Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is there an un-tethered jb coming anytime soon?

Phone
    iphone 3gs
    Carrier
    at&t
    Feedback Score

Is there an un-tethered jb coming anytime soon?

Hey guys I've been anxiously waiting to jb my iPhone but i found out I need a tethered jb. I really would like to avoid that route and have been awaiting an update. However it doesn't seem like one is coming? Anybody have any info or something? Or should I just go ahead and do the tethered jb? Thanks

Phones
    V3 Razr
    Moto V551
    Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Just go ahead and JB it. I have a tethered JB and have for about 2 months now. I have never been in a situation where my phone has needed to be turned off without me having a computer near by. I'm careful not to let my battery ever die (I bought a car charger) and I never turn off my phone, so I'm never in a situation where I can't turn my phone back on.

I thought it would be a huge inconvenience, but so far it hasn't even been an issue.

Phone
    iPhone 3G - 8GB - 3.x - JB, Unlocked
    Carriers
    Telcel
    Feedback Score
    Seriously OP, you have over 1800 posts and you ask this question... really... no, really... wait, lemme check my magic ball....

(um, you really should know better...)

Phone
    iphone 3gs
    Carrier
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by edge777
    Seriously OP, you have over 1800 posts and you ask this question... really... no, really... wait, lemme check my magic ball....

(um, you really should know better...)

um.. first off i have 1800 posts, and they're all from nokia and windows mobile; this is my first apple product. with nokia you know when a new firmware is around the corner (when it hits the RDA). with windows, you have cooks who make specific roms. so if your waiting for a specific rom, they can tell you "i'll be done with it in a few days". i have no idea how these things work with apple, but i was assuming it was similar way. i assumed that the hacker who does these things would maybe keep the rest of us updated as to the status of releases?

i guess what they say about the apple forum is true....

either way i went ahead and jailbroke my phone. hopefully i wont need to restart when i'm out the house. i'll keep my glorified paper clip and an extra phone in the car in case i do run out of battery/reboot

Phone
    iPhone 4 Factory Unlocked
    Carrier
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    You never need to reboot, it just doesn't happen. The only thing that can make you reboot are some cydia apps. But when cydia comes up with 'press to reboot' just press your home button to quit cydia and hold off on that until you get near a computer with blackra1n on it.

As to your question, I'm not sure when if ever the untethered jb is coming out. They may be waiting for the next iPhone to crack the boot rom or maybe they are just stumped. From hanging out on irc etc, haven't seen any mention of any progress.

Carriers
    Rogers
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    The guy that made blackrain recently tweeted about he might build a device that lets you JB on the road if demand is high. so that would make it seem unlikely.

Others have also said that he all ready knows how to fix the problem but is waiting for Iphone 4.0 to come out.

Phone
    iphone 3gs
    Carrier
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the replies. The good thing is that this phone doesn't seem to need frequent reboots like my other phones so it shouldn't be a big issue. Any news as to what's new on the new 4.0 software that's supposes to be coming out?

Phone
    iphone 3gs
    Carrier
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    So I woke up this morning at 6 am and noticed the screen on. Went to look at it and noticed it at the Plug to iTunes screen. Guess it restarted overnight by itself? Lol hope that's not a common thing...

Phones
    V3 Razr
    Moto V551
    Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by omaralt
    So I woke up this morning at 6 am and noticed the screen on. Went to look at it and noticed it at the Plug to iTunes screen. Guess it restarted overnight by itself? Lol hope that's not a common thing...
    Mine has never done that.

Phone
    iPhone 3GS 16GB Black
    Carrier
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by omaralt
    It's the AT&T/iPhone Gremlin haunting you because you tried to JB their OS

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    My guess is that even if they do know how to crack it, they're going to wait for iPhone 4.0 so that Apple hopefully doesn't fix the exploit they're planning to use before then.

Phone
    iPhone 4 Factory Unlocked
    Carrier
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    The tethered portion has nothing to do with OS4.0 or anything else OS wise on the phone. The boot-rom is what has been updated. It is in a read-only chip in the phone. Half way through the 3GS manufacturing run they updated the boot rom for the first time since the iPhone was released (the first one).

They may be waiting for the next phone, but not the next operating system.

Phone
    iPhone 3GS 16GB Black
    Carrier
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    So there is absolutely NO possibility of untethered JB on newer 3GS phones?

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by anathema
    The tethered portion has nothing to do with OS4.0 or anything else OS wise on the phone. The boot-rom is what has been updated. It is in a read-only chip in the phone. Half way through the 3GS manufacturing run they updated the boot rom for the first time since the iPhone was released (the first one).

They may be waiting for the next phone, but not the next operating system.
    But Apple does update the modem firmware and they might close the exploit in it and it may take quite sometime for someone to find another loophole. Anyways, at least I hope the rumors of getting a untethered JB is true for the next version of software/hardware. I don't need it but I have seen a lot of these post here and hope that something works for them...

Carrier
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94
    So there is absolutely NO possibility of untethered JB on newer 3GS phones?
    Not unless Geohot decides to make one. He mentioned in his tweets that he can do it but has no time or desire.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast