Thread: How long to activate??

Carrier
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score

How long to activate??

This is my first switch from postpaid to prepaid. Every time I bought a postpaid phone, my phone was activated before I left the store.

Just to test out Virgin's service, I bought an Arc online. It was supposed to be $30 with $20 in free service. I thought it would be a great way to test things out before I ported my number from Verizon.

So, I went to the Virgin website, and began the activation process. That was 3 days ago. The phone still isn't activated! Seriously, wtf?

It can't take more than 10 minutes to activate a cellphone, fer chrissakes!

If it takes 3+ days to activate a new account and phone number, how long will it take to port a number? Seriously, if it's over 3 days, I can't do it. I can't be without a phone for that long. My work calls me on it!

I pay far more than I need to on Verizon. However, if this is the quality of service one can expect from Virgin Mobile, I think I'll send the Arc back and stick with overpaying, but at least it's for something that works!!

Phones
    LG Rumor Touch
    UTStarcom Shuttle, Super Slice
    Nokia 6030b, Nokia 6010, Nokia 2260
    Carriers
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Activation on VM is usually instant within a couple minutes. I've only ported in a number to VM once and it took about a day. Sounds like something went wrong. Call up customer service.

Carrier
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I appreciate your input and advice. But I still don't understand why there is a web interface to activate, if I have to call customer service.

I also tried activating directly on the phone, but all I get is "network down".

Do you have to speak some Indian language to call customer service?

Carriers
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    VM's customer service reps are OK. IIRC, they use offshore reps in the Philippines.

You might have an account that has a split MSID and MDN. (Don't worry if you don't know what that means, just understand that it's unusual.) I have a couple of those and the reps usually don't set them up correctly on the first try.

Carrier
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I might not have an account at all. I think I will call the Philipines and ask them how to send the phone back. This is ridiculous.

Carriers
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by eggsalad
    I might not have an account at all. I think I will call the Philipines and ask them how to send the phone back. This is ridiculous.
    Something about your activation might have triggered a fraud hold. Search the forum for "fraud" for an earlier discussion of this. Companies tend not to be proactive about communicating about these because it's not good business to enable fraudsters.

If that's what happened, a call to a live advisor and some hoop-jumping will be required to convince them you are legitimate.

Phones
    Samsung Galaxy S III T999
    Samsung Galaxy S III T999
    Samsung Galaxy Exhibit 4G
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I have two seperate VM account, (two different phone numbers) and both were activated within minutes. Just get on the horn with customer service and get them to get you activated. No biggie.

Carrier
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Well, maybe the website is boned, it keeps telling me my credit cards are bad, even if I skip that step

Feedback Score
    Now I'm starting to understand why this is taking so long. If they suspect credit card fraud...

(Not to besmirch you at all eggsalad. I'm just saying if they suspect it for any reason, right or wrong, that would explain why the usually-instant process has been subverted.)

I think you have to call them and drag them through the process. Find out exactly what they think is wrong and what you have to do to correct that.

Carrier
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Ok, this gets dumber by the minute...

Spent 10 minutes on the phone talking to a computer, which couldn't activate this phone.

Spent 3 minutes on hold waiting for a customer service human. 13 minutes later (including another 3 minute hold) he transferred me to tech support.

Tech support guy didn't know why I was transferred to him. He tried activating the phone and failed. He "escalated" my case and told me VM would contact me within 72 hours.

Seriously? This is how VM does business? I spent 37 minutes on the phone with VM and this phone is STILL not activated, and I get to wait another 3 days??

Carrier
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Amarsir

I think you have to call them and drag them through the process. Find out exactly what they think is wrong and what you have to do to correct that.
    It appears what I did wrong was buy the phone using one email address and activate the account using a different email address.

Is that a fraud trigger? What if your Aunt Edna loaned you her credit card to buy a phone online? I'm certainly not the only person on this planet with TWO email addresses, am I?

Phone
    HTC_816_Phablet, Lumia_520
    Carrier
    Virgin_Mobile, Cricket, H2O
    Feedback Score
    It appears what I did wrong was buy the phone using one email address and activate the account using a different email address.

Is that a fraud trigger? What if your Aunt Edna loaned you her credit card to buy a phone online? I'm certainly not the only person on this planet with TWO email addresses, am I?
    After all this trouble you need to express to them your displeasure and request that they compensate you for all this mess. They have been known to provide bonus minutes to compensate for rare problems such as these. Be sure to contact them on twitter & facebook (they seem to monitor both of these daily).
    Your e-mail addresses are not the problem. BTW when speaking with CSR's if they are not cooperative just hang-up and call again... all telecoms have some poor csr's and the best thing to do is just hang-up and call again.

Carriers
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score

Is that a fraud trigger?
    Email addresses aren't a fraud trigger, but street addresses definitely are at companies that have tight fraud-prevention controls. (It's not hard to imagine that wireless phone service would be popular with the fraudsters, who often have a keen interest in calling other countries.) The street address and zip code you gave needs to match perfectly with the address on file at your card issuer.

Carrier
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Lo and behold, I got home from work tonight to find an email saying I was good to go. A few button presses on the phone and I seem to be all set. VM's -10 customer service score is now up to a -8.

Now I can play with this Arc to see how the service is. I only have 2 bars on my VM phone at home, whereas my Verizon phone has full bars... Hmmm.

Primarily, what I want to test is how long it takes Verizon, AT&T, and Sprint phones to receive texts from me, and how long it takes to get replies. 90% of my phone use is text, and I picked VM entirely because of the Texter's Delight plans.

Phone
    HTC_816_Phablet, Lumia_520
    Carrier
    Virgin_Mobile, Cricket, H2O
    Feedback Score
    Lo and behold, I got home from work tonight to find an email saying I was good to go. A few button presses on the phone and I seem to be all set. VM's -10 customer service score is now up to a -8.

Now I can play with this Arc to see how the service is. I only have 2 bars on my VM phone at home, whereas my Verizon phone has full bars... Hmmm.

Primarily, what I want to test is how long it takes Verizon, AT&T, and Sprint phones to receive texts from me, and how long it takes to get replies. 90% of my phone use is text, and I picked VM entirely because of the Texter's Delight plans.
    My experience with Sprint/VM sending NO lag to Sprint or Verizon. There seems to be a delay with at&t receiving from Sprint/VM. Receiving from most carriers is instant.