Thread: transferring minutes on tracfone

Phones
    Motorola w376g
    LG 410g
    Carriers
    tracfone
    Feedback Score

transferring minutes on tracfone

I'm thinking about buying a new phone to transfer minutes. I'm assuming it's somewhat of an easy process, just call tracfone, Right?

Here's what I did. This past summer, I bought 300 for $30. that wasn't a very good idea for me because I hardly use any. I paid for 120 but got 300 mins with DMFL and bonus, of course. I'm under the impression that I have to get from 173 (current mins on my phone) to 120, thinkinjg that I can only transfer the minutes I paid for. Is this correct?

Feedback Score
    Maybe times have changed.

But it was not easy for me to transfer from one phone to another. They asked me all sorts of questions that I did not have answer for. I can't even remember what address I used on first phone - as the Enhanced 911 gave us here (in rural America) a new street address. We used to use RFD (anyone remember that?).

But I too would like to hear from others who have.

I would probably just buy a new phone and get a new number. Much easier.

Phone
    Motorola V176, LG600g, LG3280
    Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by clrockny24
    I'm thinking about buying a new phone to transfer minutes. I'm assuming it's somewhat of an easy process, just call tracfone, Right?

Here's what I did. This past summer, I bought 300 for $30. that wasn't a very good idea for me because I hardly use any. I paid for 120 but got 300 mins with DMFL and bonus, of course. I'm under the impression that I have to get from 173 (current mins on my phone) to 120, thinkinjg that I can only transfer the minutes I paid for. Is this correct?
    The best thing would be to use up the minutes on your current phone and start fresh with the new phone, rather than transfering as Tracfone has a record of killing the phones involved in transfers and then telling you you need to fax in all the receipts for all minutes and then maybe they can revive the phone.

Their excuse: some of the minutes may have been Bonus Minutes, and bonus minutes are to be used on the phone they were applied to, and are not transferable.
    And remember: the doubeled minutes are classified as bonus minutes by Tracfone.

Phones
    Motorola w376g
    LG 410g
    Carriers
    tracfone
    Feedback Score
    I'll be wary of that; maybe I won't transfer so I won't have to worry about that.

I'm just worried about minutes piling up. as a user who uses 10 or less minutes a week, and have an upcoming service end date (which I already bought a 60 minute card for,) I can see minutes piling up in the future for me.

They've got me in a trap. If I didn't want minutes piling up, I'd pretty much have to use my phone.

Maybe switching to page plus is a good idea (for the 100 minute, 120 service day plan)?

Phone
    Motorola V176, LG600g, LG3280
    Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    I'll be wary of that; maybe I won't transfer so I won't have to worry about that.

I'm just worried about minutes piling up. as a user who uses 10 or less minutes a week, and have an upcoming service end date (which I already bought a 60 minute card for,) I can see minutes piling up in the future for me.

They've got me in a trap. If I didn't want minutes piling up, I'd pretty much have to use my phone.

Maybe switching to page plus is a good idea (for the 100 minute, 120 service day plan)?
    Well, if you don't use your phone why bother to buy a new one? The current phone can sit idle just the same as a new one can. Also, you can buy service time one month at a time, as needed.

Carriers
    Tracfone, Net10
    PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannonball-II
    The best thing would be to use up the minutes on your current phone and start fresh with the new phone, rather than transfering as Tracfone has a record of killing the phones involved in transfers and then telling you you need to fax in all the receipts for all minutes and then maybe they can revive the phone.

Their excuse: some of the minutes may have been Bonus Minutes, and bonus minutes are to bo used on the phone they were applied to, and are not transferable.
    And remember: the doubled minutes are classified as bonus minutes by Tracfone.
    I believe your last sentance is incorrect. DMFL minutes are OK to transfer. It's not OK to transfer the 20 "starter" minutes nor any minutes gained for special bonuses (like the old CDMA transfer bonus) or web site glitches.

I have upgraded phones many times, including several in the last few months. I would not try to upgrade a phone that has never had paid-for minutes added to it. I was pretty nervous about my last few upgrades, but everything has gone fine. One was from a W376 with many minutes (most from a transfer from a previous phone) to a new W376. I was having trouble with the old phone so I felt I had to risk it. Another transfer was from a phone that had many minutes, including DMFL minutes and that transfer also went fine.

I do as much as possible from the web site so I never get a CSR looking at the account and possibly questioning where all the minutes came from. The minutes are legitimate, but I didn't keep reciepts or cards to be able to prove it.

Phones
    w370
    LG 200C
    Kyocera 126C
    Carriers
    Net10
    Feedback Score

Since your minutes were
    1- paid for minutes
    2- double minutes associated with a paid for minute transaction
    3- minutes from a bonus code associated with a paid for minute transaction

you should be fine to transfer to another phone. You can do it online yourself. I have several tutorials on my page for transferring. If you need assistance just contact me.
    There's no present. There's only the immediate future and the recent past.George Carlin

Phones
    Motorola w376g
    LG 410g
    Carriers
    tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jimates
    Since your minutes were
    1- paid for minutes
    2- double minutes associated with a paid for minute transaction
    3- minutes from a bonus code associated with a paid for minute transaction

you should be fine to transfer to another phone. You can do it online yourself. I have several tutorials on my page for transferring. If you need assistance just contact me.
    Really? how? I had know idea you could do it online. I only thought you could transfer the number online. I heard mosaic say he did it online, so I was wondering.

Phones
    Motorola w376g
    LG 410g
    Carriers
    tracfone
    Feedback Score
    oh, it's all on your page, excuse me. That's awesome that you have GSM to CDMA and vice versa.
    that part was a bit confusing when I first bought a tracfone, but I learned a tip: the letter after the name of the phone will tell you if it's GSM or CDMA. For ex, "W376G" would be gsm.

If all goes as planned, I'll transfer from my current 376g to that lg 410g (the bonus pack I saw at walmart, hopefully they have it, if not I'll have to improvise a plan to get another phone.)

Thanks a bunch for that. also, thanks for having screen shots. That part really helps, as just reading step-by-step might confuse me.