Royal Caribbean ships you roam on AT&T and the rate is the same as in the US. I get all my incoming text free and usually find free wifi when docked to get email and skype out. Getting a sim in every port for the 6-8 hours is useless and finding an internet cafe to phone home is very cheap.

Do you get the same for AT&T GoPhone, Probably not but I thought I ask anyways because you seem to know about cruise ship roaming.

Thanks
    My Month to Month Bell Plan on HSPA/EVDO
    15000 Outgoing Seconds a Month(250Min), Unlimited Incoming Calls, Unlimited eve&weekend 6pmto8am,Unlimited Text From Canada to Canada&USA Incld LandLine, Unlimited FWDing, Enhanced Voice Mail, Caller ID, Conference Calling/Call Waiting, If I go over my 15000 Seconds (Extra seconds are 2.5c for every 15 seconds)=10c a Min, Canadian LD 2c for every 15 Seconds=8c a min, USA LD = 3.5c for every 15 Seconds=15c a min,
    $22 a month + BC Taxes @ 12%