Phones
    HTC Touch Pro 2
    HTC Touch Pro (Retired)
    Stature i9 (Retired)
    Carriers
    Boost CDMA
    Feedback Score

Boost iDEN to Straight Talk or Boost CDMA

I've been on Boost's iDEN network ever since the Stature i9 came out. I was on the CDMA coverage before that but didn't like the home calling network restrictions and switched. I love Boost and the i9 but I hate the iDEN network. I don't use the the PTT and I hate the delay in texting. But now that the CDMA network on Boost has improved I can't decide whether to switch to the CDMA side or to Straight Talk. I've been trying to weigh out the pros and cons but I'm still stuck.

Boost
    $50 unlimited talk, text, & web
    Sprint Network coverage
    No phone that I like but small chance a Sprint phone might work
    Sprint Phone (HTC Touch or Samsung Exclaim) between $150 and &300 on eBay

Straight Talk
    $45 unlimited talk, text, & web
    Verizon Network coverage
    Samsung Finesse
    $328 plus the $45 (No Finesse for Straight Talk on eBay as of 1/22/10)

What do you think? Should I stick with Boost and try a Sprint phone? Or just get a whole new plan started with Straight Talk? Any advice or thoughts?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Duliana
    I've been on Boost's iDEN network ever since the Stature i9 came out. I was on the CDMA coverage before that but didn't like the home calling network restrictions and switched. I love Boost and the i9 but I hate the iDEN network. I don't use the the PTT and I hate the delay in texting. But now that the CDMA network on Boost has improved I can't decide whether to switch to the CDMA side or to Straight Talk. I've been trying to weigh out the pros and cons but I'm still stuck.

Boost
    $50 unlimited talk, text, & web
    Sprint Network coverage
    No phone that I like but small chance a Sprint phone might work
    Sprint Phone (HTC Touch or Samsung Exclaim) between $150 and &300 on eBay

Straight Talk
    $45 unlimited talk, text, & web
    Verizon Network coverage
    Samsung Finesse
    $328 plus the $45 (No Finesse for Straight Talk on eBay as of 1/22/10)

What do you think? Should I stick with Boost and try a Sprint phone? Or just get a whole new plan started with Straight Talk? Any advice or thoughts?
    1. No, there is basically a 100% chance that a Sprint phone might work. If you follow the procedure as outlined in the "Beginners" thread in the stickies you will have a nice Sprint phone on Boost CDMA.

2. On Ebay used Sprint phones start at around $65 (Vogue,) then around $75 (HTC Mogul,) then around $85 (Samsung Intrepid) then about $125 for HTC Diamond and Touch Pro. Around $280 to $310 for Touch Pro 2.

3. On ST the Samsung Finesse sucks because to be skimpy on the data usage they disabled the ability for streaming of any kind. So, no video streaming (Youtube is out) and no music streaming. Sure, you can browse web sites, but without streaming you only get part of the web experience. With Boost CDMA it is all opened up.

4. You can use Sprint Navigation for free as your GPS service. Works great. Also, with WinMo devices you have access to a huge number of apps, most free, while the Samsung Finesse with its proprietary operating system restricts you tremendously. You probably will find therefore that your ability to tether or use decent GPS programs for free will be serverely cut down.

5. You can bring your monthly Boostmobile cost down by signing up for autoreboost (meaning, instead of you paying at the end of each monthly cycle manually you let them withdraw the funds from a credit card or bank account instead.) For doing that you get a $20 credit posted on your account and from then on a $2 credit added each month. That brings your effective monthly cost per month (for the first year of service) down to $46.33.

Phones
    HTC Touch Pro 2
    HTC Touch Pro (Retired)
    Stature i9 (Retired)
    Carriers
    Boost CDMA
    Feedback Score
    Wow thanks, that was really helpful. I was secretly rooting for Boost. And now you've convinced me.

I know Sprint phones have been brought over to Boost almost 100 percent of the time but I'm just afraid they'll stop it completely since they've stepped up their CDMA side.
    Last edited by Duliana; 01-23-2010 at 02:09 AM.

Carriers
    PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    The biggest problem with the Finesse is Brew since you won't be able to download any apps. No alternate browsers like Opera or Bolt. No Google Maps with latitude etc etc

Plus ST has tax on top of that price and no discounts available anywhere whereas Boost has no tax and discounts available easily with or without auto refill. So Boost ends up being the same or less as opposed to more the way you laid it out.

Carrier
    BOOSTMOBILE
    Feedback Score
    ............but............I just spoke with Boost on the phone and they acted so surprised that there was a delay in getting texts.....Also, they don't roam, so I won't have any service, as Sprint roams off the Verizon tower near us.

Phone
    i335
    Carrier
    Boost
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dekere View Post
    ............but............I just spoke with Boost on the phone and they acted so surprised that there was a delay in getting texts.....Also, they don't roam, so I won't have any service, as Sprint roams off the Verizon tower near us.
    but... If you have a huge text delay, you are either on Boost iDen or have a mis-configured CDMA phone. Any provider will have dead spots and gaps... so you have to figure out which is best for you. Because YOU live in a Sprint dead zone, doesn't mean everyone does.
    Here's tuit and tuit again, if you don't duit tuit when you get tuit, you'll never get tuit to duit tuit again!

I'm in shape... Round's a shape

Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Prevail
    Carrier
    Boost Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by offthegrid View Post
    The biggest problem with the Finesse is Brew since you won't be able to download any apps. No alternate browsers like Opera or Bolt. No Google Maps with latitude etc etc

Plus ST has tax on top of that price and no discounts available anywhere whereas Boost has no tax and discounts available easily with or without auto refill. So Boost ends up being the same or less as opposed to more the way you laid it out.
    Incorrect. Boost charges a processing fee of $5.55 when paying with a credit card. Its either taxes or a straight processing fee to VESTA or something like that. Also Boost cards are charged sales tax at POS where I live (significant at 9.75% sales tax). Only way I can avoid the tax is to buy the cards online.

Phones
    Pantech Ocean
    HTC Touch Pro
    LG Rumor 2
    Carriers
    Boost Mobile
    Virgin Mobile & Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BoostChicago View Post
    Incorrect. Boost charges a processing fee of $5.55 when paying with a credit card. Its either taxes or a straight processing fee to VESTA or something like that. Also Boost cards are charged sales tax at POS where I live (significant at 9.75% sales tax). Only way I can avoid the tax is to buy the cards online.
    There is no processing fee associated with paying via credit/debit, I pay a flat 50/month on both my lines. Also I live in Oregon therefor I do not pay sales tax, so that is Dependant upon where you live.
    Left Virgin for Helio and all it had to offer... Only to get "acquired" back to virgin again... slowly loosing everything I switched for. Then came a light at the end of the tunnel when we got "acquired" yet again by sprint... sadly they brought us nothing and took from us everything, so as the ship sank I stayed aboard and then on the 23rd I quickly ported over to boost... and I'm the happiest I've ever been.

RIP HELIO... you were set-up to fail but it was fun while it lasted.

Phone
    iPhone
    Carrier
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    Nice thread necro.

Anyway, callingmart is a good place to get around sales tax. In TX I pay sales tax on the monthly charge if I let boostmobile charge me. Not only do I not have sales tax through calling mart, I can get 6% for a total for 56.45 on my Blackberry plan.