Thread: "Rooting" a Storm 2?

Phone
    BlackBerry Storm 2
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

"Rooting" a Storm 2?

I've been using a Pearl for quite awhile now and have not kept up with phone tech. I've just started reading a bit and am looking at a Droid vs. a Storm 2.

I've read a little about a hack ("rooting") that allows Droids to have similar capability to store and run apps to an iPhone using an SD card. Is the same sort of hack available (or necessary) for a Storm 2?

Thanks.

Phone
    Personal - Too Many.. see link in my signature
    Carriers
    Personal - Verizon Wireless (CDMA) |
    Feedback Score
    No there isn't.

BTW, Blackberries are secure and have yet to be hacked. That is one of the reasons many companies like using them.

Closest you can get to messing with a berry, is the "hybrid" OS's... where people mix/match the .COD files from one OS version to another.
    Verizon Wireless Customer Council Member
    Verizon PHONE Hacking Info & How To's click -> HERE, <-- If you have suggestions PM me
    Need Help? PLEASE POST IN THE FORUMS instead of PM'ing me!!
    Read -> An Open Letter to those who PM me for help!

New to forums? -> Posting and you! <-a MUST Watch for all!!

Equipment I Have/USE click here, Phone Labs Dock-N-Talk...

Phones
    Droid Maxx
    Retired: Many Motorola, such as DPC550,StarTac,V720. Also BB 9530,9850 (sigh)
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless (1994, GTE MobileNet)
    Feedback Score
    OTOH, most of the reasons people want to root/jailbreak a phone don't apply on Blackberries, since you can already install apps from anywhere, not just the official "store". And at least on the newer Blackberries, features supported by the hardware such as GPS are not blocked, and are available to third-party applications.

Phones
    HTC Droid Incredible
    Crushed: BlackBerry Storm 9530 5.0.0.419
    Retired: Motorola v9m, e815, i730, i530, i60
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I don't really understand what you would need to hack on the blackberry. Like CharlesH mentioned you can do mostly anything you want. There seems to be a lot more freedom than the iPhone but I don't know that much about the moto droid.

Phone
    BlackBerry Storm 2
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the replies.

What I'm trying to understand is the reasoning behind the 256 MB limit on app installation that the Droid and the Storm 2 when the iPhone allows up to 32 GB. If I understand the Droid hack correctly, "rooting" makes the SD card available for app installation, effectively closing the gap between the Droid and the iPhone.

I understand the desire to protect proprietary software from being passed around for free on SD cards, but I don't understand why any smartphone manufacturer would even offer phones with only 256 MB available for apps given the crazy success of the iPhone.

I've decided to stick with BB and go with the Storm 2. I won't switch carriers and with the exception of this issue I'm very happy with BB.

Hopefully the Storm 3 will address this issue in some way. Who needs a giant app store if you're severely limited in the apps you can install on your phone?

If I've misunderstood something please straighten me out.

Phones
    HTC Droid Incredible
    Crushed: BlackBerry Storm 9530 5.0.0.419
    Retired: Motorola v9m, e815, i730, i530, i60
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    If you install enough crap on your phone to exceed the 256 MB limit then let me know.

With regards to the iPhone, I think a microSD based platform is much better in terms of future-proofness. For the poor souls who bought the 4 GB iPhone or even the 8 and 16 GB, it is nice to know that if you have a blackberry you can always just upgrade your storage space or even have multiple microSD cards if you have that much stuff. If you store all your pictures, music, videos, etc on your SD card (and the storm 2 comes with a 16 gig) you should have plenty of extra room. The storm 2 also has 2 gigs of built-in flash.

Phone
    BlackBerry Storm 2
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    That makes sense. I ran into trouble quickly on my Pearl when I decided to consolidate gadgets, but with only 64 MB that's not surprising. With 256 it may end up as a non-issue.

Thanks again.

Phone
    Personal - Too Many.. see link in my signature
    Carriers
    Personal - Verizon Wireless (CDMA) |
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Majcolorado
    What I'm trying to understand is the reasoning behind the 256 MB limit on app installation that the Droid and the Storm 2 when the iPhone allows up to 32 GB.
    Two different operating systems, and two different ways of dealing with and using memory.
    If I understand the Droid hack correctly, "rooting" makes the SD card available for app installation, effectively closing the gap between the Droid and the iPhone.
    Nope. After rooting the droid, I can't make use of the SD card any differently.

Now, on older android platforms (1.5 and 1.6), there was a program you could install which allowed saving apps to a MicroSD card. BUT to install the app, you needed to ROOT your droid first.

Last I looked, this app doesn't exist on the Moto Droid, or other Android 2.0, 2.01 or 2.1 devices yet.
    I understand the desire to protect proprietary software from being passed around for free on SD cards, but I don't understand why any smartphone manufacturer would even offer phones with only 256 MB available for apps given the crazy success of the iPhone.
    Well, on my 256Meg Storm2, I have the following installed.....

Googletalk,
    BBMessnger v5.0.0.57,
    VZNav,
    Visual Voice Mail,
    Viigo,
    Facebook,
    Garmin Mobile,
    Fandango,
    Google Voice,
    Level,
    The Weather Channel,
    BBGPSGolf,
    edocrab,
    eWallet,
    GoogleSync,
    FlashLight,
    Bartender Pro,
    gCalc!,
    Google Maps,
    SPBTV,
    Vcast Song ID,
    Tetris,
    PBA Bowling2,
    Jeopardy Deluxe,
    Monopoly Here & Now,
    Sudoku Lite,
    Tiger Woods PGA Tour '09,
    Super KO Boxing,
    FerrariGT,
    Aces Blackjack,
    Wheel of Fortune,
    Reversi,
    Astraware Sudoku,
    Par 72 Golf II,
    Astraware Solitare,
    Documents to Go Premium,
    PDF to GO,
    Sky2 Prime Theme
    Opera Mini 5 beta 2
    BeWeather
    Wallpaper Switcher
    BerryBlab
    QuickPull Lite

And I still have 78.6MB free, and the device is running quite well. Why does my device need 32gig built in??

I don't understand the iPhone enough to say how it deals with apps vs music files, vs pictures, vs...

The BB keeps it separate and I can store documents, pictures, music, movies, ring tones, etc all outside the app space.

RIM's "limiting" the memory to 64, then 96, then 128 now 256 is more about how the OS is designed and works, not about security.

Oh, btw, if you're really concerned, you can look at Aerize Card Loader in RIm's app world -> http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/1144 Not sure how it works on the newer Berries, but...

Phones
    LG VX-10K Voyager
    BlackBerry Storm
    Moto Droid
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlesH
    OTOH, most of the reasons people want to root/jailbreak a phone don't apply on Blackberries, since you can already install apps from anywhere, not just the official "store". And at least on the newer Blackberries, features supported by the hardware such as GPS are not blocked, and are available to third-party applications.
    Hey there everyone, its been a while since ive been in the storm thread, but i just thougt id clear something up, im not here to bash anyone or anything, i enjoyed my storm

Anyways, i just wanted to comment on the above quote, all of what you said only really applies to jailbreaking, not rooting. Android devices (at least those on 2.0 and up) can install apps not on the market, there is a setting that can be set in the settings menu lol simple enough. Also all hardware is made avaible to the apps. On top of this Android is open source like Blackberry so you can do custimization easy.

Rooting is only really for the grand things, like overclocking and tinkering with the hardware (which isnt much necessary since android does a good job at resource managment) app2sd (which is the program Mark was refering to), loading other phones ROMS etc, so honestly rooting isnt necessary for most.

And I, like the rest of you on Blackberry or Android, know of the memory "limit". As others have stated in this thread, youll likely never reach it, and if you do (at least in android) the developer of an app can install as much as he/she wants to the sd card. for example theres a full fledged quake game on android that installs (I dont have it anymore so these are rough estimates) about 5mb to the phone and just under 300mb to the sd card. And yes if you really wished it, you could root and use the program app2sd.

Coming from both, i like most of the aspects of the Android OS better, but i do like the way Blackberry handles messeging, thatll likely never be beat.

Just my .02

Phone
    BlackBerry Storm 2
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the education. Given the information above I doubt I'll run into memory issues with the Storm 2 and it's highly unlikely I'll feel the need to hack anything.