Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Palm Pre Plus Release Thread

Device(s)
    S8, G5, Samsung Note 4 DE, Note 3, Moto DROID Bionic, DROID RAZR, Galaxy Nexus, Rezound, V9m, VX8000
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T PrePaid (GoPhone)
    Feedback Score

Palm Pre Plus Release Thread

=>Why did I leave Verizon Wireless after 18 years? Find out here: Leaving Verizon after 18 years!

=> Read my reviews for the Motorola DROID MAXX, DROID Ultra, and DROID Mini.

=> VX8000 at Disney World:Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4.

Device(s)
    Droid
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon #1
    Feedback Score
    Got mine at 9am and it took about 4mins after activation for all my info and calenders and email to show up! I love webos lol! This phone is sic! and thin! now Im loading The hangover and some music before work lol.
    My blog: http://droidphoto.wordpress.com/
    New Life Christian Fellowship
    www.nlcfsaginaw.org

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note II
    Carrier(s)
    VZDub
    Feedback Score
    Man. I expected there to be a lot more activity in this forum today.

What's the deal? No one's going for the Pre?

Feedback Score
    My thoughts exactly. I am ordering the Pre Plus today with my NE2. The Droid never impressed me with its industrial look and I honestly do not find the Android operating system to be all that intuitive. The only thing about the Droid I wished the Palm had is the turn by turn navigation but I have my Garmin for that and do not travel much.

Quote Originally Posted by mick4394
    Man. I expected there to be a lot more activity in this forum today.

What's the deal? No one's going for the Pre?

Device(s)
    Nexus 5
    Carrier(s)
    At&t
    Feedback Score
    Pre isn't that exciting to most people because its behind the times... I mean its a nice device, but the screen is much smaller than competitors, and Palm should have had new hardware besides the pixi by now.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note II
    Carrier(s)
    VZDub
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BigCTM
    My thoughts exactly. I am ordering the Pre Plus today with my NE2. The Droid never impressed me with its industrial look and I honestly do not find the Android operating system to be all that intuitive. The only thing about the Droid I wished the Palm had is the turn by turn navigation but I have my Garmin for that and do not travel much.
    Right now, I wouldn't trade my Droid for the Pre (which I also own). WebOS is beautiful, but very laggy and the App Catalog isn't on the level of Android's Market yet.

I am, however, interested in seeing where WebOS goes. The announcements Palm made at CES are pretty exciting. I'm hoping that this Verizon release will give the platform a shot in the arm, and development picks up some steam. I'm also hopeful that Palm will, eventually, start taking advantage of the GPU. Popular opinion in the Pre enthusiast community is that this would give the OS the speed boost that it needs.

It's a little disheartening to see that the level of excitement around here is, basically, non-existent. If you can't catch the attention of the enthusiast community, it can't bode well for the platform. In comparison, this place was a madhouse for the Droid release.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorilla
    Pre isn't that exciting to most people because its behind the times... I mean its a nice device, but the screen is much smaller than competitors, and Palm should have had new hardware besides the pixi by now.
    IMO, the Pre's screen size is one of its major pluses. It makes the device a lot more pocketable than almost every other smartphone out there, but is still large enough to be usable.

I'm not sure that people consider the Pre to be behind the times. Frankly, I don't even know what the heck you mean by that. It seems like kind of a generic comment, to me. I'd guess that the Pre's inability to snag some market share has a lot more to do with launching the device on Sprint than anything else. If they had launched on Verizon or AT&T, their position in the smartphone pecking order may be a bit different right now.

Device(s)
    Samsung Fascinate
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    There wasn't much advertisement for it and besides the people on the forums, pretty much no one knows that it was released today. Palm really needs to invest in a marketing department if they expect to not be out of business in a few years. While they haven't changed it much, I wouldn't say it's behind the times though. It's meant to be a compact phone and the form factor is what makes it attractive to the average person. I think I sold two while I was in the verizon store today. ha They were fairly busy and only had 1 pre plus and 1 pixi plus out. Neither of them knew the Pre had come to verizon until I showed them. Where's my commission? Below is what I posted in one of the other threads:

Spent about 45min playing with the Pre Plus during lunch break. I recently purchased the droid but am still within my 30 days so I decided to go take a look. I support about 5 Sprint Palm Pre's daily so I'm fairly familiar with the phone and the webos platform.

Software- Couldn't really tell any difference in the speed of opening apps and switching between them in card view than with a standard Sprint Pre. I'm guessing the only time you'd notice a difference in performance there would be when you have a lot of cards open or are playing a game. I still noticed a checkerboard pattern in the browser when flick scrolling, even after the page was fully loaded. Pinch-zoom still works great. I love WebOS though and I would hazard to say that it's the nicest mobile phone platform available.

Hardware- Initially found it kind of awkward not to have the physical home button but the touch sensitive button works great. After playing with the keyboard for a while, it definitely seems easier to type on than the original. Not really a fan of the springiness of the slider though. It snaps open and closed a little to easy and doesn't feel as solid as the Pre on Sprint. My concern is how well it would hold up as you could already feel play by twisting the screen and keyboard in opposite directions which we've noticed on the Pre's we have also. Other than WebOS, the form factor was what I liked the most. It's compact and feels great in the hand. Doesn't feel as solid in the hand droid but that's probably because it weighs an ounce less.

Overall I'd say the Pre Plus is pretty much the same as the Sprint Pre to the average person. If you've been eying the Pre and waiting for it to drop on Verizon you won't be disappointed. For $149 on a 2 yr contract, it's a great buy and as the engadget review said, it's pretty much a no brainer to go with the Pre Plus over the Pixi Plus. Don't think I'd pay full retain for it though. In the end, I'm probably going to stay with the Droid even though there's a lot I like about the Pre Plus. Just not ready to give up the larger screen, free google nav and the openness of android.

Feedback Score
    That's true, VZW really should have advertised the phones, but it doesn't seem like they have (at all).

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I got mine this morning. So far I like it.

Device(s)
    Unlocked iPhone 4
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    It has the same processor as the Droid. It's not behind the times at all.

Device(s)
    Motorola Droid X
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Nothing out of date about the Pre. I just can't get over how bloody slow it opens up programs. Isn't that everyone's biggest gripe with Windows Mobile? Why does no one care about that all of a sudden?

Device(s)
    Droid Incredible
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I ordered mine this morning from the website. Should have it tomorrow by 3 pm. I am really looking forward to testing out webOS.

Device(s)
    Sprint: iPhone 45-32
    Feedback Score
    I'm waiting a year till I can a used one off ebay cheap so I can put it on Page Plus. Of course, I will have to use anything data intensive via WiFi....
    iPhone 4S-32: Sprint SERO............Palm Pixi Plus: Page Plus ..............HP Pre3: AT&T GoPhone
    talk smart WB2YGF

Device(s)
    iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Did anyone come to Verizon for the Pre Plus or Pixi Plus? Most of the ones I sold today were new customers.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Device(s)
    Motorola Droid
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless /
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CellKrazeDude
    Did anyone come to Verizon for the Pre Plus or Pixi Plus? Most of the ones I sold today were new customers.
    I went to the Verizon store with the intent to buy a Pre Plus. It's a cool phone no doubt but in the end I decided to keep my Droid. $600 is too much for the Pre out of contract right now. If I can get one below $500 then I'll jump.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast