Thread: texting charges using @ vtext.com?

Phones
    Sprint Samsung Rant
    Boost motorola 425i
    ATT Motorola Razor
    Carriers
    sprint Sero
    ATT
    Feedback Score

texting charges using @ vtext.com?

Hello--my brother has PP and my Dad has VZ. Dad says don't text anymore because it charges him. Brother wants to know if he uses his PP phone and his texts originate from his phone using vtext.com as the address will it charge my Dads phone? Conversely will it charge my Dad if he uses his vtext.com address to text my Brother? thanks

Phones
    Verizon iPhone
    Droid Maxx
    Carriers
    Verizon Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bikes4u
    Hello--my brother has PP and my Dad has VZ. Dad says don't text anymore because it charges him. Brother wants to know if he uses his PP phone and his texts originate from his phone using vtext.com as the address will it charge my Dads phone? Conversely will it charge my Dad if he uses his vtext.com address to text my Brother? thanks
    Using vtext.com from a computer will not incur a charge for the sender but it will incur a charge for the receiver of the text (unless they have a texting plan). Using vtext.com on your phone will incur data charges (unless you have a data plan) for the sender and the receiver of the text will again incur a charge for receiving a text message (unless they have a texting plan).

Phones
    Nokia 8290 (TMO primary and site checker) / 6200 (850 roaming) / 6340i (AT&T PAYG and site checker)
    Nokia 8290 on Simple Mobile (T-Mobile site checker)
    6340i (AT&T site checker) / 6200 backup GSM phone with 850
    Carriers
    Simple Mobile / AT&T PAYG (for backup & checking cell sites) / PagePlus (trial)
    Vodafone NZ / M1 (SIN)
    Feedback Score
    Why don't you just try it?

It only costs a few cents and then you could contribute to this forum by telling us the outcome.
    AT&T and T-Mobile SF Bay Area+ Cell Sites - with Cell ID labels
    http://sfocellsites.com/
    Over 1,100 AT&T sites in the 9 Bay Area counties + San Benito, Santa Cruz and Monterey counties
    Now over 1,500 T-Mobile sites in these 12 counties

Phones
    Sprint Samsung Rant
    Boost motorola 425i
    ATT Motorola Razor
    Carriers
    sprint Sero
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by taoman54
    Using vtext.com from a computer will not incur a charge for the sender but it will incur a charge for the receiver of the text (unless they have a texting plan). Using vtext.com on your phone will incur data charges (unless you have a data plan) for the sender and the receiver of the text will again incur a charge for receiving a text message (unless they have a texting plan).
    thanks, thats what I suspected

Phones
    Sprint Samsung Rant
    Boost motorola 425i
    ATT Motorola Razor
    Carriers
    sprint Sero
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gregsmith59
    Why don't you just try it?

It only costs a few cents and then you could contribute to this forum by telling us the outcome.
    I don't have a Vz phone to test it. No charges would show on my Brothers phone becuz he has PP unlimited and my Dad has no internet to check for charges.

Phones
    Nokia 8290 (TMO primary and site checker) / 6200 (850 roaming) / 6340i (AT&T PAYG and site checker)
    Carriers
    Vodafone NZ / M1 (SIN)
    Feedback Score
    I don't have a Vz phone to test it. No charges would show on my Brothers phone becuz he has PP unlimited and my Dad has no internet to check for charges.
    Your brother's situation is irrelevant, according to your original post.

If your Dad has no internet you can register his account online with your internet. Sounds like he could use the help anyway.

No rocket science here...

Phones
    Sprint Samsung Rant
    Boost motorola 425i
    ATT Motorola Razor
    Carriers
    sprint Sero
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gregsmith59
    Your brother's situation is irrelevant, according to your original post.

If your Dad has no internet you can register his account online with your internet. Sounds like he could use the help anyway.

No rocket science here...
    must be rocket science to me, sorry. what good would it do my Dad to register his account online? Thanks

Phones
    N/A
    Pantech Jest
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Texts sent via the email address are going to get charged like they are from off the network. If his plan does allow free in network texts they have to originate from a VZ phone.

Phones
    Verizon iPhone
    Droid Maxx
    Carriers
    Verizon Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HF305
    Texts sent via the email address are going to get charged like they are from off the network. If his plan does allow free in network texts they have to originate from a VZ phone.
    Good point. I was assuming he meant to go to vtext.com on his phone via Mobile Web and send a text from there. More likely he meant using the email address as you suggest (cellnumber@vtext.com). In this case, both the sender and receiver will be charged for an SMS.

Phones
    Carriers
    Vodafone NZ / M1 (SIN)
    Feedback Score
    must be rocket science to me, sorry. what good would it do my Dad to register his account online? Thanks
    Hmmm .. I guess I underestimated or something.

1) brother sends text to Dad the way you were curious about.
    2) you check on the internet to see if your Dad was charged.
    3) well ... that was the whole thing already.

Carrier
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    I don't have page plus now. But I just tried my verizon phone. I can send an email to myphonenumber@vtext.com for plain text message. It will just show the first 160 characters of course. And I can send pix/sound file to myphonenumber@vzwpix.com. For sending out txt message to email account, I just tried a pix message. I sent it to my husband's gmail account, and the sender is myphonenumber@vzwpix.com. Those are all counted towards my message bundle allowance, no data charge.

Can someone confirm it works for P+ the same way? I am considering switching to P+

Here is a list of address that I copied from the verizon forum

Alltel
    [10-digit phone number]@message.alltel.com
    Example: 1234567890@message.alltel.com

AT&T (formerly Cingular)
    [10-digit phone number]@txt.att.net
    [10-digit phone number]@mms.att.net (MMS)
    [10-digit phone number]@cingularme.com
    Example: 1234567890@txt.att.net

Nextel (now Sprint Nextel)
    [10-digit telephone number]@messaging.nextel.com
    Example: 1234567890@messaging.nextel.com

Sprint PCS (now Sprint Nextel)
    [10-digit phone number]@messaging.sprintpcs.com
    [10-digit phone number]@pm.sprint.com (MMS)
    Example: 1234567890@messaging.sprintpcs.com

T-Mobile
    [10-digit phone number]@tmomail.net
    Example: 1234567890@tmomail.net

US Cellular
    [10-digit phone number]email.uscc.net (SMS)
    [10-digit phone number]@mms.uscc.net (MMS)
    Example: 1234567890@email.uscc.net

Verizon
    [10-digit phone number]@vtext.com
    [10-digit phone number]@vzwpix.com (MMS)
    Example: 1234567890@vtext.com

Virgin Mobile USA
    [10-digit phone number]@vmobl.com
    Example: 1234567890@vmobl.com

Phones
    N/A
    Pantech Jest
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    On Page Plus, texts coming into your phone from the email address will be charged standard text or MMS rates same as if they were sent directly from another phone. Also Page Plus charges additional for the data in an MMS; Verizon (prepaid or postpaid) doesn't.

Carrier
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HF305
    On Page Plus, texts coming into your phone from the email address will be charged standard text or MMS rates same as if they were sent directly from another phone. Also Page Plus charges additional for the data in an MMS; Verizon (prepaid or postpaid) doesn't.
    So I can still send email to, say, gmail account through txt messages on P+ and send messages from gmail to myphonenumber address. The address is still the same as verizon(@vtext.com and @vzwpix.com), correct? Does the 1200 TnT plan include MMS message, so there won't be any data charge?

TIA

Phones
    N/A
    Pantech Jest
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Yes, you can do that. You can send from the phone to an email address and email to vtext.com to be received on your phone.

On the 1200 plan every message, SMS or MMS, incoming or outgoing, will each count as one of the 1200 messages. MMS will also be charged data. The 1200 plan includes 50 MB of data per month. After that you pay 60 cents per MB overage.

Carrier
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Thank you HF305. The picture I just sent to gmail account is 92K. 50MB seems even less when MMS also counts toward it.