Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Feedback Score

Best deal/plan for iPhone in Canada?

If somebody is looking to get an iPhone in Canada, which carrier is the best to go with in terms of getting the best overall deal? My budget is aproximately $60-70 per month, and I'd like to have caller is and VM, along with evenings and weekends and a decent amount of daytime minutes.

Is anybody out there (ie. future shop, best buy or other third party) providing any nice deals or promotions on the iPhone which include some extras?

Any help would be appreciated.

Phone
    iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    Fido, RedPocket, Kolbi
    Feedback Score
    All three iPhone carriers offer pretty much identical plans. The phone cost is dictated by Apple, so it will cost the same everywhere.

At $60-70 a month, there's not much to work with though.

I suggest Fido, because they bill by the second. Here's the lowest iPhone plan they offer:

250 daytime inutes
    Free evenings/weekends from 7pm
    Unlimited text
    Unlimited picture messages
    500mb of data
    Visual voicemail
    Call waiting and conference call

$65 + tax = 73.45

If you want caller ID, it's an extra $7.

$65 + 7 + tax = 81.36
    Current arsenal: iPhone 5S 16GB / 13" Retina Macbook Pro 2.5ghz 8GB ram / iPad 2 WIFI 16GB / Apple TV 2 / Slingbox Solo / Acer Aspire Z5610 touchscreen all-in-one / Acer Aspire netbook

Fallen soldiers: iPhone 5 16GB / iPhone 4S 16GB / iPhone 4 16GB / iPhone 3G 8GB / BlackBerry Pearl 8100 / Motorola L6 SLVR / Nokia 5190, 3390, 8390, 3220 / Ericsson T18z / Mitsubishi G310 / Motorola C333 / Sony Ericsson T237

Feedback Score
    Thanks Darkside, that's not bad. Actually pretty good because the evenings at Bell and Rogers start at 9pm. But I remember when callerid used to cost $2-3 per month, now it seems like a feature they ding you with to make more money. It's not like it even costs them anything at all.

Phone
    iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    Fido, RedPocket, Kolbi
    Feedback Score
    You can try and negotiate when you sign up. Just say that you're deciding between Fido and Wind Mobile. Wind offers caller ID for free.

Worst case scenario, 80 bucks for a pretty decent iPhone plan ain't bad.

Activation fee of $35 is also waived till the end of the year through Fido/

Phones
    V3 Razr
    Moto V551
    Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Wind doesn't offer the iPhone though

Phone
    iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    Fido, RedPocket, Kolbi
    Feedback Score
    ^... so?

The phone is irrelevant. The OP can simply say that he's debating whether to get an iPhone on Fido or a Bold 9700 on Wind.

Personally, I don't think they'll budge but it's worth a try.

Phone
    Galaxy S2X
    Carrier
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by darkside flow
    All three iPhone carriers offer pretty much identical plans. The phone cost is dictated by Apple, so it will cost the same everywhere.

At $60-70 a month, there's not much to work with though.

I suggest Fido, because they bill by the second. Here's the lowest iPhone plan they offer:

250 daytime inutes
    Free evenings/weekends from 7pm
    Unlimited text
    Unlimited picture messages
    500mb of data
    Visual voicemail
    Call waiting and conference call

$65 + tax = 73.45

If you want caller ID, it's an extra $7.

$65 + 7 + tax = 81.36
    For the same price, you get everything the Fido plan offers but with 6PM evenings, 1GB data and national my5 or unlimited messages with Telus on the ClearChoice 65 plan.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by syntaxerr0r
    For the same price, you get everything the Fido plan offers but with 6PM evenings, 1GB data and national my5 or unlimited messages with Telus on the ClearChoice 65 plan.
    Yes that looks pretty good too. Although Fido bills by the second, and has the offer for free activation until 12/31. So many choices.. sigh. I imagine I could negotiate with Telus as well, asking them to match Fido's $35 no activation fee offer, and maybe ask if they will throw in callerid. Maybe now with Wind around, it's a good time to ask for some extras and see what you can get.

Thanks everyone else for your input so far, much appreciated.

Phone
    Galaxy S2X
    Carrier
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CantTel
    Yes that looks pretty good too. Although Fido bills by the second, and has the offer for free activation until 12/31. So many choices.. sigh. I imagine I could negotiate with Telus as well, asking them to match Fido's $35 no activation fee offer, and maybe ask if they will throw in callerid. Maybe now with Wind around, it's a good time to ask for some extras and see what you can get.

Thanks everyone else for your input so far, much appreciated.
    Between the 1GB data (500MB with Fido) and 6PM evenings, you'll be saving more than the $35 activation fee in the long run.

Phone
    iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    Fido, RedPocket, Kolbi
    Feedback Score
    That Clearchoice 65 plan is pretty good too. See what I mean though.. all the plans are pretty similar. But with so few daytime minutes (250), I could never deal with billing by the minute. 250 would be gone in no time.

Feedback Score
    In terms of coverage and network, is Fido any good? I see on Telus' site they claim they have the largest 3G network in Canada. I really would like to get an iphone, but I hate the thought of a damn 3 year contract. I don't want to have to spend $650 for an iphone either. IMO these things are much too overpriced. The more I think about the situation and the high prices, this is how I eventually talk myself out of getting an iphone (or blackberry for that matter).

Phones
    Apple iPhone 5 64 GB, Nokia N8, Apple iPhone 16 GB 3G[S]®, Nokia N82, Motorola V710
    Motorola StarTac, LG5450
    Carriers
    Rogers,
    Feedback Score
    If Telus is charging you $650.00cdn for the phone on a 3yr contract you are getting screwed. Rogers charged me 199.00 on a 3yr contract and i'm satisfied with their coverage. I purchased my iPhone roughly 2yrs ago and even upgraded to a new 3GS for 199.00 this past july. Shop around and don't take no for an answer. Trust me on this Telco's are VAMPIRES they will do anything for your blood

Phones
    Motorola Razr V3m
    Samsung SCH A670
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    damn they charge you for caller id up there in canada? and I though US carriers were the ones with obscene fees...

Phone
    iPhone 4 Factory Unlocked
    Carrier
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    USA is like cellphone paradise compared to Canada.

Phone
    Galaxy S2X
    Carrier
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 3Gphreak
    If Telus is charging you $650.00cdn for the phone on a 3yr contract you are getting screwed. Rogers charged me 199.00 on a 3yr contract and i'm satisfied with their coverage. I purchased my iPhone roughly 2yrs ago and even upgraded to a new 3GS for 199.00 this past july. Shop around and don't take no for an answer. Trust me on this Telco's are VAMPIRES they will do anything for your blood
    WTF are you talking about? Regular price for a 16GB 3GS is $199 with a 3 yrs plan with Telus. If you do some research on the forum, you'll find a way to order through teamweb store and get a 32GB 3GS for $175. The 16GB is $94 and the 8GB 3G is less than $10.

While I agree we are paying a lot here in Canada, you should take into account the sheer size of the territory and small size of the population. If you want super cheap plans, go to Asia or to Europe, where the population density is 10 to 300 times the one of North America.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast