Thread: Cheapest way to use AT&T coverage (Prepaid Providers using AT&T Network)

Phone
    iPhone 4S
    Carrier
    PPC
    Feedback Score

Question Cheapest way to use AT&T coverage

Hey everyone - I was just curious if there was a cheaper way to use AT&T's coverage.

Here is what I am looking for this phone:

50-100mins/month
    15-30 texts month max (mostly just receiving them)
    No data ever

Needs to use AT&T towers. Where the phone would be used 90% of the time is in a dead zone for most providers. AT&T works very well there and that is it.

What has been tried -

T-Mobile so we can get on the Gold Rewards plan. Local T-Mobile store said the phone would roam fine on the local AT&T tower. It did not (the cheap Nokia phone). It kept trying to lock onto the faint T-Mobile tower so it constantly dropped calls. I forced it to use AT&T only and that barely helped. No idea why that did not work better.

Trac - made sure to get a AT&T sim and the phone worked perfectly where needed. Just did not like the keeping track of bonus codes being used and the a couple other small issues. Cost per minute is pretty high.

Net10 - picked up one of the cheap LG300 refurbs. Works great where needed. So far no real issues with the phone. Only downside is that once past the bonus minutes, you are stuck at a minimum of $15/mth for 150 minutes. Could try and buy more refurbs and transferring the number from phone to phone, but keep reading about phones being killed if that is done too often.

So are there any other options we could look into? I dont mind buying a used unlocked phone and setting it up. Phone just needs to work well as a phone and be simple to use.

Phone
    Palm Pixi Plus (Page Plus)
    Carriers
    Page Plus,
    Feedback Score
    You either have coverage or you have Sprint native, you can't have both.

PAYG rules; contracts are for fools.

Phones
    Motorola W376G
    LG VX-5500
    Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Have you thought of using the Tracfone Value Plan? $10/month will get you 100 minutes (with DMFL), bringing the cost down to $.10/minute. If you use 30 texts/month, at .3 units per text, you'd only need 9 minutes worth of talk time to cover the texts.

If you decide you need some more minutes, you can buy another 100 minutes for $10 as a minutes bundle. As long as you keep rolling your minutes over, the extra 100 minutes may be enough to last approx. 4 - 6 months on top of your standard 100 minute/month refill with the value pay.

The only thing is that you'll need to set up auto payment - I'm not sure how you feel about that.

The thing I like about it is that it gets you down to $.10/minute like Net10, but you're only committed to $10/month, not $15/month. I hope this helps.

Phone
    LG AX145
    Carrier
    Alltel/VZW
    Feedback Score
    I believe RedPocket uses ATT network as well:

http://www.redpocketmobile.com/

But it looks like they run $8.33 to $10.00 per month, though rates overall are considerably better than GoPhones.

AirVoice and O2/Locus are well worth considering (they have already been mentioned above) of course too.

I'm not in good ATT coverage area, so they have never been a good consideration to me, but hope you find a good solution for your needs.
    ~Michael~

Phone
    iPhone 4S
    Carrier
    PPC
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the suggestions. I will look into each of those.

My main issue is that where this phone needs to be used, has to be on ATT. Everywhere else I use Verizons network and it is perfect. Unfortunately, there is this dead zone that is just not reliable enough for Verizon where the phone is needed. ATT meanwhile has almost constant full signal strength there, so I am stuck with them.

Phone
    LG AX145
    Carrier
    Alltel/VZW
    Feedback Score
    I know I can totally understand on the coverage issue. I'm sure many others can too. Where I'm at, Alltel *was* the only feasible option....period! Now that VZW has taken over Alltel here, any VZW MVNO should work for me, but anything else is just not practical. I'd love to consider any of the GSM (ATT, TMobile) options, or even Sprint and their MVNOs, but it's just not worth it at this time. Maybe down the road, but not now. One of these other services could give me a top notch phone and unlimited service for $1/year and it'd still be a waste of money. So as many of us realize, coverage is pretty much the top concern for most of us, and then all the other details follow after that.

Let us know what you settle on, as it might help someone else make a decision down the line too.

Phones
    Unlocked Rogers Blackberry Q10 | LG Nexus-4 | Samsung Nexus-S
    Rogers SonyEricsson c510 (unlocked)
    Fido iPhone 3GS 32GB (unlocked)
    Carrier
    Fido | Rogers | Red Pocket Mobile | T-Mobile Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by EPMike
    I believe RedPocket uses ATT network as well:

http://www.redpocketmobile.com/
    I just want to confirm that RedPocket Mobile uses the AT&T GoPhone (Prepaid) network. I use RPM whenever I go to the US and in the places that I've visited, I generally don't have any issues.
    Fido (monthly plan - personal/data): Novatel Wireless MC950D or Nokia CS-18

Rogers (pay as you go - Canadian prepaid): "Fido" LG Nexus-4

Rogers (monthly BIS data plan): Blackberry Q10

Lycamobile (US prepaid): Sony-Ericsson c510 or Sony-Ericsson w300i

T-Mobile (US prepaid): unlocked Fido iPhone 3GS 32GB or "Fido" Samsung Nexus-S

My Tech Blog

Carrier
    All of them.
    Feedback Score
    I would say Net10 / Tracfone...

Technically, free, if you don't mind some effort...
    Home ISP, RR-Ultimate WiFi, $90/mo | Verizon 4G, $30/mo Unlimited

School, $5,000/semester | Work

Feedback Score

Prepaid on AT&T network

who Knows any prepaid service providers other than Go-Phone that operate on AT&T's network. (kind of like Pageplus on Verizon)

Phones
    N/A
    Pantech Jest
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Did you even look first? It's still on the first page of this forum:

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1614268

Phones
    HTC Mogul & TP
    Moto c290 & i425
    Nokia 6010 6600 6800a
    Carriers
    Boost CDMA Pre-Pay T-MO
    AirvoiceGSM LocusO2
    Feedback Score
    First of all chrisco welcome to HOFO. Be aware that the first rule of HOFO is SEARCH

That said Gophones 35 cents a minute sucks.

I personally like 02 (Locus) @ 14 cents a minute + free international calling to 50 countries. + I can purchase refill cards at my local Best Buy or Family Dollar stores in a pinch.

Many here also like Red Pocket which has rates a low as 10 a minute and they also have International calling (a little cheaper than O2 BTW). They are going to start some new month to month plans in a few weeks FYI.

I use O2 to call a mate of mine down under in Australia. However, Red Pocket is 2 cents a minute cheaper to Australia in total than O2. I'm considering porting to Red Pocket.

Both of these providers are a much better value IMO than Gophone. + You can drop their Sims into your At&t locked sim phone and use their services at a much cheaper rate than 35 cents a minute.

YMMV

Feedback Score
    sorry guys if I didn't follow protocol. brand new to the site and am trying to feel my way through. not real sure how to "search" just yet and I thought I was starting a new thread. not sure how it wound up here. I'll learn. Anyways, thanks for the help.