Thread: How To Change iPhone IP Address

Feedback Score

How To Change iPhone IP Address

Hi there does anybody know how to change the iphone ip address. I have tried putting in airplane mode turning phone on and off switching from 3g to edge still the same. Can anybody help thanks

Phones
    iPhone 3GS 16GB
    3.1.2 JB
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    If airplane mode doesn't change it I'd assume that AT&T's DHCP system works a lot like most cable internet providers': you are running a dynamic IP address but it doesn't change all that frequently. You're probably assigned an IP address from a tower or regional router and the only sure-fire way to change it would be to travel to a point where you're connecting to a different tower.

Either that or your IP address is mapped to your MAC address in which case you won't be able to change it, though I can't see a benefit in doing that.

EDIT: I'll test this theory tonight...I work in a 3G area that's about 30 miles away from my home (EDGE-only) so I'll see if I get a different IP address at my home.

Phone
    iPhone 5
    Carrier
    American Telephone & Telegraph Company
    Feedback Score
    Change the IP assignment method from DHCP or BootP to Static, then modify it as desired.

PRL Interpretations
    XFF's AlphaTag software
    Cellular and PCS License Maps
    Quote Originally Posted by gpatrick900
    I am a little confused. My Verizon phone was able to roam on GSM because they used TDMA. Tell it was shutdown. The phone recognizes it as Analog. If PCS has TDMA, It could be technically be used on GSM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabla View Post
    Y'know, I'm used to hysterical 14-year-old ******** on the internet, but this is exceptional. Never before in human history have so many nerds hyperventilated so publicly over so little.

Phones
    iPhone 3GS 16GB
    3.1.2 JB
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by XFF
    Change the IP assignment method from DHCP or BootP to Static, then modify it as desired.
    Changing that mode only impacts WiFi IP addresses, that won't change your WAN IP. I doubt very much that AT&T would allow individual users to assign their own WAN IP address since that would guarantee IP collisions and would be a great way to cause havoc on the network.

Phones
    Blackberry Curve 8330
    iPhone 3G S 32GB
    Carriers
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    the way the DHCP protocol is designed is you get the same IP if it's still available. the admins set a lease time and 50% into the lease you try to lease the IP again.

with AT&T Wireless the iphone gets a private IP and as far as i can tell the data is routed to Wichita before it goes out to the Internet

Phones
    Apple iPhone 5 64 GB, Nokia N8, Apple iPhone 16 GB 3G[S]®, Nokia N82, Motorola V710
    Motorola StarTac, LG5450
    Carriers
    Rogers,
    Feedback Score
    Or you could just spoof your MAC and trick your DHCP's server.

Phone
    iPhone 5
    Carrier
    American Telephone & Telegraph Company
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse1916
    Changing that mode only impacts WiFi IP addresses, that won't change your WAN IP. I doubt very much that AT&T would allow individual users to assign their own WAN IP address since that would guarantee IP collisions and would be a great way to cause havoc on the network.
    Yeah, if the OP is talking about the WWAN IP (not the WLAN IP), that's controlled by AT&T (or whoever your carrier is), nothing you can do on the mobile end to change that.

Also, why would you need to?

Phones
    iPhone 3GS 16GB
    3.1.2 JB
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse1916
    EDIT: I'll test this theory tonight...I work in a 3G area that's about 30 miles away from my home (EDGE-only) so I'll see if I get a different IP address at my home.
    No dice...even 30+ miles away I'm getting the same IP.