Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Verizon Hex number request on ebay?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Posts
    2
    Phones
    LG enV TOUCH
    Samsung Omnia
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0

    Verizon Hex number request on ebay?

    Hello all, this is my first post here! I am selling a used Verizon smartphone on ebay currently and I got a request to send someone the HEX number so they can see if it works on their network before they buy it. Is this legit? This is the first phone I've sold on Ebay and just didn't know if it was save to give that number out. Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    1,446
    Feedback Score
    0
    I buy & sell phones on ebay all the time. When I sell a phone I always put in the auction that the phone is guaranteed to activate. When I buy a phone, I look for auctions that have the same guarantee, if it's not stated that the phone is clear to activate I ask the seller. Most sellers respond with the correct info, if not then I don't buy from them.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    867
    Phone
    Droid 1Ghz 2.1 BBv1.0
    Carrier
    VZW-Agent
    Feedback Score
    0
    yes you can give it to them they really cant do anything to hurt you with it

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Posts
    2
    Phones
    LG enV TOUCH
    Samsung Omnia
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Thank you so much for the quick responses!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    364
    Phones
    Motorola Droid
    G'Zone Rock!
    V3M - PagePlusCellular
    Carriers
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    0
    What prevents them from activating it on their account online, and then filing a claim it's lost/stolen?

    Then someone could claim it on their insurance and the ESN could be blck listed. right/wrong?
    Sig Removed (might be misconstrued as advertising)

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    867
    Phone
    Droid 1Ghz 2.1 BBv1.0
    Carrier
    VZW-Agent
    Feedback Score
    0
    the original owner can call and they will be able to tell where the esn was original on

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    6,900
    Phones
    MOT Droid Mini,
    Home Phone Connect,
    MOT Droid 3,
    Carriers
    Verizon Wireless, Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by xaircooledx
    ... and I got a request to send someone the HEX number so they can see if it works on their network before they buy it.
    I would not send it to just anyone, nor publicly post it in the listing, but if this is the auction winner, I would certainly have no problem emailing him/her the HEX number so they can verify it before they issue payment to me.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Yankton
    Posts
    2,227
    Phones
    Current:Bold 9650
    Past:Tour 9630- Red 8330-Titanium 8330-Red 8130-
    Amethyst 8130- LG Voyager-Palm Treo 700p-Palm Treo 650
    Carrier
    Alltel
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by WaltA
    I would not send it to just anyone, nor publicly post it in the listing, but if this is the auction winner, I would certainly have no problem emailing him/her the HEX number so they can verify it before they issue payment to me.

    I never gave them out to anyone. I just guaranteed that that it would work or give them their money back. I'd rather take the chance of not selling it than have something happen and not ever be able to use it. At least if I don't sell it, I can give it to someone I know. If someone puts the ESN on their account or clones another phone with it, not only do I still have the phone, but it is now unuseable.
    This confusion can easily be avoided if you pronounce the word intended aloud. If it has a voiced Z sound, then it’s “lose.” If it has a hissy S sound, then it’s “loose.” Here are examples of correct usage: “He tends to lose his keys.” “She lets her dog run loose.”

    Loose
    not rigidly fastened or securely attached

    Lose
    to miss from one's possession or from a customary or supposed place

    Also, just because a word has an "s" at the end, doesn't mean it needs an apostrophe.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Just Outside Hartford CT
    Posts
    2,036
    Phone
    Blackberry Curve
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Since '95
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by markj73
    What prevents them from activating it on their account online, and then filing a claim it's lost/stolen?

    Then someone could claim it on their insurance and the ESN could be blck listed. right/wrong?
    They check to make sure the phone the ESN change was performed on had a call made from it. Keeps people from trashing a phone in the first week, adding insurance afterwards and then making a claim.

    If I ask for an MEID/ESN from a ebay buyer and they don't give it to me, I don't buy. There is nothing special that can be done with it without possession of the actual device as well.

    Quote Originally Posted by mick662
    If someone puts the ESN on their account or clones another phone with it, not only do I still have the phone, but it is now unuseable.

    You can't clone without a lot more stuff than just the ESN/MEID for about the last 14 years. An ESN/MEID alone will get you nothing but a lost/stolen check.
    Last edited by PeterB; 01-20-2010 at 09:42 AM.
    Hi there. I'm the guy on the other side of the counter. If you're a jerk to me, guess how hard I'm going to try to help you?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    20,262
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterB
    They check to make sure the phone the ESN change was performed on had a call made from it. Keeps people from trashing a phone in the first week, adding insurance afterwards and then making a claim.

    If I ask for an MEID/ESN from a ebay buyer and they don't give it to me, I don't buy. There is nothing special that can be done with it without possession of the actual device as well.




    You can't clone without a lot more stuff than just the ESN/MEID for about the last 14 years. An ESN/MEID alone will get you nothing but a lost/stolen check.
    Generally that's the case, however, and although it's not likely anyone would actually do it (since it doesn't help them any and in fact would only make things worse for them), someone could use the ESN/MEID to activate the phone on a line they have (through VZW's web site for example) and that would essentially "lock" the phone to that line. So then you can't really do much with the phone until it's removed from that line.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Vandenberg AFB
    Posts
    1,955
    Phones
    IPhone 5
    Verizon/Motorola W755
    AT&T Blackberry Bold 9700 for work
    Carriers
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by C DM
    Generally that's the case, however, and although it's not likely anyone would actually do it (since it doesn't help them any and in fact would only make things worse for them), someone could use the ESN/MEID to activate the phone on a line they have (through VZW's web site for example) and that would essentially "lock" the phone to that line. So then you can't really do much with the phone until it's removed from that line.
    And so if I "locked" a phone that I didn't have to a line that I was paying for, what would that get me?

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    20,262
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by jtludwig
    And so if I "locked" a phone that I didn't have to a line that I was paying for, what would that get me?
    Right, like I said, I can't really see it doing much good for anyone, but it can be done. Who know, perhaps there's someone who just wants to play around, perhaps there's someone who doesn't care and has a line they are not using/can't use for whatever reason by have to keep it to avoid paying the ETF, perhaps someone does it to check the phone and leaves it there accidentally, etc. All of this is not very likely, and probably doesn't really happen, but, again, that is one potential downside that at least can happen.

Bookmarks