Thread: TM717 as WiFi

Device(s)
    TM717
    Carrier(s)
    T Mobile USA - Los Angeles
    Feedback Score

TM717 as WiFi

Gurus
    Is it possible to use my TM717 as a Wifi Internet connection for other devices such as an iPod? Please advise, thanks!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxMarti
    Gurus
    Is it possible to use my TM717 as a Wifi Internet connection for other devices such as an iPod? Please advise, thanks!
    No, the TM717 doesn't have wifi bands.

This can be done with T-Mobile devices like the Dash 3G and the Touch Pro 2.

Device(s)
    TM717
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Interesting, is it difficult to do? I think I may have a chance to return the TM717 and upgrade it to the DASH or TP2. Then again, I would also have to modify it to tether on the 5.99 t-zones plan. Will I have to purchase the dataplan on the DASH or TP2?

Feedback Score
    Interesting, is it difficult to do? I think I may have a chance to return the TM717 and upgrade it to the DASH or TP2. Then again, I would also have to modify it to tether on the 5.99 t-zones plan. Will I have to purchase the dataplan on the DASH or TP2?
    Apparently it's not too hard to do. I've not done it, but it just uses some networking which is built into the Win Mo operating system. Both the Dash 3G and the TP2 have been reported to use T-zones as well. Sometimes when you get those devices from T-Mobile with a subsidy discount, they want to take off the T-zones and add the data plan. That's the only problem. You don't need to take it the T-zones off, but T-Mobile does try to upgrade you. You can find out more specifics in device forum.

Device(s)
    TM717
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I'm in the process of getting either the Dash3G or the TP2. I Would like to be able to use my ipod anywhere. I think Im beginning to understand the meaning of a junkie!

Feedback Score
    i am considerring change to n1

Device(s)
    TM717
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    dfdff
    which is the n1? does it do all tricks like the dash or tp2?

Feedback Score
    dfdff
    which is the n1? does it do all tricks like the dash or tp2?
    n1 is short for HTC Nexus One. That's the phone released by Google phone last week. Like most Android phones, to tether you have to root it. It doesn't tether out of the box like the TP2 or Dash 3G.

Device(s)
    LG V20 and LG G Pad X 8.0
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile One Plan 6+1 lines
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (HTC Touch Pro 2: Pharos-Traveler 137/1.0 Opera/9.50 (compatible; Windows CE; PPC))

Gurus
    You must use a 3G router to make it work though you can use bluetooth.

Optimum/Cablevision

Device(s)
    TM717
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Scottish, can the iPod use the TM717 as an internet connection? I tried using bluetooth but it would not connect, please advise!!!!!

Device(s)
    LG V20 and LG G Pad X 8.0
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile One Plan 6+1 lines
    Feedback Score
    Scottish, can the iPod use the TM717 as an internet connection? I tried using bluetooth but it would not connect, please advise!!!!!
    First of all, does your iPad connect to phone using bluetooth DUN or PAN?
    Second, TM717 cannot be used as modem out of the box, though bluetooth PAN is still possible. To make tethering possible, you must hack the phone using the Customize.xml I provided.
    Check Equinox debranding thread.

Feedback Score
    I think the issue is that the ipod touch has bluetooth PAN, however, it is included in the device so that some apps can use PAN to play multi-player games with nearby devices.

I went to an apple store and tried connecting the touch to the Equinox. While I could pair the device, there was no connectivity option available on the touch to create a PAN.

Perhaps an app could be developed which would allow this. But I have not seen it.

Device(s)
    TM717
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I'm able to pair it via BT, but (it appears) it's a simple DUN BT connection. It would be great to create a PAN BT connection OR enable a Network connection on the TM717. Would a router make the connection?

Feedback Score
    I'm able to pair it via BT, but (it appears) it's a simple DUN BT connection. It would be great to create a PAN BT connection OR enable a Network connection on the TM717. Would a router make the connection?
    Yes if you have a wifi router connected to the TM717, the ipod touch should be able to connect. Consult this thread for some router suggestions:

http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...r#post13127883

I'd be interested if you have any success doing this.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus 256GB
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000
    Yes if you have a wifi router connected to the TM717, the ipod touch should be able to connect. Consult this thread for some router suggestions:

http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...r#post13127883

I'd be interested if you have any success doing this.
    I was the OP in the other thread that jet1000 referenced above. I have a debranded TM506 (prev. generation of the TM717) and purchased the Zoom 4506 3G Travel N router. It was pretty straightforward to set it up to use the TM506 in the configuration webpage and now have 3G delivered to all my WiFi devices (we have Tmo 3G where live). I have used it in my car and in my work office all without issue.

The router cost me around $95 with shipping and I picked up the TM506 off of craigslist for $50 several months ago. It is my version of a poor man's Verizon MiFi since I am able to use it with the $5.99 T-Zones vs. paying $59.99 per month for a MiFi, albeit the footprint is bigger than the MiFi. Overall, I am very happy with the setup.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast