Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: CDMA vs HSPA

Feedback Score

CDMA vs HSPA

Its time for me to get a new hardware. I'm torn between staying on the old CDMA network or jump ship to the new HSPA network. I see the pros and cons of both.. What do you think I should do?

CDMA Pro:
    - I have awesome price plan, $45 my Fav (10 nationwide Fav numbers, 550 daytime, free evenings starts at 5pm), $15 unlimited data (special promotion), free incoming, free 100 extra daytime, free CallerID, free Voicemail 3.
    - I travel to USA quite often and I totally abuse the free SMS services in the USA (or text USA numbers while I'm in Canada)

CDMA Con:
    - Very limited new hardware, the only phones interest me are the Curve 8530 (i'm using the old curve so I really would like something a bit different) and Tour (no wifi, Con).
    - The reception isn't the greatest at my place (I really want to try the new network on this).

HSPA Pro:
    - Lots of cool phones (BOLD, iPhone would be my choices).
    - Faster data network and most phones come with WIFI.
    - No System Access fee on new plans
    - Unlockable phones to use oversea (though I'm not that much of a world traveler, mostly to USA and Mexico only).

HSPA Con:
    - USA SMS (this is a big Con for me). I don't want to start paying for this.
    - Losing my $15 unlimited data (though I'm not losing my sleep over this if my phone is going to have WIFI).

I've been debating for a while now if I should go to the new network. I will have to make a decision next week.. any thoughts?

One thing worries me is that on the CDMA network page, TELUS website does say that SMS in USA is $0.60 per message. I'm afraid they will enforce this eventually and I will be stuck with a CDMA phone...

Carrier
    TELUS Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (BB Tour 9630: BlackBerry9630/5.0.0.419 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/126)

I'm in the same position as you. In fact, my base plan is exactly the same, but our free features vary slightly. Anyways for now I decided to stay with CDMA for $15 data and free texting from the US and Mexico. It sounds like we share the same reasons for wanting to stay. There's nothing enticing me to transition over to HSPA except for the fact that I'll have better phone selection. I would like a 9700, but it doesn't have enough benefits over the 9630 to make me want to switch at this point in time. I'll eventually switch, but not just yet. I'm hoping (but not expecting) that eventually better data plans will be released. And the texting from the US and Mexico is a big deal to me. I usually send a couple hundred texts on a week long trip to Mexico. It may not be this way forever on CDMA (although I think it will), but I will ride it out as long as I can.
    Last edited by DennyCrane; 01-20-2010 at 03:42 PM.

Phones
    iPhone 3Gs/Bold2 9700
    Storm 9530/Tour 9630
    Bold 9000/Curve2 8530
    Carrier
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    I made the switch in Dec 09 and if i were to do it all over again (my plan arent even half as good as yours) i would've gotten a Tour and stayed with CDMA.

Reasons:
    1) Network quality in general, reception and coverage are better on the CDMA than HSPA in my area and where i travel to.
    2) I'm not crazy about my HTC Hero (virtual keyboard and data consumption) but im stuck because i bought a unlocked Rogers BB9000 and was having garbled voice calls (no BBM delays though).

Nonetheless, the bottom line is if you are okay with the virtual keyboards on Hero and Iphone, willing to take the chance on the RIM/HSPA network problems with the 9700 and downgrade to a limit data plan but able to be compensated in other areas (network coverage, quality, ease of travelling, etc) then i would suggest make the switch, otherwise i would stay with CDMA for a while longer until the problems with the new network is rectified.

Phone
    Samsung Impact
    Carrier
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    No, you really should go on the HSPA network. If your phone has wifi, you don't need unlimited data. Texting isn't really that important but, you could just unlock your phone and then but a prepaid sim in your phone for texting. The new network I almost can guarantee the 3G reception will be stronger. Come on, take the plunge designslut!

Metro Vancouver{Surrey BC} (Desi/Apna Town)
    Carriers
    (Bell HSDPA&EVDO onPostPaid&PrePaid)
    [Telus Pre-Paid CDMA on 1x(Best Prepaid option in market)]
    Feedback Score
    since op & post # 2, usa & mexico texting is important, I would stick to cdma. There are a quite a few goods phones on cdma but everyones needs are different so you might not like what you see, but if I were you I would stick to cdma and also remember wifi isn't everywhere.
    My Month to Month Bell Plan on HSPA/EVDO
    15000 Outgoing Seconds a Month(250Min), Unlimited Incoming Calls, Unlimited eve&weekend 6pmto8am,Unlimited Text From Canada to Canada&USA Incld LandLine, Unlimited FWDing, Enhanced Voice Mail, Caller ID, Conference Calling/Call Waiting, If I go over my 15000 Seconds (Extra seconds are 2.5c for every 15 seconds)=10c a Min, Canadian LD 2c for every 15 Seconds=8c a min, USA LD = 3.5c for every 15 Seconds=15c a min,
    $22 a month + BC Taxes @ 12%

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Stay with the CDMA network. If you are happy with what it is and what you get I would stay.
    As for Hardware, wait for the new Tour which will offer the trackpad, wifi, etc.

Phones
    iPhone 5
    Blackberry Torch 9810, Blackberry Bold 9780, Blackberry 9700 Bold, Blackberry 9630 Tour
    Blackberry 8130 Pearl, Blackberry 9530 Storm, Motorola V3c, Blackberry 7130e,
    Carrier
    Koodo, formerly Bell Mobility (4 years), formerly Telus Mobility (Since '98, ended 2010) - 13 years
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GaDgEtMoN
    Stay with the CDMA network. If you are happy with what it is and what you get I would stay.
    As for Hardware, wait for the new Tour which will offer the trackpad, wifi, etc.
    Although I'd be surprised if the Tour 2 came to Telus.
    But on the plus side, I knocked over the SunSphere.

Muh Plan:
    U/L Canadawide Calling
    U/L Picture/Video/Text Messaging
    5 GB Data
    $55/month less 10% for BYOD

The Former Abbywack-A-Mole

Phones
    Motorola Brick and a Big A$$ Pager
    2 Tin Cans and a String
    Smoke Signals/Sunlight Reflection Signals using a piece of Glass
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry Storm 2 - UL Data: BlackBerry9550/5.0.0.320 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/126)

Quote Originally Posted by psgill2873
    since op & post # 2, usa & mexico texting is important, I would stick to cdma. There are a quite a few goods phones on cdma but everyones needs are different so you might not like what you see, but if I were you I would stick to cdma and also remember wifi isn't everywhere.
    Agreed! I like the OP travel to the U.S. a lot and if you do switch over to Telus HSPA, you're gonna hate their only HSPA roaming partner AT@T. Roaming on Verizon's Evdo/Cdma network is second to none. That's why AT@T has no comeback to Verizon's "There's a map for that" Ad campaign. Their network is pathetic. All they can come up with is Luke Wilson saying that with Verizon, you can't do data and talk at the same time. Well talking and doing data means **** if you can't get or have crappy 3G signal in the first place

Personally...I'm waiting for Verizon to launch LTE. Only then will I consider switching over to Telus HSPA when they start to release hybrid phones:

1. EVDO/LTE
    2. EVDO/HSPA/LTE
    3. HSPA/LTE

Right now with my Storm 2, I have EVDO in both Canada and the U.S. and quadband GSM with 2100 HSPA for Europe/Asia plus wifi. Perfect for my needs in terms of a hybrid plus I'll never lose email cause its a BB and text is still free because I'm on an unlimited text plan and on EVDO.

No way in hell am I going to subject myself to the Gong Show known as AT&T useless 3G and even 2G coverage. This is from real world experience when using my father in-laws AT&T iPhone. He even switched to the Bold 9700 and still has useless 3G including 2G in the area where we frequent in Florida. We drive pretty much throughout Florida, California, Oregon, Washington State on business trips so having a true mobile phone NOT specifically strong to one local area (unlike AT&T) but rather STRONG EVERYWHERE we go is really important. Verizon being pretty much everywhere on CDMA/EVDO is a must in comparison to spotty to non-existent AT&T 3G and 2G coverage.

I've since convinced him to go Storm 2 on Verizon and he's so shocked as I was when I first had my EVDO Razr V3C. He said the same thing..."WOW, I have signal over here and here? Never had this before with AT&T! and look...haven't had a drop call." Before he dropped his AT&T account, I was with him driving around in and around Miami, Bal Harbour, Bay Harbour etc...using both AT&T 9700 BOLD and Verizon Storm 2. NO COMPARISON HANDS DOWN!

I travel to the US a lot and am thankful that I'm roaming with Verizon. If you seldom frequent the US...then switching to Telus HSPA should be fine.

Like anything else...any new network such as TELUS HSPA will experience bumps along the way. So for now... I'm more than happy being with the "tried, tested and reliable evdo network.
    Last edited by QPhone; 01-20-2010 at 07:33 PM.

Feedback Score
    I do travel to US quite often and I stay here a few weeks at a time... I think CDMA it is.. I thought about unlocking a HPSA phone and use a US SIM but then I have to give everyone two numbers (such a hassle). The reason WIFI is important is that checking emails here would be a lot easier on my blackberry than trying to use another device to do it while I'm in the states (currently i use an ipod touch). Also, I think WIFI on blackberry allows you to send emails via the Blackberry servers so you don't have to worry about setting up different SMTP servers on your device each time you are on a ISP. Skype on ipod Touch is GREAT for making calls to the USA and Canada if you come to USA and stay as long as I do. People actually say the call quality is better than cell phones (i think because of the voice enhancement). Too bad Blackberry doesn't have Skype (only equivalent).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sbenny
    No, you really should go on the HSPA network. If your phone has wifi, you don't need unlimited data. Texting isn't really that important but, you could just unlock your phone and then but a prepaid sim in your phone for texting. The new network I almost can guarantee the 3G reception will be stronger. Come on, take the plunge designslut!
    Have u ever had unlimited data? I have and its a wonderful feeling knowing that i can just use my browser on my phone, anytime, anywhere. For wifi, i have to find one and when i do...is it free?? If u know where to find free wifi, good, if u cant, u gotta pay for it.

Have u ever had unlimited text? I have and its a wonderful feeling knowing that i can just text in the usa and mexico without wondering if my prepaid sim card reached zero.

U cant guarantee squat. im sure when the new network matures, itll be just as good as the cdma network, sorta like wind's network...

For me, Im staying put as well on cdma. The unlimited stuff is just too good!

Phone
    Samsung Impact
    Carrier
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Never mind stay on CDMA.

Carrier
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sbenny
    That's right, you should pay a minimum of $15 dollars more a month for only 500Megs of data so you can turn your wifi on.

Stay with CDMA...

Metro Vancouver{Surrey BC} (Desi/Apna Town)
    Carriers
    (Bell HSDPA&EVDO onPostPaid&PrePaid)
    [Telus Pre-Paid CDMA on 1x(Best Prepaid option in market)]
    Feedback Score
    Oh I must say Verizon Coverage in un freakin real, like post # 8 said the only thing AT&T can think of because there 3G is Crap oh on AT&T you can surf & talk at the same time. it is good feature to advertize only if your 3G Coverage was as good as Verizons, but its not even close to verizons 3g coverage, so why even get into a personal ad attack. Even Bell's Main EVDO Roaming Partner Sprint PCS has way better 3G Coverage then AT&T. So OP we all have to say in your case because you travel to USA & Mexico stick with CDMA, unless ofcourse you have money to throw away and don't mind AT&T's worse 3G & OK 2G Coverage.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by abbywack-a-mole
    Although I'd be surprised if the Tour 2 came to Telus.
    I think the Tour2 will make an appearance. I have nothing to base that on, other than the fact there is no HSPA coverage in Sask and Manitobe - and Telus will still want newer offerings for people "stuck" using CDMA for another year or two.

Feedback Score
    What does "OP" stand for?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast