Thread: Snowbird in Florida - Best Phone Plan

Feedback Score

Snowbird in Florida - Best Phone Plan

Wife and I have decided to get out of Canadian winters. We'll be spending time in Florida ranging from 3 - 4 weeks initially, spreading out those weeks over the whole year. Once fully retired, we're looking to spend up to 6 consecuitive months. We're both currently Rogers customers and both have unlocked non-smartphone GSM phones.

We're going to want to call and text back to Canada every day. I can see the phone calls being < 5 minutes ea. while text msgs might amount to 10 ea. daily.

I can see buying U.S. phone plans for us once the duration of our stays reach at least 1 month and last upwards of 6 months. Thinking I can suspend our accounts at the point we return to Canada until we return to Florida the next year.

Until then, I'm thinking pay as you go is the best solution ?? Posting this in the AT&T section because of our GSM phones, thinking we can pick up an AT&T pay as yougo plan and sim card and swap the sim cards in our phone as required...however I'm concerned about keeping our pay as you go plans alive during our short stay/long absence times during our initial short stays in Florida.

I'm confused as to which way would be the best strategy...pay as you go...???.buy a plan and suspend...??

I'm looking for suggestions ...anyone ???

Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    At&t does offer a Canadian calling/roaming plan that does not charge any additional fees for voice calls in either the US or Canada.

Click here for plan details: http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-pho...hone-plans.jsp
    If I'm annoyed and you're annoyed, does that make us a paranoid ??

Sarcasm is a fine art...

"Don't believe everything you think"

It's not a matter of if you win or lose, it's how you assign the blame

Phones
    Nokia 8290 (TMO primary and site checker) / 6200 (850 roaming) / 6340i (AT&T PAYG and site checker)
    Nokia 8290 on Simple Mobile (T-Mobile site checker)
    6340i (AT&T site checker) / 6200 backup GSM phone with 850
    Carriers
    Simple Mobile / AT&T PAYG (for backup & checking cell sites) / PagePlus (trial)
    Vodafone NZ / M1 (SIN)
    Feedback Score
    Both T-Mobile and AT&T will allow you to pay $100 and keep your account alive for a full year, so that should not be a problem with PAYG. At least AT&T (I don't know about T-Mobile) allows you to do auto-pay from a credit card if you don't want to pay all at once, but then you need to stay on top of it every 90 days in case the payment does not succeed.

With T-Mobile that $100 payment apparently elevates you to "gold" status, such that you only need to pay $10 minimum in subsequent years (I heard this second hand).
    AT&T and T-Mobile SF Bay Area+ Cell Sites - with Cell ID labels
    http://sfocellsites.com/
    Over 1,100 AT&T sites in the 9 Bay Area counties + San Benito, Santa Cruz and Monterey counties
    Now over 1,500 T-Mobile sites in these 12 counties

Phones
    att note 3, vzw charge
    ATT Note 3
    VZW Charge
    Carriers
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gregsmith59
    Both T-Mobile and AT&T will allow you to pay $100 and keep your account alive for a full year, so that should not be a problem with PAYG. At least AT&T (I don't know about T-Mobile) allows you to do auto-pay from a credit card if you don't want to pay all at once, but then you need to stay on top of it every 90 days in case the payment does not succeed.

With T-Mobile that $100 payment apparently elevates you to "gold" status, such that you only need to pay $10 minimum in subsequent years (I heard this second hand).

Also, att will hold your number/account for 60 days after your minutes expire. At least that's what I gather from their web page, when parking a number there for a few months.

Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by plane
    Also, att will hold your number/account for 60 days after your minutes expire. At least that's what I gather from their web page, when parking a number there for a few months.
    Yes, that is correct. Best suggestion is to refill at 59 days though.

Phone
    AT&T Tilt 2
    Carrier
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    You might want to consider getting Google Voice. They have free calling to canada and I assume free texting to canada as well. Then you wouldn't have to worry about having to get a canada program on your phone and can just use your regular pre-paid or post-paid minutes with either T-Mobile or AT&T.

Phones
    Apple iPhone 4, Sprint Treo 800w
    iPhone 4
    Palm Treo 800W
    Carriers
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    I'd say get a prepaid (US) and if you have something with WiFi (WinMo, iPhone, etc) use Skype to call Canada ($ 36/year unlimited)
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Carriers
    AT&T
    Vodafone Ireland
    Feedback Score
    OP, if you have Rogers/Fido, you can get a Rogers or Fido UMA phone and use it over wifi

i would go Tmobile to go, Goldrewards is awesome. texting to canada is domestic.

Check out my buyer/seller feedback: My HoFo Feedback

Proud AT&T customer with a grandfathered plan!

Phone
    16GB iPhone 4
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Prepaid, or if your a Comcast subscriber (cable) get their $25.00mo home phone plan or even Vonage. I will also suggest that you and your comrades TIP when your down here! Canadian snowbirds are known to be CHEAP here in South Florida!