Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Definitive list: feature phones that do/do not require data plans

Device(s)
    Barrage
    Carrier(s)
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jansenj
    The Rival does not require a data plan...yet.
    Yes that's true. The table I put together was based upon the leaked information provided, in which the Rival was listed as requiring a data plan. As of now that requirement hasn't materialized. I'd like to update the table but I don't have access to it anymore. Sorry.

Device(s)
    Barrage
    Carrier(s)
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    UPDATED

As most of you know, VZW is putting out new data plan requirements for new activations starting on Monday, Jan. 18 2010. Most 3G feature phones will require either a $9.99 (25mb w/ mobile email) or $29.99 (unlimited w/ mobile email) data plan. There are no exceptions to this rule whether it be you purchased a phone at full retail or purchased the phone through ebay/craigslist. There is no pay-as-you-go (PAYG) or data block feature available for these phones.

Below is the definitive list of feature phones that if activated on or after Jan. 18, 2010 will/will not require the data plans mentioned above. Please note that I've only listed phones that are currently sold by VZW. As of now, certain end-of-life 3g phones (such as the Chocolate 3) and older 3g phones (such as the Dare) are not subject to the new data plan requirement and therefore may be on a PAYG plan or have a data block put in place. Also, please note that push-to-talk phones (PTT) such as the Casio Rock, Motorola Barrage, and the Samsung Convoy are currently exempt from the data plan requirement.

Feature phones that DO NOT require a data plan (no matter when activated)

1) Nokia Shade (2705)
    2) Samsung Intensity (SCH-U450)
    3) Verizon Escapade
    4) LG Glance (VX7100)
    5) Verizon Razzle
    6) Samsung Trance (SCH-U490)
    7) Samsung Smooth (SCH-U350)
    8) LG VX5500
    9) Motorola VU204
    10) Samsung Sway (SCH-U650)
    11) Samsung Knack (SCH-U310)
    12) Samsung SCH-U410
    13) Samsung Snap (SCH-U340)
    14) Motorola Rival (A455)
    15) Casio Rock (C731)
    16) Samsung Convoy (SCH-U640)
    17) Motorola Barrage (V860)

3G feature phones that DO NOT require a data plan (but may in the future)
    1) LG Chocolate 3 (VX8560)
    2) Samsung Renown (SCH-U810)
    3) Verizon Wireless CDM8950
    4) Nokia 6205

3G Feature phones that DO require a data plan (activated on/post Jan. 18, 2010)
    1) LG Chocolate Touch (VX8575)
    2) LG enV3 (VX9200)
    3) LG enV Touch (VX11000)
    4) LG VX8360
    5) Motorola Entice (W766)
    6) Samsung Rogue (SCH-U960)
    7) Samsung Alias2 (SCH-U750)
    8) Nokia Twist (7705)

Device(s)
    LG VX11000
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Would you be required to purchase a data plan for a refurb swap on a Feature phone originally activated pre Jan. 18, 2010?

Device(s)
    Barrage
    Carrier(s)
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by chaostheorem
    Would you be required to purchase a data plan for a refurb swap on a Feature phone originally activated pre Jan. 18, 2010?
    No, you shouldn't have to.

Device(s)
    LG Clout vx8370;
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I think the Samsung Reality u820 requires a data plan ?
    (1) "Tutorial: Making Album Art Work (Most LG phones)" (link)
    (2) "MP3's ! They are RINGTONES / A Quick howto using Audacity" (link)

Feedback Score
    Digging up an old thread here, but since I came looking here for an answer a couple of weeks ago when shopping for a used phone for my daughter, I figure someone else might benefit from an update.

Currently (11/2011) NO Verizon *feature phones* absolutely require a data plan. Some feature phones list the 9.99 plan as required, but customer service can get rid of it if you put a data block on the line. I confirmed this with CS on the phone while I was shopping, and had a corp store rep do it for the enV Touch I ended up buying when I activated it with no hassle at all. Both the phone person and the agent in the store confirmed that if you put a data block on a line with a feature phone they will remove the 9.99 data plan. Note that this applies to ALL feature phones, but does NOT apply to ANY smartphones.

To the poster above, I did ask specifically about the Samsung Reality, and the phone rep confirmed that it qualified as a feature phone and thus could be activated with a data block and NO data plan.

Note that, as it was explained to me, any phone which lists the 9.99 plan as required will absolutely need a data block on the line to bypass this requirement, so you do have to completely give up data on that line.

Hope this helps someone.

Device(s)
    Motorola V860 barrage
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    do you guys watch Alaska State Troppers?? Those guys use motorola feature phone. I don't know which carriers. I bet motorola is good reception phone. Which I got pull over, the tropper use motorola too.

well too bad motorola stop making feature phones. My motorola v860 have 2 months to live. Then I will upgrade to iphone 5.

Device(s)
    LG VX8350, Kin TwoM
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by moto94536 View Post
    do you guys watch Alaska State Troppers?? Those guys use motorola feature phone. I don't know which carriers. I bet motorola is good reception phone. Which I got pull over, the tropper use motorola too.

well too bad motorola stop making feature phones. My motorola v860 have 2 months to live. Then I will upgrade to iphone 5.
    What's a tropper? Do they sell pull over sweaters at Old Navy in Anchorage?

Feedback Score
    I really don't think they would retroactively enact such a policy, but you never know.

Feedback Score
    Is there an updated Definitive List?

Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wait View Post
    Is there an updated Definitive List?
    I would also be interested in this.

Will be switching to Verizon when my Sprint contract ends in November, and have no interest in a smartphone or data plan.

Thanks guys!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by moto94536 View Post

Yes indeed. Motorola is the best on reception and connection. A Moto will work when the rest won't. of course , you can always get a lemon , but Motorola has a great reputation for connectivity and reception.

You can Google for Motorola feature phones and whatever carrier you use and it will take you to several results. I Google this : Motorola feature phones for Verizon on Amazon. Or you can leave off Amazon from your search . When you find the phone you want , Just call your carrier and see if this phone can be activated , if so , then order it. You won't be under contract either , because you will have a paid phone.
    Last edited by Jillxz; 06-19-2013 at 07:33 PM.

Device(s)
    Samsung U430 (fully functioinal bluetooth)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Still rocking:

LG VX8350
    Samsung SCH-U430
    Samsung Convoy

Sent with the HoFo App

Device(s)
    LG VX8350, Kin TwoM
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I kept piecing together VX8350's until my last hinge cable broke.

Now I've upgraded to:

LG VX8360 (weekdays)
    Microsoft (Sharp) Kin TwoM (weekends)

Feedback Score
    yeah already they are sold out so i don't never add them!
    @@@@@@

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast