Thread: What exactly does NO ROAMING mean...???

Feedback Score

Question What exactly does NO ROAMING mean...???

A friend of mine is sending me a Striaght-Talk LG220C phone for which I am very thankful.

Somewhere.... I saw something about this phone (or perhaps even ST in general) not having "ROAMING" capability.

I know very little about cell phones and/or carriers. Does this mean that if I go into a ROAMING area, the phone won't work? Does it mean that if I ROAM it will use up minutes at an accelerated pace? Can someone explain in simplified terms what all this means and how it will impact me.

Thank You

LEESA (I)

PS: I live in NJ.

Phone
    LG VX5500 X2 (PPC) - LG800g (TF) - Nokia 6030 (T-Mo)
    Carriers
    Page Plus X2 (Verizon) - T-Mo2Go(GR) -
    Feedback Score
    ST operates on the Verizon network. Unlike most other Verizon MVNO ST will not "roam" off of VZW native coverage. Page Plus as an example will roam on other carriers (for a price).
    With ST when you leave native coverage you will have no service.

Phones
    Nokia 5310 w/Jabra BT250V handsfree, Nokia 6010, Nokia 6030
    Nokia 6310i, Nokia 8310 (Europe)
    Carrier
    T-Mobile US, Fido, T-Mobile NL, Orange IL
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Curious_One
    A friend of mine is sending me a Striaght-Talk LG220C phone for which I am very thankful.

Somewhere.... I saw something about this phone (or perhaps even ST in general) not having "ROAMING" capability.

I know very little about cell phones and/or carriers. Does this mean that if I go into a ROAMING area, the phone won't work? Does it mean that if I ROAM it will use up minutes at an accelerated pace? Can someone explain in simplified terms what all this means and how it will impact me.

Thank You

LEESA (I)

PS: I live in NJ.
    Roaming has nothing to do with the handset and everything to do with the network. You can only roam where your carrier has an agreement that you can use another carrier's system. Depending on your plan or your carrier's agreement it will either be included in what you normally pay to use the service or it may cost extra to use a service in a roaming situation. Many prepaid services do not have any roaming available.
    Moderator yahoogroups forum T-Mobile-US http://groups.yahoo.com/group/T-Mobile-US

Phones
    N/A
    Pantech Jest
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    It means that wherever your phone works, calls will always cost the same standard price.

In some areas the only cellular signal may come from another company, one that Straight Talk does not have an agreement to use. You cannot make or receive calls there. You may have signal bars on the phone, but if you try to make a call (other than 911) you will hear a recording that the call cannot be completed. Companies have to allow free calls to 911 from any phone no matter what the contract situation.

Verizon covers all of NJ quite well. You should not have any issues unless you leave the state.

Feedback Score
    Hi... Thanks very much for all the information guys.

LEESA (I)