Thread: New Verizon Mobile Web Mail interface for Yahoo Mail

Phone
    LG ENV2
    Carrier
    Verizon (Nov. 2005 port from Cing-Blue)
    Feedback Score

New Verizon Mobile Web Mail interface for Yahoo Mail

VZW now links to a modified Mobile Web Mail interface for Yahoo mail. When using mobile web and you click email, then select Yahoo mail, the interface is changed from the tradition WAP mobile interface of Yahoo mail.

At first it looked ok.

But I now realize how problematic it is. To reply/reply-all/delete/forward/move a message while it is open, you can not longer push short-cut numbers such as 1/2/4/3/5. Those numbers are still displayed, but are not reponding to entry commands. So now you have to scroll to the very bottom on the message to manually choose a command by highlighting...a pain for a very long email.

Don't tell me to get another mail subscription or phone. I don't have more to spend that the $5 mobile web fee on AC-II.

I just want the VZW menu for "Mobile Web Mail" to link to Yahoo's traditional mobile mail site that was more user-friendly. I can still get there by using my "favorites" link from Mobile Web, but these are added steps.
    Last edited by twn1344; 01-13-2010 at 03:12 PM. Reason: corrected title

Phone
    LG ENV2
    Carrier
    Feedback Score
    Weird. Now it is back to the traditional WAP Yahoo interface at Verizon Mobile Web Mail.

Either today's earlier link was an error or VZW tried out a new interface and maybe it was a preview of what's to come. Regardless, I am glad VZW went back to the prior interface.

Phone
    LG ENV2
    Carrier
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by twn1344
    VZW now links to a modified Mobile Web Mail interface for Yahoo mail. When using mobile web and you click email, then select Yahoo mail, the interface is changed from the tradition WAP mobile interface of Yahoo mail.

At first it looked ok.

But I now realize how problematic it is. To reply/reply-all/delete/forward/move a message while it is open, you can not longer push short-cut numbers such as 1/2/4/3/5. Those numbers are still displayed, but are not reponding to entry commands. So now you have to scroll to the very bottom on the message to manually choose a command by highlighting...a pain for a very long email.

Don't tell me to get another mail subscription or phone. I don't have more to spend that the $5 mobile web fee on AC-II.

I just want the VZW menu for "Mobile Web Mail" to link to Yahoo's traditional mobile mail site that was more user-friendly. I can still get there by using my "favorites" link from Mobile Web, but these are added steps.
    The new interface for Yahoo Mail via Mobile Web is back. I hate it.

The messages have large gaps of white between them and message lines are double-spaced. I find it harder to navigate. On the surface, it appears to take more time to navigate a simple Mobile Web Yahoo Mail check, which for my being on ACII rate plan, means more airtime to quickly check email. Since there are more graphics, the interface would also lead to more data charges for the same mail check session, if I were paying for data by the mb.

I found can still get to the simpler Yahoo Mail interface by inputting a mobile web address and not selecting the "quick click" for Yahoo Mail at the VZW homepage. But that workaround method is much less convenient.

I wish Verizon would leave it alone.

Feedback Score
    I believe this is more Yahoo! doing it than anything else--it seems they are upgrading more and more people to the new interface. It does present some more gaps and slightly slower navigation on phones with somewhat dated basic WAP browsers, but it's likely better on most of HTML or better mobile browsers.

What is the address that you are using to still access the old mail?

Phones
    Verizon iPhone
    Droid Maxx
    Carriers
    Verizon Page Plus
    Feedback Score

Or you could stop paying for Mobile Web, configure your phone to use an alternate proxy server (like hopke.net for $12/year) and subscribe to Mobile Email for $5/month. So you'd be paying $1/month more than you currently are but you would have a dedicated email program that I guarantee would work well with Yahoo on an enV2. Of course, you don't get attachments or graphics so if that's important to you then you'd need to stay with Mobile Web instead of Mobile Email. But you could still use an alternate proxy server and save yourself a few bucks per month.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by taoman54
    Or you could stop paying for Mobile Web, configure your phone to use an alternate proxy server (like hopke.net for $12/year) and subscribe to Mobile Email for $5/month. So you'd be paying $1/month more than you currently are but you would have a dedicated email program that I guarantee would work well with Yahoo on an enV2. Of course, you don't get attachments or graphics so if that's important to you then you'd need to stay with Mobile Web instead of Mobile Email. But you could still use an alternate proxy server and save yourself a few bucks per month.
    There are also decent free WAP proxy servers out there as well, like those from http://www.zaksenterprises.com, and http://www.hacktherazr.com/.

Phone
    LG ENV2
    Carrier
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by C DM

What is the address that you are using to still access the old mail?

http://us.m1.yahoo.com/p/mail
    is the old WAP Yahoo email address that I prefer and now use as a workaround.

http://us.m.yahoo.com/usvzn/mail
    is the URL that the Verizon Wireless Mobile Web Email clickable link for Yahoo Mail is pointing to. Judging from "usvzn" being part of the URL, no doubt it is a special link just for VZW phones.

I can also access the special "usvzn" URL via my computer and it looks OK. However, the page doesn't render as well on my env2.

Phone
    LG ENV2
    Carrier
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by taoman54
    I used to use Hopke with a prior phone. However, the env2 is locked down by VZW from being able to manually change the settings for port, home page, etc. without using bitpim to hack into my phone. Not interested in the risk of turning my env2 into a brick.

Feedback Score
    http://us.m1.yahoo.com/p/mail
    is the old WAP Yahoo email address that I prefer and now use as a workaround.

http://us.m.yahoo.com/usvzn/mail
    is the URL that the Verizon Wireless Mobile Web Email clickable link for Yahoo Mail is pointing to. Judging from "usvzn" being part of the URL, no doubt it is a special link just for VZW phones.

I can also access the special "usvzn" URL via my computer and it looks OK. However, the page doesn't render as well on my env2.
    Using another WAP proxy and directly going to Yahoo!'s mobile page on the phone at http://m.yahoo.com it's all, including Mail, has been changed over to their new page in the last month or so.
    I used to use Hopke with a prior phone. However, the env2 is locked down by VZW from being able to manually change the settings for port, home page, etc. without using bitpim to hack into my phone. Not interested in the risk of turning my env2 into a brick.
    Yeah, you would need to do that, but it's a of one item in one file that really doesn't have much chance of bricking the phone and is generally pretty straightforward and quick to do (having done it quite a few times on quite a few phones).