Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is There A Way To Scan An Iphone For Spy Software?

Feedback Score

Is There A Way To Scan An Iphone For Spy Software?

long story short, i have an ex-friend/ex-employee that has had my phone in his posession on numerous occassions and i've never thought anything of it, but now things are starting to seem strange. he went completely psycho, so i had to let him go, but he's still somehow keeping up with things, so i did a search and i'm wondering if he installed something on my phone. there are things that i've only told my wife that he seems to know about, as he's mentioned it to other people and they have said things to me, and my wife and he don't even talk. (that and a few other things that lead me to believe that he may have done something like this)

1. i checked my at&t acct. and noticed that my phone sends packets of information at strange times...sometimes at 2-3am when there's no way that i'm using my phone.

2. my phone lights up sometimes while i'm just sitting at my desk...no e-mails received, no texts received, etc...it just lights up for no reason.

3. things that i haven't discussed with anyone else except for my wife, as said above, have been brought up by this ex-employee and i don't know of anyway that he could possibly get the information.

now, i am running exchange to get my e-mails immediately, but the account shows that the phone is sending the information and not receiving it. i was told that the e-mail may be the reason for it, but it doesn't seem to make much sense.

anyway, i did some searching and found a ton of spy software that can easily be downloaded to a jailbroken iphone and used by a third party, and it's really some scary stuff as far as what it can do. i just want to know if there is a way that i can scan my phone to see if there is anything on there or if there is something that i should look for to see if it has anything on it. any help is greatly appreciated!

Phones
    IPhone 3GS
    8gb 3G
    Carrier
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    Well if your phone jailbroken? If so, go into cydia or Rock and look at what all has been installed. If it isn't jailbroken, sync to itunes and then look at the apps you have installed from the itunes on your puter.

That's freaky stuff man. Good luck
    And Knowing is Half the Battle
    -----------------------------
    ChumleyEX

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ChumleyEX
    Well if your phone jailbroken? If so, go into cydia or Rock and look at what all has been installed. If it isn't jailbroken, sync to itunes and then look at the apps you have installed from the itunes on your puter.

That's freaky stuff man. Good luck
    it is jailbroken, and i've gone through cydia and rock to see what is on the phone, but i don't see anything that looks abnormal...there are a few things, that i'm not sure what they are, but they seem to be something that other programs use. however, from what i've read on the internet, these programs (flexi-spy, mobile spy, etc) are very stealth and hard to locate by just using standard means. i'm hoping that someone here is somewhat familiar with these programs and can maybe give me some insight on what exactly to look for...and yes, it is very scary. do some searches on the ones that i listed and you will be floored at what they can do. gps tracking, text messages (sent and received) sent to websites that you can log into to view, phone call tapping, listening through the microphone if you have your phone on, and even viewing through the camera. it's crazy. when i bought my daughter her phone, he mentioned putting something like that on it to monitor her texting, but i just dismissed it because i wasn't going to be that type of person and she deserves her privacy just like anyone else, but that tells me that he is aware of these programs, so it's likely that he could have put one on mine.

Phone
    iPhone 3g
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I think the new OS has the ability to "track friends" locations, my buddy was telling me he had activated it on his wife's phone. He can see where she is anytime of the day.
    Maybe he looked at your email and password settings?

Can you post a link to the spyware stuff you mentioned? This is the stuff that is scary about jailbreaking and installing bootywhack apps, and more so if you do banking and stuff like that.

Feedback Score
    Couldnt you just wipe the phone and start over. Thats probably the safest, the itunes stuff will resync correct ?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by helix66
    I think the new OS has the ability to "track friends" locations, my buddy was telling me he had activated it on his wife's phone. He can see where she is anytime of the day.

Can you post a link to the spyware stuff you mentioned? This is the stuff that is scary about jailbreaking and installing bootywhack apps, and more so if you do banking and stuff like that.
    i don't talk to my wife via e-mail; that's for work related stuff. he knows about things that i've only talked to my wife about via text, and she has no contact with him what so ever.

here are a couple of links, but i would suggest that you do a google search as well as a youtube search, because there are way more links than i could ever post and there are several news stories about it on youtube. when you search, just type in "iphone spy software" and you'll be amazed at what you find.

flexi-spy
    http://www.flexispy.com/spyphone-fle...ple-iphone.htm

mobile spy
    http://www.mobile-spy.com/iphone.html

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FullStrength
    Couldnt you just wipe the phone and start over. Thats probably the safest, the itunes stuff will resync correct ?
    i considered that, but from what i've heard and read, it is possible for the spy software to re-install itself after everything is completed. i really would like to confirm if there is any kind of spy software on my phone and i'd hate to sit and wonder if it's on there still even after i wipe everything and start over.

Phones
    iPhone 4
    iPhone 4
    Nexus One
    Carriers
    Fido
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    What about using the phone as it was intended, in other words, not jailbreaking it, for awhile and seeing if that fixes the issues. Apple's OS is very well protected.

Phones
    iPhone 3G
    Motorola Q (Retired)
    UT Starcom XV6700 (Retired)
    Carriers
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    The reinstallation thing is total bull. If you restore the phone with a legit IPSW, nothing's going to be on there that you don't put on there. If you then jailbreak it, and only use Cydia (Not sure about Rock yet) it will only install things you want on there. I say wipe it for peace of mind.
    iPhone 3G (16GB White) | Jailbroken,Hacked,Unlocked,Installous | Jawbone 2 | SwitchEasy Capsule Neo | WM&VZW > iPhone&ATT Convert |

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Cetrian
    The reinstallation thing is total bull. If you restore the phone with a legit IPSW, nothing's going to be on there that you don't put on there. If you then jailbreak it, and only use Cydia (Not sure about Rock yet) it will only install things you want on there. I say wipe it for peace of mind.
    i guess that i'll just do that. if i wipe the phone completely, re-install the factory firmware, then re-jailbreak and install cydia, then it can't come back?

Phones
    V3, 8125, BB8700c, 6682
    Carriers
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by helix66

What OS is this you speak of? I have 3.1.2 and I have never seen a "track friends" section. Is it an app you download?

Phone
    iPhone 3g
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I'll ask my buddy about it, they both have non-jailbroken 3G iphones. He's not all that techie, so it might be something simplistic.

To the OP, it sounds like there's some worthwhile advice there, restore it and maybe try it for a bit w/o JBing for a bit. Thanks for the links, I'll look at them when home.

Phone
    iphone 4
    Carrier
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    here are a couple of links, but i would suggest that you do a google search as well as a youtube search, because there are way more links than i could ever post and there are several news stories about it on youtube. when you search, just type in "iphone spy software" and you'll be amazed at what you find.

flexi-spy
    http://www.flexispy.com/spyphone-fl...pple-iphone.htm

mobile spy
    http://www.mobile-spy.com/iphone.html

wow..stan....that is wild....i watched just a few videos on youtube...that is some scary stuff to think about...and i'm sure it is being used the general public...makes you think real hard and not letting your phone out of your sight....
    let's get this party started

Phone
    iPhone 3g
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    He said it was through mobile me (not sure if texts can be intercepted via that), maybe try changing your passwords for everything.

Phones
    T-mobile Dash
    T-mobile SDA
    Nokia 6101
    Carrier
    T-Mo
    Feedback Score
    Let me just throw this out there as a out of the box thinking.

Are you sure you are wife is not the mole leaking info to him? There is nothing on there that is passing you info to him directly without you knowing. And he would have some major reason to pay $350 for spy kit to read your texts

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast