Thread: How to disable GPS feature on Jack?

Feedback Score

How to disable GPS feature on Jack?

I have a new Samsung Jack and I can't figure out how to turn off the GPS feature on my phone. On my old BlackBerry Curve there was an option under settings that I could just turn GPS on/off. I have had an issue where someone was using my smartphone GPS to track my location without my knowledge and I want to prevent this from happening in the future. Thanks in advance.

Phones
    ATT Fuze
    Samsung Jack - i637
    Samsung Blackjack
    Carrier
    Cingular / ATT
    Feedback Score
    I think the GPS is initiated by apps that use it, so don't use GPS apps and GPS stays off....and keep your phone away from anyone that may wish to track you and could install a GPS tracking app...

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kc3445
    I have a new Samsung Jack and I can't figure out how to turn off the GPS feature on my phone. On my old BlackBerry Curve there was an option under settings that I could just turn GPS on/off. I have had an issue where someone was using my smartphone GPS to track my location without my knowledge and I want to prevent this from happening in the future. Thanks in advance.
    All approved GPS tracking applications require notice to and approval of the phone being tracked.
    Earl F. Parrish

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by philpeeps
    I think the GPS is initiated by apps that use it, so don't use GPS apps and GPS stays off....and keep your phone away from anyone that may wish to track you and could install a GPS tracking app...
    I will definitely take your advice. For peace of mind I just wish there was a way to disable the GPS chip. I thought that because my BlackBerry had this option that it may be available on the Jack too.

Also, how would I check to ensure there were no GPS apps installed without my knowledge? I am good about pw protecting my phone now but I haven't always been that way. Is there a program menu I can search through?

Phones
    Samsung BlackJack II
    Samsung BlackJack
    Cingular 8125
    Carrier
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    Google Maps app has a feature called Latitude which you have to enabled it so that everytime you use Google Maps, it reports back your location to Google. Even if you exit the Gmaps, it can stay in memory to track you. But you will have to give express permission in every steps.

Cell phone carriers, on the other hand, can always track you if they want to either by the request of police or someone on your family plan paying AT&T $5/mo and they can track you where ever you go. There is nothing you can stop this.

Phones
    ATT Fuze
    Samsung Jack - i637
    Samsung Blackjack
    Carrier
    Cingular / ATT
    Feedback Score
    "Start>Settings>Remove Programs" will list all the user installed apps on the phone...