Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: T-Mobile why do you hate Nebraska?

Phones
    Blackberry Tour 9630
    iphone 3GS
    Carriers
    Sprint
    Feedback Score

T-Mobile why do you hate Nebraska?

I mean really, what exactly is your plan?

Why do you put up towers in Omaha & Lincoln and not completely cover the city?
    Why do you then disable roaming on AT&T in Omaha so our phones just don’t work unless we are on a rooftop?
    Why in the heck are some of the towers still GPRS?
    Why do you give the spectrum away to rural carriers and keep just Omaha and Lincoln?

I mean REALLY if you don’t want to service us why not just give it to Viaero or iwireless to build out like you did the rest of the state?

Why do you continue to sell prepay phones in places like BestBuy, Target & Radio Shack if you don’t have service to back it up? Heck you don’t even offer Omaha numbers!

Rumor has it the gPhone will be T-Mobile and yet another phone we can’t have or use because T-Mobile hates Nebraska.

Are there other markets like Nebraska where they have done this?

Where T-Mobile puts up just enough network so they don't loose the license then let it rot?

I just don’t get it.

(Before someone says nobody lives there... the 3 counties they need to cover where they already have towers are over 930,000 people.)

Phone
    LG G3 32GB M-Black
    Carrier
    AT&T 4G LTE
    Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I almost moved your post to the Rants/Raves section, but since you mentioned a specific state/region I moved it here.

I take it you are a Sprint customer who would like to use the newest hottest phone coming in early 2010 (Nexus One) but the T-Mobile native network outside the big cities is so poor that you are torn?

I don't blame you if that's the case.

I don't work for T-Mobile so the easy answer that I can give from the outside looking in is that the regional management for some reason does not or did not feel it's financially worth the return to expand native coverage in that area or allow for on/off network roaming. Whether new initiatives for 2010 have changed management attitude for your region is anyone's guess but if there are any local engineers that can chime in I'm all ears too.

Phones
    Blackberry Tour 9630
    iphone 3GS
    Carriers
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    I can't say I am ranting (ok I am) or raving, I was looking for a discussion on why this would be a business plan. It's been this way for years.

I am in the Omaha metro and currently have a iPhone, I can get AT&T with OK coverage or I can get T-Mobile with HORID coverage.

If I lived 20 miles west I could get Viareo who has excelent coverage and a roaming agreement with AT&T for Omaha proper.

If I lived 20 miles east I could get iwireless with great native coverage in Iowa but horid coverage in Omaha proper because of the no AT&T roaming.

Their "Policy" has created this black hole of T-Mobile coverage that they don't care about and allows AT&T their GSM monopoly because they will not give up the license.

This is not Rural area, they gave all that spectrum away. The term I want to really use is S*it or get off the pot.

It's not that they don't value it, they just don't want anyone else to have it either.

Carrier
    Verizon Wireless (Since March 2002)
    Feedback Score
    Other than the regional AWS licenses they hold, I wonder if they invested in any A & B blocks of AWS for Omaha. That too wouldn't make sense if they're only going to have the minimum built out, just to hold onto the licenses. This is exactly why I don't have T-Mobile in Indiana. I travel thru Newton County Indiana, and there's no coverage at all, but the PCS license they have for Chicago also includes Newton & Jasper Counties of Indiana. Newton County has no coverage, while Jasper County only has coverage along I-65. With AT&T taking over Centennial Wireless, roaming might be blocked later on, if not now.

Benton County Indiana is another county that T-Mobile has a license to cover (in fact, the license for Lafayette Indiana covers Benton County), but chooses not to build out, and doesn't allow roaming on AT&T, as AT&T has Benton County tied into Lafayette Indiana. Sprint has a PCS network there, and it's mainly along US 41 & US 52 (where most people live nearby, which would be good enough coverage).

Starke County Indiana has coverage mainly along US 30 heading toward Plymouth, and eventually Fort Wayne. T-Mobile phones hold onto a weak signal in Knox & North Judson. AT&T has a PCS network in Knox (from the old ATTWS), and it covers Knox very well (better than Verizon's cellular network, and I know since I'm a Verizon user, and it's crappy there). For where T-Mobile can pickup a Centennial signal, I don't know if the roaming will continue when AT&T integrates into their network.

Phone
    Motorola StarTAC, 1st gen iPhone 16GB
    Carrier
    Page Plus & KTC PACE Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Perhaps T-Mobile doesn't own very much GSM spectrum in Nebraska. AT&T is anemic in that area of the US too.

Find the regional GSM provider in that area and perhaps sign up with them.

Phone
    iPhone 5s, Black
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Honestly? From what I remember their are only "license saving" networks in both Omaha and Lincoln. Networks that are just large enough to satisfy the gov't requirement to keep their PCS licenses in those markets. Having been there i can back up what the OP is saying 100%, the network in both places is horrid, i mean bad in ways I have never seen a T-Mobile network be in all the other places I have been. If i remember right there has been ongoing discussions for years as to whether it's "worth" spending the money to actually provide decent coverage. I'm guessing the answer still is no since they have leased the rest of their NE spectrum to Viaero. I believe the NE market is still part of the KC Metro area market so far as engineering goes. That severely limits the dollars that can be spent in NE.

Jeff
    HoFo Feedback

Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Question T-Mobile is a Joke in NE

So now according to their map they have a skeleton 3G network in Omaha. I guess just cover enough population to keep the FCC off their back. There are still plenty of white pockets in that map!

Just sell Omaha/Lincoln to Viaero already. They have the rest of the state totally covered and covered well.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffro01
    Honestly? From what I remember their are only "license saving" networks in both Omaha and Lincoln. Networks that are just large enough to satisfy the gov't requirement to keep their PCS licenses in those markets. Having been there i can back up what the OP is saying 100%, the network in both places is horrid, i mean bad in ways I have never seen a T-Mobile network be in all the other places I have been. If i remember right there has been ongoing discussions for years as to whether it's "worth" spending the money to actually provide decent coverage. I'm guessing the answer still is no since they have leased the rest of their NE spectrum to Viaero. I believe the NE market is still part of the KC Metro area market so far as engineering goes. That severely limits the dollars that can be spent in NE.

Jeff

Phone
    iPhone 5s, Black
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I agree, or just go ahead and buy Viaero and get it over with that way as well....

Jeff

Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Viaero and iWireless would be great additions to native coverage! I just spoke to someone that travels frequently on business to Omaha and he had to switch carriers because of T-Mobile's lack of coverage there. It is a shame that Nebraska been neglected for so long...
    T-Mobile iPhone 5s | Verizon iPad Mini | Verizon BlackBerry Bold 9930 | FreedomPop Overdrive

Phone
    Samsung t409, Samsung Gravity TXT, and Nokia Lumia 710
    Carrier
    T-Mobile GSM/3G/4G/UMA (voice/text/data)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffro01
    I agree, or just go ahead and buy Viaero and get it over with that way as well....

Jeff
    I agree seeing T-Mobile purchase Viaero would be nice, that and I-Wireless (in Iowa). Maybe even CellularOne in Montana!
    T-Mobile. Connecting you when you need it most... disconnecting you when you need to connect with God's beautiful creation! Service is great in cities and highways, but in rural areas they leave you with just your surroundings. I encourage you to get T-Mobile, disconnect for a while!

I am glad that God is not like cell phone coverage. He does not hide behind mountains or loose us down long windy roads. The Lord levels mountains, and He makes our paths straight!

Carriers
    Verizon
    T-Mobile Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=873033

Believe me. I wish they'd just give the Omaha side to Viaero like they gave Council Bluffs to iWireless.

Phone
    Nexus 5, Galaxy S4 GPE, Moto X, iPad Air, Nexus 7
    Carrier
    AT&T, VZW
    Feedback Score
    Has the situation in Omaha, NE improved any? The coverage map looks decent and its showing "4G" coverage..

Edit: Still can't sign up for new service there..but they have rolled out HSPA+..odd

Carriers
    Verizon
    T-Mobile Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Nope, their coverage still sucks ***. They upgrade the equipment they have, but add zero new towers.

Phone
    Nexus 5, Galaxy S4 GPE, Moto X, iPad Air, Nexus 7
    Carrier
    AT&T, VZW
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Droid: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2.1; en-us; HTC Desire CDMA Build/FRF91) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Why don't they sell service there? If they go to the bother of upgrading their network there wouldn't they want all the people they can get to use it?

Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

It's not usable, that's the problem. It's "license holder" coverage for pcs and aws.

Last I heard they still won't let you roam on AT&T so you are out of luck outside the I-680 loop.
    Last edited by rfguygg; 12-12-2010 at 01:53 PM.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast