View Poll Results: What is your Roam Mode setting?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Home Only

1 3.57%
  • Automatic

26 92.86%
  • No idea; whatever it was on when they activated it

1 3.57%

Thread: Roam Mode: Home or Automatic

Phones
    Blackberry Bold 9000
    Samsung Moment
    Sanyo Incognito
    Carriers
    AT&T
    US Cellular
    Feedback Score

Roam Mode: Home or Automatic

I was in the Sprint Store today, asking a rep about "dropped calls". My wife is in the first week of using her new Sprint service and mentioned to me she noted a couple of dropped calls earlier in the week. Could have been her location (she was in a gym) or perhaps the other caller's service. It has not been a common occurrence at all, but something she noted nonetheless.

Anyway, the rep suggested she try setting the roaming mode to HOME ONLY instead of AUTOMATIC. He said that staying on the home area mobile network while in our city would provide a more "stable" signal, minimizing drops... Switch to AUTO when you are traveling out of town.

Any thoughts??

Phone
    HTC Inspire 4G
    Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    It's something that goes around all cellular stores, hearsay and ********, really. Keep it on Auto, it keeps you on Sprint if there's signal, then roams if it has to. Home keeps you on Sprint, and if there's no Sprint signal, you have no service.

Phones
    Sanyo MM-9000
    Sanyo M1
    HTC Mogul
    Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Yep, hearsay. If your phone is constantly switching between Sprint and Roaming, then the Sprint signal in the area is garbage. Sprint phones will lock onto the lowest possible Sprint signal before going into roaming, so the service in that area must be really bad. The best thing would have been if you had a phone that could switch to "Roaming Only."

Phone
    Galaxy Note II
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeusallmighty
    I was in the Sprint Store today, asking a rep about "dropped calls". My wife is in the first week of using her new Sprint service and mentioned to me she noted a couple of dropped calls earlier in the week. Could have been her location (she was in a gym) or perhaps the other caller's service. It has not been a common occurrence at all, but something she noted nonetheless.

Anyway, the rep suggested she try setting the roaming mode to HOME ONLY instead of AUTOMATIC. He said that staying on the home area mobile network while in our city would provide a more "stable" signal, minimizing drops... Switch to AUTO when you are traveling out of town.

Any thoughts??
    I agree with the Sprint rep. My signal is more stable on Sprint only.
    drhz

Phone
    Kyocera DuraMax
    Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Only difference I have ever seen is my phone will say it is on Sprint more. Problem is it will say that when I'm well out of range of any Sprint tower. Try to make a call and it won't complete because the signal from the phone can't make it back to the tower. Pretty much a useless function from what I have seen. I know a lot of people that would agree with me after traveling across the country to have no service half the time and ask me about it. The phones were set to Sprint only which kept them from grabbing a roaming signal. The bad part is if you are in an area with no Sprint service and your phone is set to Sprint only you have no emergency services available. Some people don't mind going into the menus and changing that setting back and forth but the majority of users don't want to be bothered.

Phone
    Nexus5
    Carrier
    MattyBoy's Favorite Carrier - Cricket
    Feedback Score
    LOL... it doesn't create a more stable signal on Home only. Your phone will hang on to a Sprint that signal longer than it really needs to, as it will hang on to one that is not usable. Which in those times I switch it to Roaming Only. I have a shortcut on my homescreen that I tap to toggle it really easy since I have to use it in this long spaced tower area.
    Sprint LTE

Phone
    Kyocera DuraMax
    Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by digiblur
    LOL... it doesn't create a more stable signal on Home only. Your phone will hang on to a Sprint that signal longer than it really needs to, as it will hang on to one that is not usable. Which in those times I switch it to Roaming Only. I have a shortcut on my homescreen that I tap to toggle it really easy since I have to use it in this long spaced tower area.
    I need a phone where I could do that but I also need one that is rugged. I guess I would be better off going to a network that has better coverage in MO and IL. I hope Sprint starts making money so they can work on the network. They still fail to cover many major roads.

Phones
    att note 3, vzw charge
    ATT Note 3
    VZW Charge
    Carriers
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    An additional answer, such as "as appropriate". In my local area, which is both rural and hilly, I know where I will have reception issues. Otherwise, I use automatic.

Phones
    Sanyo MM-9000
    Sanyo M1
    HTC Mogul
    Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by macuser09
    I need a phone where I could do that but I also need one that is rugged. I guess I would be better off going to a network that has better coverage in MO and IL. I hope Sprint starts making money so they can work on the network. They still fail to cover many major roads.
    I have several Sanyo 7050's, which have a Roaming Only option. It's 1X only, but it's more rugged than the V950.

Phone
    Lumia 521
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I leave mine on auto as well. I do like having the option to force roam if needed.

Phone
    Kyocera DuraMax
    Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SprintGuru
    I have several Sanyo 7050's, which have a Roaming Only option. It's 1X only, but it's more rugged than the V950.
    The 1xrtt is the problem. Did that phone have a camera? If not then it isn't of much use. The camera on the 950 is decent only problem is I can't send pictures to att as I get a text message back about att having file size limits.

Phone
    Lumia 521
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by macuser09
    The 1xrtt is the problem. Did that phone have a camera? If not then it isn't of much use. The camera on the 950 is decent only problem is I can't send pictures to att as I get a text message back about att having file size limits.
    No camera on those phones.