Thread: Can you cancel data plan on a smartphone upgrade

Feedback Score

Can you cancel data plan on a smartphone upgrade

Hi,
    In past i was able to buy a smart phone upgrade and cancel the data plan and use the smartphone only with wifi. I used to keep the data plan for couple of months and t-mobile was happy as long as i don't cancel the line. Now i see at different places saying that you have to keep the data plan for life of the contract. Is this true? I only upgrade from t-mobile or i add lines from buisness direct. Any recent experience with this?

Phones
    BB Curve 8900
    BB Curve 8320
    BB Pearl 8120
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Data plans are a required feature if you take the discount on the handset. You do have to keep it on there for the length of the contract you sign. They are also giving instant discounts on most data devices and not making you deal with MIR.

Feedback Score
    but what if i lost my phone and then switch a phone to non-smart phone. Are you saying they will force me to keep the data plan? In past this was not enforced. Is there a contract on data plan that reps see? In other words i upgraded and signed up for a data plan. Another person borrowed smart phone from his friend and signed up for a data plan. Two months later we both switch to a non-smart phone and call t-mobile that we no longer need data plan. Will they allow other person and not me?

Phones
    BB Curve 8900
    BB Curve 8320
    BB Pearl 8120
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    They can potentially lock you to a data service... such as texting... I haven't dealt with this, but you are signing a contract for a feature to get the discount on the phone. If you don't want the discount then don't sign the contract and pay MSRP.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by boniam
    but what if i lost my phone and then switch a phone to non-smart phone. Are you saying they will force me to keep the data plan? In past this was not enforced. Is there a contract on data plan that reps see?
    The name of the data plan is changed slightly on your account to reflect that it is a required smartphone data plan. That is how the rep knows if you call in the future and ask for the data plan to be removed. Per T-Mobile policy they are supposed to tell you no.

In answer to your question about a lost smartphone. Apparently T-Mobile's policy is that if you lost the smartphone and then purchased a dumbphone from them, they would then cancel your smartphone plan. The downside to this is, you have to pay full retail price for a dumbphone. You can not just bring your own dumbphone.

T-Mobile is able to give lower up front prices on smartphones due to the fact that you're agreeing to keep the smartphone data plan on the account for two years.

Phones
    Apple iPhone 2.5G - 8GB Unlocked
    Ericsson T28z
    Carrier
    ATTWS ("AT&T blue", 2001-current),
    Feedback Score
    Yeah you must keep it on there... that's why you got your smartphone for the price you did. Its having a required feature on your account. But if you lose the phone and then change to a dumb phone it can be removed and messaging or whatever put back on. I dealt with something like this today in the store.
    Michael

Phones
    White Galaxy S5, White iPhone 5
    LG G-Flex, Nexus 4, Nexus 5
    Carrier
    T-Mobile USA, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Isn't it 2YC that's on the data feature?

Speaks for itself, Sprint. Try more actions and not lip service.
    Google+

Phones
    HTC Touch Pro 2 - XDA Rom/Radio
    HTC Touch 3G - SOLD
    O2 XDA Flame - SOLD
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    i have read a lot of other forum posts about people getting the touch pro 2 and cancelling data on same day or week.

just tell them you have no use for the plan as you are giving the phone to someone or a person that cant utilize data.

their policy says you cant cancel data, but they usually still do it. saves you money and you get a free phone, but of course if you add a line to get the phone, the line stays for 9.99 a month

check out slickdeals and they have tons of these workaround and tips for you when you search the forum

Phones
    HTC One
    TouchPro2
    Wing (unlocked)
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Not so fast everyone. If you're out of contract and are willing to open a new line, you can call the business direct number to see what terms they'll give you for a free TP2. Other people have stated that they've received deals similar to the one I got at Thanksgiving. When I spoke to a CSR it was a Saturday and maybe she wasn't very experienced but after asking about it, she let me have the TP2 without any data/text feature. Just the basic EvenMore talk plan. Then after using the new phone for about a week, I called and another CSR migrated the new 2 yr. contract over to my OOC plan, let me continue the grandfathered terms (inc. $5.99 T-zones) and dropped the unneeded new phone number. I swapped SIMs and everything was set.
    The key is to see what the CSR offers...and this was even before I mentioned I had another line. I was going to think about it for a day but was talked into taking it with the idea of cancelling it later if necessary.

Phones
    White Galaxy S5, White iPhone 5
    LG G-Flex, Nexus 4, Nexus 5
    Carrier
    T-Mobile USA, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The business line is different.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mikey626
    their policy says you cant cancel data, but they usually still do it.
    No, they usually don't. As iFone3G said, the plan says 2YC in the name which stands for two year commitment. When the rep sees that he just politely tells you no, he can't remove it.

In addition, if you can't get it off, the monthly smartphone plan on Even More is up to $30. That's $720 over a two year period that more than offsets the "free" phone.

If you're so certain of what you read, why don't you order a TP2 and let us know how it goes for you.

Phones
    HTC Touch Pro 2 - XDA Rom/Radio
    HTC Touch 3G - SOLD
    O2 XDA Flame - SOLD
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000
    No, they usually don't. As iFone3G said, the plan says 2YC in the name which stands for two year commitment. When the rep sees that he just politely tells you no, he can't remove it.

In addition, if you can't get it off, the monthly smartphone plan on Even More is up to $30. That's $720 over a two year period that more than offsets the "free" phone.

If you're so certain of what you read, why don't you order a TP2 and let us know how it goes for you.
    I did think about ordering the TP2, but I got 2 on eBay when they had 20% cashback. I saw the deal for the TP2 after on the forums, but I already have 4 lines, and it would only mean I could get 1 phone.

It's worth it for ones that don't mind paying the extra $240 (2 year contract) for the extra line.

It all comes down to if you want to do it or not. I found the info too late, so I don't bother with it.

Phones
    Nexus One
    RIM BB Curve 8900
    TMo Wing
    Feedback Score
    Sometimes it might be easier to just add a new line then use it for 15 days, cancel it then pay the ETF, bonus if you can just get a dumb phone, if you're eligible for upgrade, and resell it to offset the cost. That's what I'm thinking about doing to get the BB 9700 for about $150.

Phones
    Apple iPhone 2.5G - 8GB Unlocked
    Ericsson T28z
    Carrier
    ATTWS ("AT&T blue", 2001-current),
    Feedback Score
    I was dealing with a customer yesterday that decided that she just did not want the G1 anymore. It was a 2 year upgrade w/contracted data plan android web. She was within return policy. So i returned the phone and we went with the gravity 2. I told her that i will take off the android web obviously because she was returning the G1 and was going to put her on the 1000 messages for 10 bucks.

When i went to remove it and apply the changes, it gave an error that said REQandroidweb<24.99> (or whatever the code is) cannot be removed, it is a contracted rate feature. When i called customer care explaining that i could not remove this, the rep could not either. He had to get a supervisor to change it and that the G1 was confirmed returned by me and the rate plan was taken off and switched to the messaging 1000 plan for the gravity 2.

So in special cases it can be removed i suppose, like this for example. But it has to be done by a sup. at customer care.