Thread: Text messages, anyway to save them off my phone?

Feedback Score

Text messages, anyway to save them off my phone?

Sorry if this has been asked before. I have a insurance phone I just got, and there are some old text messages I have I would like to keep for various reasons.

Is there anyway to get them over to the new phone, or anyway to save them off my phone?? I have a sammy a990 but I'm not sure that it matters what phone it is.

I tried forwarding a few to my personal email address, but I keep getting some stupid message saying it will not allow me to send to email because of additional features and extended message blah blah stuff, lol.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!!!

Phones
    LG
    LG
    Carrier
    Straight talk
    Feedback Score
    I have no trouble forwarding to my email from my Motorola w766

Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    You could forward them as a picture message (pix) and instead of sending them to a phone number, send them to VZW Pix Place (www.vzwpix.com). This might be called "online album" or something similar. You don't have to attach a picture in order to send a picture message.

Another option would be to hook the phone up to a computer using a USB cable and download using a program such as BitPim. I'm not sure if BitPim is compatible with the Samsung A990, but it's worth a try. Also, the Samsung factory software would work, but generally that's only available to carriers (the Verizon techs in the store would have it on their computer).
    My posts are my own personal opinion and not those of Verizon Wireless, or any of its parents or subsidiaries, or contractors.

Feedback Score
    I get the response of "Messages with enhanced features cannot be sent to email" when I try to forward the message to my yahoo email account. The messages I have are way over the 160 character count, which I belive vzw classifies as enhanced.

Can't send by pix message cause there is no way of forwarding the message in that format. Unfortunately I have no experience with vzwpix

Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Looks like when dealing with EMS messages (messages over 160 characters) the phone will not allow sending to an email address. Unfortunately, I do not have an EMS capable phone in order to test for sure. If I were you, I would either get a USB cable and try to download on your PC, or take the phones to the store and ask if they can transfer the SMS/EMS/Pix messages.

Phones
    N/A
    Droid 2 Global
    LG VX9800 "The V" (backup)
    Carriers
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    I second bitpim. I've never used it for that exact task but it does have the ability to retrieve and place SMSes (and pictures, ringtones, call history, etc.) onto the phone. It also alllows for directly going through the filesystem on a lot of devices. Amusingly when I ran bitpim on my aircard I found it has software for taking pictures and videos on it .

Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Don't know if you tried this but I save all my messages to Microsoft My phone application. This includes texts, pics, videos, etc...

http://sn1-p1.myphone.microsoft.com/...t.po?mkt=en-US

Feedback Score
    ^The option you mentioned wasn't available in Dec-2009, which is when OP started the thread.

Sent from my Nexus 4

Feedback Score
    Holy Dinosaur!!!! Good memory, my flip phone is a relic with the rest of my dated electronics lol!