Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Definitive list: feature phones that do/do not require data plans

Device(s)
    Barrage
    Carrier(s)
    VZW
    Feedback Score

Definitive list: feature phones that do/do not require data plans

As most of you know, VZW is putting out new data plan requirements for new activations starting on Monday, Jan. 18 2010. Most 3G feature phones will require either a $9.99 (25mb w/ mobile email) or $29.99 (unlimited w/ mobile email) data plan. There are no exceptions to this rule whether it be you purchased a phone at full retail or purchased the phone through ebay/craigslist. There is no pay-as-you-go (PAYG) or data block feature available for these phones.

Below is the definitive list of feature phones that if activated on or after Jan. 18, 2010 will/will not require the data plans mentioned above. Please note that I've only listed phones that are currently sold by VZW. As of now, certain end-of-life 3g phones (such as the Chocolate 3) and older 3g phones (such as the Dare) are not subject to the new data plan requirement and therefore may be on a PAYG plan or have a data block put in place. Also, please note that push-to-talk phones (PTT) such as the Casio Rock, Motorola Barrage, and the Samsung Convoy are currently exempt from the data plan requirement.

Feature phones that DO NOT require a data plan (no matter when activated)

1) Nokia Shade (2705)
    2) Samsung Intensity (SCH-U450)
    3) Verizon Escapade
    4) LG Glance (VX7100)
    5) Verizon Razzle
    6) Samsung Trance (SCH-U490)
    7) Samsung Smooth (SCH-U350)
    8) LG VX5500
    9) Motorola VU204
    10) Samsung Sway (SCH-U650)
    11) Samsung Knack (SCH-U310)
    12) Samsung SCH-U410
    13) Samsung Snap (SCH-U340)

3G feature phones that DO NOT require a data plan (but may in the future)
    1) LG Chocolate 3 (VX8560)
    2) Samsung Renown (SCH-U810)

Feature phones that DO require a data plan (activated on/post Jan. 18, 2010)
    1) LG Chocolate Touch (VX8575)
    2) LG enV3 (VX9200)
    3) LG enV Touch (VX11000)
    4) LG VX8360
    5) Motorola Entice (W766)
    6) Motorola Rival (A455)
    7) Samsung Rogue (SCH-U960)
    8) Samsung Alias2 (SCH-U750)
    9) Nokia Twist (7705)

Please let me know if I've missed any.

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    I believe there are also the Nokia 6205 and the Verizon Wireless CDM8950 that are current 3G phones that are likely being discontinued and thus can be added to that second "3G feature phones that DO NOT require a data plan (but may in the future)" list.

Device(s)
    Barrage
    Carrier(s)
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by C DM
    I believe there are also the Nokia 6205 and the Verizon Wireless CDM8950 that are current 3G phones that are likely being discontinued and thus can be added to that second "3G feature phones that DO NOT require a data plan (but may in the future)" list.
    You're right...I didn't add them because they are listed as "Sold Out" on the VZW website and I guess I assumed they wouldn't be coming back. I will add them anyway just in case people find them in store.

Thanks C DM!

Carrier(s)
    Verizon (now)
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    It would be more interesting to see if there are any DISCONTINUED phones that require data plans now as well. I really don't think they would retroactively enact such a policy, but you never know.
    A phone is only fun when you can modify it anyway you please.

The Verizon UI....unhackable? I think not

Device(s)
    Nokia Lumia 1020
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Apparently all PTT phones are exempt from the mandatory data plan too, although they might soon need a mandatory PTT plan.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyinLACA
    It would be more interesting to see if there are any DISCONTINUED phones that require data plans now as well. I really don't think they would retroactively enact such a policy, but you never know.
    Curious about the Env2.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyinLACA
    Quote Originally Posted by XRAM
    Curious about the Env2.
    None (including the enV2) are supposed to as they were excluded from the requirement. I'd say unless we hear something at least somewhat definitive otherwise, there shouldn't be any reason to think that the requirement does or would apply to them.

Device(s)
    Nokia Lumia 1020
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Didn't someone try to activate a env2 to find out it needs data too?

Device(s)
    Nokia Lumia 1020
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    ***Update***

Found it: post 385 in the New Data Requirement - 3G Multimedia Phones thread.

Quote Originally Posted by V750 Owner
    Just tried to reactivate an Env2 that I have had for almost a year now. Requires the 9.99 data plan. Irritating to say the least. Can't wait til 6am EDT to call CS and see if I can't get grandfathered back in. I have 5 lines and pay well over 200 a month for service. Just got the Droid on my line. I love the coverage and CS. All this nickle and diming is a pain in my hind parts.

VZW is doing what it can to build loyalty and doing a good job of it I might add.

Device(s)
    Barrage
    Carrier(s)
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mbdfahrer
    Apparently all PTT phones are exempt from the mandatory data plan too, although they might soon need a mandatory PTT plan.
    The first part is already in the original post. As to the mandatory PTT plan, can you point to a source for that one?

Device(s)
    Barrage
    Carrier(s)
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mbdfahrer
    ***Update***

Found it: post 385 in the New Data Requirement - 3G Multimedia Phones thread.
    Was the reactivation done through the website or the automated *228 system? If so, the resulting data plan was almost definitely an error. There have been no other reports of people being forced into said data plan on legacy devices. Call customer service and have them remove it.

Device(s)
    Barrage
    Carrier(s)
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    The Rival needs to be moved to the list of phones that don't require a data plan (it was supposed to according to the leaked training materials), but I'm not able to edit the original post.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by koftheworld
    Was the reactivation done through the website or the automated *228 system? If so, the resulting data plan was almost definitely an error. There have been no other reports of people being forced into said data plan on legacy devices. Call customer service and have them remove it.
    Yeah, in case of the enV2, if some requirement came up it must have been an error or a one-off type of situation--it's not supposed to require it.

Device(s)
    Nokia Lumia 1020
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by koftheworld
    The first part is already in the original post. As to the mandatory PTT plan, can you point to a source for that one?

It was just speculation, nothing has materialized of it. And as for the env2 activation, the method wasn't listed, nor was a follow up posted.

Device(s)
    vx5200
    Feedback Score
    The Rival does not require a data plan...yet.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast