Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Unwanted text-to-landline

Carriers
    WIND Mobile (09/2010-present)
    Bell 05/2005-08/2006, Virgin Mobile Canada 08/2006-11/2009, Fido 11/2009-09/2010
    Feedback Score

Unwanted text-to-landline

Grr... when I transferred numbers to my new phone it marked some of the landlines as primary and thus a few of my texts last month prompted a text-to-landline. I seem to recall it sent me a message confirming whether I wanted to text to landline and I chose not to reply to that confirmation - which should have been enough to make it not happen.

When my bill came though I was charged for premium messages. The Fido rep gave me a one-time credit but says the only solution is for me to make sure I know every number I'm texting is a mobile. This is irritating... mistakes happen now and then, wrong numbers get typed, wrong buttons get pushed. Why should I be charged when I did not send a yes confirmation and I did not want this service on my line at all?

There should be an option to disable this service. The rep says no such option exists unless I want to disable all text messages.

Phones
    Rogers BlackBerry Bold 9000
    Rogers BlackBerry Bold 9700
    Carrier
    Proud User of the ROGERS 3G Network
    Feedback Score
    Rep is correct. You must have approved it at one point in the past for it to be working now. And there is no way to disable it.

Carriers
    Bell 05/2005-08/2006, Virgin Mobile Canada 08/2006-11/2009, Fido 11/2009-09/2010
    Feedback Score
    I've only had Fido for 2 months. The one time I remember getting that notification, I purposefully said to myself "Yuck, no, I don't want them getting any stupid text to landline. Let me find the right cell number." I did not, ever, approve the sending of any landline texts. Nobody in the world wants to hear a garbled robotic voice read out an SMS.

Phone
    Samsung Impact
    Carrier
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Wow that is too bad. Its free on Bell so I have that feature, but honestly what good is it. Agreed with cmstlist.

Metro Vancouver{Surrey BC} (Desi/Apna Town)
    Carriers
    (Bell HSDPA&EVDO onPostPaid&PrePaid)
    [Telus Pre-Paid CDMA on 1x(Best Prepaid option in market)]
    Feedback Score
    its also free on telus , and its also free to text to the USA with Bell & Telus incld land lines and to make it even sweeter on Telus CDMA you can text from the USA too
    My Month to Month Bell Plan on HSPA/EVDO
    15000 Outgoing Seconds a Month(250Min), Unlimited Incoming Calls, Unlimited eve&weekend 6pmto8am,Unlimited Text From Canada to Canada&USA Incld LandLine, Unlimited FWDing, Enhanced Voice Mail, Caller ID, Conference Calling/Call Waiting, If I go over my 15000 Seconds (Extra seconds are 2.5c for every 15 seconds)=10c a Min, Canadian LD 2c for every 15 Seconds=8c a min, USA LD = 3.5c for every 15 Seconds=15c a min,
    $22 a month + BC Taxes @ 12%

Carriers
    Feedback Score
    Gah, it happened again this week. My friend was giving me her new cell number at a party and she switched a digit by accident. I sent her a test SMS and I got a reply from 465641 with that good old "Message to landline/à numéro fixe xxx-xxx-xxxx: If written in English,reply E to send it. S'il est écrit en français, répondez F pour l'envoyer." And when I checked the next day, sure enough my Fido account shows one premium message sent (which will cost me 50¢ I believe). I elected not to respond to the message because I didn't want it to go through.

But here is the freaky part: The message was timestamped 6:43 PM, May 1st; yet the next day I received a duplicate message at 6:43 PM, May 2nd. And now I check my account again and it shows 2 premium messages. WTF?

Phones
    iPhone 4
    Motorola RAZR v3
    Motorola w510
    Carriers
    Fido Postpaid
    Cosmote What's Up
    Feedback Score
    I've had the exact same thing happen to me 6 months ago. This concept is ridiculous for Fido to charge us. Are they expecting us to check and find out whether or not a number is a landline or mobile before sending a text? This isn't Europe, there should be no differentiation between the two.

Quote Originally Posted by cmstlist
    Gah, it happened again this week. My friend was giving me her new cell number at a party and she switched a digit by accident. I sent her a test SMS and I got a reply from 465641 with that good old "Message to landline/à numéro fixe xxx-xxx-xxxx: If written in English,reply E to send it. S'il est écrit en français, répondez F pour l'envoyer." And when I checked the next day, sure enough my Fido account shows one premium message sent (which will cost me 50¢ I believe). I elected not to respond to the message because I didn't want it to go through.

But here is the freaky part: The message was timestamped 6:43 PM, May 1st; yet the next day I received a duplicate message at 6:43 PM, May 2nd. And now I check my account again and it shows 2 premium messages. WTF?

Feedback Score
    I feel your pain... honestly.

It's not even the fact that they charge us, its annoying that they charge you without warning. I also find it strange that even though Fido runs in parallel to the Rogers network, Rogers customers receive a confirmation text messages first. You would think fido would have the same option.

I find it funny how they assume that all customers only send a couple of text messages a day, with a few contacts in their list, and that we manually type out each number.
    Last edited by kawg; 05-07-2010 at 10:09 PM.

Carriers
    Feedback Score
    See I'd have figured that the response message *is* the confirmation and I shouldn't be charged at all if I don't respond. It should offer the option to text "STOP" to prevent it from going through at all.

Carriers
    Fido (Snoopy's Dog House)
    Feedback Score
    the question is, is there a SOC code a CSR can put on our acount or remove from it to opt out of SMS to land line?
    My Feedback
    I put the "Ho" back in "HOFO"

Carriers
    Fido
    Cantel AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by goldeneyed
    I've had the exact same thing happen to me 6 months ago. This concept is ridiculous for Fido to charge us. Are they expecting us to check and find out whether or not a number is a landline or mobile before sending a text? This isn't Europe, there should be no differentiation between the two.
    Yes. We do expect you to know if a number is a landline or mobile before you send a text? If you are not sure, why don't you call them and ask? This is same thing if you had Fido to Fido feature or Wind to Wind or Bell to Bell Etc...

When you meet someone and they give you their number, it's common sense to ask them if this is their mobile or home or work number. What I actually do when I meet someone and we do exchange mobile numbers, I would call the other person so my number registers on their display or I ask them to call my cell so their number register on my CD. Then I would edit their contact info.

Quote Originally Posted by Paolo
    the question is, is there a SOC code a CSR can put on our acount or remove from it to opt out of SMS to land line?
    No

Carriers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FidoSeniorAgent
    When you meet someone and they give you their number, it's common sense to ask them if this is their mobile or home or work number. What I actually do when I meet someone and we do exchange mobile numbers, I would call the other person so my number registers on their display or I ask them to call my cell so their number register on my CD. Then I would edit their contact info.
    Most people have cheaper text than talk - thus text is the preferred "this is my number" protocol. In my most recent example the friend was right beside me but didn't correctly remember her own phone number because her phone was new.

Anyway, unwanted "premium" feature that can't be disabled = blatant money grab. If I accidentally text a non-cell, the correct response should be to receive an error message on my phone at no charge. This would fulfil 95% of customers' needs far better than TTL.

Carriers
    Fido
    Cantel AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cmstlist
    Most people have cheaper text than talk - thus text is the preferred "this is my number" protocol. In my most recent example the friend was right beside me but didn't correctly remember her own phone number because her phone was new.

Anyway, unwanted "premium" feature that can't be disabled = blatant money grab. If I accidentally text a non-cell, the correct response should be to receive an error message on my phone at no charge. This would fulfil 95% of customers' needs far better than TTL.
    This is not premium service. It's cool service offer by Fido that you haven't tried. I suggest you read up about it
    http://www.fido.ca/web/content/messa..._to_home_phone

Phones
    Google Nexus S
    Samsung Note 2, Google Nexus S
    Iphone 3gs 16gb
    Carriers
    WIND MOBILE
    Feedback Score
    well i got charged too and the rep told me that thats message is not the confirmation its just gives u the option to either send the message in English or French.. i know its annoying but you should be very careful with phone numbers now..i got charged $5 for nothing basically.

Carriers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FidoSeniorAgent
    It's cool service offer by Fido that you haven't tried. I suggest you read up about it
    http://www.fido.ca/web/content/messa..._to_home_phone
    Cool? I got charged extra for switching two digits in a text message and you are telling me it's a "cool service offer"? Bull. I've already read up on it and the only thing I want to do with it is disable it so that my phone will *never*, not even by accident, send a text-to-landline.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast