Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cricket Coverage

Feedback Score

Cricket Coverage

Hi,

Does Cricket use another larger cell phone providers networks like Sprint or Verizon Wireless, or do they have their own towers? Is roaming included in any of their plans when not in their coverage area?

Thank you

Phone
    Nexus 5
    Carriers
    MetroPCS
    Feedback Score
    Hello Jumpsman23,

Cricket does indeed have their own towers and network within their coverage areas.

They also partner with Sprint and Verizon for roaming outside of Cricket coverage.

Whether or not roaming is included depends on what market you live in. For example, here in the Chicago market the $50 and $60 plans include 30 and 200 minutes of roaming per month, respectively.

Those plans are $5 off per month right now. Providing that you sign up during the promotion you would lock in that price as long as you kept that calling plan.

I would try them out, I switched recently and have been able to cut my bill nearly in half over US Cellular. I have the $50 ($45) plan.

Carrier
    T Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    I have a question..

Is there a website that shows where Crickets coverage towers are located? And on their website they have their $45 plan marked down to $40..if I sign up with that plan while its priced at $40 will I always pay that price-even if it shoots back up?

Phones
    White Galaxy S5 & White iPhone 6
    LG G-Flex, Nexus 4, Nexus 5
    Carrier
    T-Mobile & AT&T
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    You're month to month so the price isn't really guaranteed at all.
    Google+
    Happy T-Mobile Customer since '09
    Content AT&T Customer since '12

Carrier
    T Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by iFone3G
    You're month to month so the price isn't really guaranteed at all.
    So how would it be guaranteed? I wasn't aware Cricket does contracts?

Phones
    White Galaxy S5 & White iPhone 6
    LG G-Flex, Nexus 4, Nexus 5
    Carrier
    T-Mobile & AT&T
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    They don't do contracts, it's all month to month or prepaid. They can change the prices any time they want but if they deviate too much people will just leave thus, kind of locking in the current rates.

Carrier
    T Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    I see, makes sense..

But why then do they still have the regular $40 plan when the $45 plan is now $40?

--And do you know if Cricket gives out their tower locations?

Phones
    CRK Samsung Indulge / Nokia E7, Xperia X10i (T-Mobile)
    CRK Samsung Indulge
    Nokia E7, Xperia X10i (T-Mobile)
    Carriers
    cricKet
    Boost Mobile / AT&T (killing off/4Testing)
    Feedback Score
    you just got to look at there map and see if your in there or not, as far as i know unless you work for cricket or ask someone that knows the company very well they wont tell you on there site, i dont think anyone dose unless there adding a new tower.

Blog Coming Soon(If it ever happens)
    "My needs outweigh the needs of the many"
    Dream Phone Coming Soon: Nokia N9 and Motorola Triumph

Phone
    Nexus 5
    Carriers
    MetroPCS
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ztmike
    I see, makes sense..

But why then do they still have the regular $40 plan when the $45 plan is now $40?
    Because the $45 plan at $40 is a promotional $5 discount, the normal price is indeed $45 for that plan.

While Cricket may be a month-to-month service, I can tell you with confidence that you would lock in the $40 price as long as you kept the account active, providing you sign up while the discount is still being offered.. Much as other companies will "grandfather" your plan in when prices go up and plans are changed/discontinued.

There are 2 ways you would lose your discount: stop paying your bill and they close your account after 60 days of inactivity (and the discount is not still being offered when you reactivate); or you change your rate plan, at which point you would get the then-current price for that plan.

Hope this helps clear things up a bit.

Phones
    BB 8130
    BB 8130
    Carrier
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    I have a question..

Is there a website that shows where Crickets coverage towers are located? And on their website they have their $45 plan marked down to $40..if I sign up with that plan while its priced at $40 will I always pay that price-even if it shoots back up?
    www.mycricket.com then go to the coverage map at the top. Be sure to sign up for the premium extended coverage if you can. Its the best!

Carrier
    T Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fuzzylogic870
    www.mycricket.com then go to the coverage map at the top. Be sure to sign up for the premium extended coverage if you can. Its the best!
    That just shows Crickets "basic" coverage..according to their website, I would get service everywhere in my area..which is not really the case for ANY cell phone provider.

In any case, I did find this website: http://www.antennasearch.com but I'm not sure which cell tower belongs to Cricket or if even Cricket gives that location info out to the public.

As far as the "premium coverage" I'm actually confused about that..according to Cricket this is what they say about premium coverage
    Premium Extended Coverage allows you to use your phone outside Cricket local and national coverage areas without roaming charges
    To me that makes it sound like they don't charge for roaming rates..but they clearly do as only the $45 and $55 tier plans have 30mins and 200minutes respectively.

So what exactly does premium coverage mean for my $40 tier plan?

Phones
    Hero, Touch (Vogue), Touch (Vogue), Hero, TP, Droid
    Mogul Retired, Treo 650 Retired
    Lingo Retired, Samsung A640 Retired
    Carriers
    Green Mobile
    Feedback Score
    That just shows Crickets "basic" coverage..according to their website, I would get service everywhere in my area..which is not really the case for ANY cell phone provider.

In any case, I did find this website: http://www.antennasearch.com but I'm not sure which cell tower belongs to Cricket or if even Cricket gives that location info out to the public.

As far as the "premium coverage" I'm actually confused about that..according to Cricket this is what they say about premium coverage

To me that makes it sound like they don't charge for roaming rates..but they clearly do as only the $45 and $55 tier plans have 30mins and 200minutes respectively.

So what exactly does premium coverage mean for my $40 tier plan?
    As for Towers not many companies will tell anyone where they are. All the towers in my area are owned by the same company and the Antennas are owned by varios companies as well.

The PEC "Premium extended coverage" is just as the name states, it is extended coverage. Most likely Metro PCS! You will not be charged roaming in that area. Now if you go back to the coverage map it does show you where you will be charged for roaming. (Sprint and Verizon most likely)
    So to sum it up
    PEC is extended coverage no roaming.
    Roaming areas charges roaming rates
    Both are clearly defined on the coverage map at www.mycricket.com

and in all technicality the $45 plan is really a $50 plan and the $55 plan is really a $60 plan with a Promotional $5 discount on each. Yes they both include roaming minutes to use in those areas indicated on the coverage map as roaming.
    So if your talking about the $45 plan with the promotional $5 discount then yes it includes PEC.
    If you are talking the actual $40 plan then no it does not.

Carrier
    T Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by whitey10tc
    As for Towers not many companies will tell anyone where they are. All the towers in my area are owned by the same company and the Antennas are owned by varios companies as well.

The PEC "Premium extended coverage" is just as the name states, it is extended coverage. Most likely Metro PCS! You will not be charged roaming in that area. Now if you go back to the coverage map it does show you where you will be charged for roaming. (Sprint and Verizon most likely)
    So to sum it up
    PEC is extended coverage no roaming.
    Roaming areas charges roaming rates
    Both are clearly defined on the coverage map at www.mycricket.com

and in all technicality the $45 plan is really a $50 plan and the $55 plan is really a $60 plan with a Promotional $5 discount on each. Yes they both include roaming minutes to use in those areas indicated on the coverage map as roaming.
    So if your talking about the $45 plan with the promotional $5 discount then yes it includes PEC.
    If you are talking the actual $40 plan then no it does not.
    So for the coverage area on mycricket.com the darkest color (the top choice of "Excellent" is actually coverage from Crickets own cell towers? ..Or it also looks like the one below that also is covered from Crickets own towers.

Looks like the yellow for "Extended coverage" is really no where near me except for in middle Michigan or Indy, IN

I'm in zip code: 46360

As far as the roaming minutes, I do have the $45 plan that is marked down to $40 atm, but if I get roaming minutes how come it doesn't say that under the plan? According to their call plans only the top 2 tiers have roaming minutes.

Phones
    Hero, Touch (Vogue), Touch (Vogue), Hero, TP, Droid
    Mogul Retired, Treo 650 Retired
    Lingo Retired, Samsung A640 Retired
    Carriers
    Green Mobile
    Feedback Score
    So for the coverage area on mycricket.com the darkest color (the top choice of "Excellent" is actually coverage from Crickets own cell towers? ..Or it also looks like the one below that also is covered from Crickets own towers.

Looks like the yellow for "Extended coverage" is really no where near me except for in middle Michigan or Indy, IN

I'm in zip code: 46360

As far as the roaming minutes, I do have the $45 plan that is marked down to $40 atm, but if I get roaming minutes how come it doesn't say that under the plan? According to their call plans only the top 2 tiers have roaming minutes.
    Yes that is correct if you are in the top 2 coverage colors on the map then you are natively covered by cricket if in the yellow it is PEC and the other is roaming .

According to your zip you are also in a Trti-band AWS market.

Now for roaming only the $50&$60 plans come with Roaming
    The $45 plan comes with PEC "yellow coverage" which is not roaming but is extended coverage.

So if you want roaming minutes you will need the $50 or $60 plan.
    Also note that your area is AWS coverage and regular CDMA phones will possibly not work in natively in those areas.

Phones
    BOOST
    VIRGIN
    ZAPP
    Carriers
    Simple Mobile
    PAGE PLUS
    Feedback Score
    a birdie told me that there are changes coming in the coverage area coming very soon. it would make sense. boost will be unveiling unlimited nationwide coverage on the cdma side of sprint this week. now u will be able to get fully functioning blackberrys on boost. cricket has to respond, somehow. they are losing lots of numbers to the other pre paid's

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast