Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Page Plus Coverage compared to Verizon

Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Page Plus Coverage compared to Verizon

When I was traveling to SW Mo, I was unable to use my Page Plus phone. Now I know why; there is a considerable difference between theirs and Verizon's coverage.

VERIZON

PAGE PLUS

Is the difference because as a MVNO, Page Plus does not get access to roaming partners which are counted as native for VzW post-paid subscribers? [I am assuming that Verizon pre-paid customers are likely limited to a similar footprint as Page Plus.]

Phones
    N/A
    Pantech Jest
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Those are VERY old maps.

You are correct that VZ Prepaid is the same as Page Plus. They both charge extra in roaming areas.

Go to Verizon's site, click the coverage map at the bottom of the home page. The first map you see will be for postpaid. Click "prepaid" at the bottom and reload the map.

Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    This was my source of the Page Plus map:
    http://alink.us/coveragemap.htm

The Verizon map was from last year.

And when I was in SW Missouri, I was not "charged extra" as you say. I simply could not send or receive calls [in Seneca] unless I was actually running off a Verizon tower [in Joplin].

Most everyone there has either AT&T or US Cellular.

Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    That map doesn't include the former Alltel areas that are now part of PP's coverage.

Carrier
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Page Plus has a Coverage Map that is on their website. It is up-to-date, or at least it was a few months ago..

Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    What is more important than how current the maps are is the meaning of the coverage for those considering switching to Page Plus.

I found out for myself that as an MVNO, their customers' coverage will be even more restrictive than the host's pre-paid users. Trust me on this: Page Plus will not charge you extra for roaming; they just won't let you roam at all.

So don't get Page Plus unless the places you go are clearly in the Red areas.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wralford
    What is more important than how current the maps are is the meaning of the coverage for those considering switching to Page Plus.

I found out for myself that as an MVNO, their customers' coverage will be even more restrictive than the host's pre-paid users. I have found Page Plus will not charge you extra for roaming; they just won't let you roam at all.
    Really?

http://www.pagepluscellular.com/Why%...age%20Map.aspx

The yellow areas are roaming.

And look at the rate plan:

http://www.pagepluscellular.com/Plan...rd%20Plan.aspx

Notice the entry for "calls while roaming".

Why do you say PP "won't let you roam at all"?

Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by adam1991
    Why do you say PP "won't let you roam at all"?
    Because I've actually done it.

When I was in a place with spotty Verizon coverage, the most I could get was 2 bars, but I could send/receive calls. When I had four or five bars, I could not make a call -- because I was roaming. The handset said so and a recorded message would come on saying that the call could not be completed.

Let's review: 2 bars = connected call. 5 bars = no call.

Maybe Page Plus will let you roam if you have a certain amount of extra funds in your account. I keep an extra $20 or so for MMS [I'm on the Unlimited plan with auto-pay] and that wasn't enough.

Page Plus is good for those who use their phones as phones and are in areas with strong Verizon native coverage. I fall into both categories and am therefore quite satisfied with the service.

But I would caution those who want to run Blackberrys, travel a lot and/or live in rural areas.

Phones
    Nokia 8290 (TMO primary and site checker) / 6200 (850 roaming) / 6340i (AT&T PAYG and site checker)
    Nokia 8290 on Simple Mobile (T-Mobile site checker)
    6340i (AT&T site checker) / 6200 backup GSM phone with 850
    Carriers
    Simple Mobile / AT&T PAYG (for backup & checking cell sites) / PagePlus (trial)
    Vodafone NZ / M1 (SIN)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wralford
    This was my source of the Page Plus map:
    http://alink.us/coveragemap.htm

The Verizon map was from last year.

And when I was in SW Missouri, I was not "charged extra" as you say. I simply could not send or receive calls [in Seneca] unless I was actually running off a Verizon tower [in Joplin].

Most everyone there has either AT&T or US Cellular.
    Using old coverage maps is not helpful. Why not just go to the source?

Seneca, MO is apparently in a primarily roaming area with a couple Verizon cell sites mixed in. It looks like Verizon covers I-44 (hence Joplin) and maybe US-71. Otherwise you are probably going to be on US Cellular roaming coverage in MO, and whoever the local carriers are in OK etc. If you are indoors or using a poor reception phone your odds of rolling onto roaming increase. Why your roaming did not work at that time is unclear.

Looking at the real coverage map suggests there is a site near where I-44 meets US-71, and that the hole of this roaming donut has a radius of about 20-25 miles.
    AT&T and T-Mobile SF Bay Area+ Cell Sites - with Cell ID labels
    http://sfocellsites.com/
    Over 1,100 AT&T sites in the 9 Bay Area counties + San Benito, Santa Cruz and Monterey counties
    Now over 1,500 T-Mobile sites in these 12 counties

Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    If you get a verizon signal, however weak, your in market. You can't in market roam. Not even postpay lets you roam in market. Sprint allows in market roaming.

Phones
    LG 300G
    LG Dare VX9700
    LG VX4650
    Carriers
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by monomoy7
    If you get a verizon signal, however weak, your in market. You can't in market roam. Not even postpay lets you roam in market. Sprint allows in market roaming.
    How would you roam on to another network while you are in market?

Feedback Score
    From my own experience at least on pageplus.

There is area on the map that show no coverage or roaming coverage but I got full coverage and no roaming charged. Location is Union City, IN and Union City, OH
    According to the PP or Verizon prepaid map it is either no coverage or roaming.

wralford,
    Have you tried updating your prl by dialing *228 and choosing option 2 or dialing *22891?

Wralford, the phone you are using is it EVDO?, Try forcing 1x if the phone is capable. If you need to ask if you phone is capable of forcing 1x, post this question in the phone thread located here

http://www.howardforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=518

It sounds like it could be a phone problem as well. Any phone question also go in the phone thread.

Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I only visit SW Missouri infrequently. If I lived there, I would be forced to emulate the vast majority of the native population and switch to the Death Star.

I return to my original [and larger] point: MVNOs are more suitable for those who confine their wireless usage to voice/text and live in areas where the host network has strong coverage. Fortunately, that is the case for me.

Heavy data users, those who travel and/or live in rural areas, etc. will have their needs better served with other options than the likes of Page Plus.

Phones
    LG 300G
    LG Dare VX9700
    LG VX4650
    Carriers
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gpatrick900
    From my own experience at least on pageplus.

There is area on the map that show no coverage or roaming coverage but I got full coverage and no roaming charged. Location is Union City, IN and Union City, OH
    According to the PP or Verizon prepaid map it is either no coverage or roaming.
    Another thing with PPC PRLs is they seem to be weird. I was barely 70 miles out of home area (for my number) and the roaming indicator showed up. This is in a very big metro area. The PRL was updated a month ago on my phone. I updated the PRL again after noticing the roaming indicator and it disappeared.

The roaming indicator should never be showing at all since the coverage in these areas was always native since as far as I can remember.

Incorrect roaming indicator is just a nuisance rather than actual indication of roaming as there is double dialing anyway.

Carrier
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    The great thing about prepaid is that it is cheap to carry more than one prepaid service. If page plus is roaming you can have a back up like t-mobile prepaid or a tracphone. One great thing about tracphone is that it give you postpaid coverage. But page plus should roam when there is no native verizon signal. I had no problem roaming but had to pay 59c per minute.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast