Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Samsung U640 USB communications overview

Phone
    Samsung Convoy (U640)
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Samsung U640 USB communications overview

For those interested in accessing their Samsung Convoy (sch-U640) via the USB cable from their Windows computer, here are some insights not apparent in the Users Manual. (I use XP).

The phone distinguishes three modes of communication via USB with a computer:
    1. USB Mass Storage (Menu/9/2/8)
    2. USB Media Sync, and
    3. USB Modem.
    The last two are chosen by a setting at Menu/9/9.

1. USB Mass Storage Mode (also see Users Manual pg. 138)

USB Mass Storage mode allows access to the external (microSD card, if installed) memory through Windows Explorer. No phone-specific USB drivers are required for this connection. You have some limited control over which files or folders are stored on the card. This is managed at Menu/9/8/1 or from a screen appearing at insertion of a card. None of the phone’s “built-in” files are moved to the card. Certain copy-protected files also cannot be moved to the card. For instance, none of the built-in ringtones or built-in pictures is present. Although it is possible to move your contacts to the card (Menu/9/8/2/7/Options/3/MarkAll/Done/Yes/OK), the phone is unaware of contacts on the card. Therefore “copying” contacts to the card can be useful for backup purposes, but if you “move” contacts to the card then the phone will show no contacts. (Note that pictures, including any associated with contacts, are managed separately and may be stored on the card or in the internal memory, your choice).

It appears that in USB Mass Storage mode one can add contacts one at a time or en mass by copying contact vcf files from the computer to the my_contacts directory. Then, with the phone disconnected from the computer, move the new contacts to the internal phone memory (Menu/9/8/3/7/Options/3/MarkAll/Done/Yes/OK). I am not knowledgeable on what restrictions, if any, apply to vcf files acceptable to the phone.

If you have inserted a microSD card and wish to upload pictures to your phone for use as contacts photos, then you can use the following format: jpeg, 72 dpi, 1600 or less (wide) x 1200 (high). In USB Mass Storage mode copy the pictures into the my_pix folder.

2. USB Media Sync Mode (also see Users Manual pg. 126)

USB Media Sync mode allows the computer, running VCast Music with Rhapsody, to manage music files on the phone. Installation is a two-step affair. First one installs a phone-specific USB driver (say from http://www.vzam.net/vcastmusic/Step2...nufacturerID=4 ). The Convoy (sch-U640) is not listed in that drivers table, so I chose the sch-U620 driver. The driver installer appears to be the same for many of the Samsung phones. With the USB driver installed, next one installs VCAST with Rhapsody.

Note: actually, the phone connects fine in USB Media Sync mode without the USB driver, and VCAST works, but one gets annoying “Found New Hardware” messages from Windows at connection and disconnection.

One can access the device memory, in part, in Windows Explorer when the phone is connected to the computer in USB Media Sync mode. Only two music-related folders appear (Music, Playlist), and the Music folder is sorted into performer/album/ subfolders unlike when viewed in USB Mass Storage mode. Whether one sees internal or external memory depends on where the phone is storing music files.

Note: When one explores the phone without loading the USB driver, a third folder, “Albums” appears.

Note: It is apparently not possible, or at least not obvious how, to upload calendar items to the Convoy from the computer (say from Outlook) via the USB connection. This can be done, one item at a time, via Bluetooth (Users Manual pg. 93).

Note: the USB driver obtained here is not compatible with the software program BitPim, which does not find the phone at all in USB Mass Storage or USB Media Sync mode. But see below!

3. USB Modem Mode

This mode of communication is designed to use the phone as a USB modem to connect a computer to the internet via the cellphone network. For that purpose one must first install VZAccess Manager.

The USB Modem mode, established at Menu 9/9 followed by plugging in the cable, does not cause the device to display any entry in Windows Explorer.

Note: Whether or not VZAccess Manager is installed on the computer, the USB Modem connection allows BitPim to interact with the Convoy. BitPim has not evaluated the Convoy, but several of the program’s features work when one manually selects the SCH-U750 (Alias 2) phone. However, I have not tried to write from BitPim to the phone.

Feedback Score
    Hi,

Thanks for the info. I just got the convoy...and I am following your instructions but it's not working...must be doing something wrong...can you help?

I set the phone to USB modem...then plus the phone into my computer.

Then start BitPim...select U750 Alias 2...port auto

BitPim is just not detecting the phone.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

Phone
    Samsung Convoy (U640)
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Hi bkw999,
    Here is what I do.
    (1) Enter Menu 9 9 on the phone, select Ask On Plug, Set, End
    (2) Plug in the USB cable, Select Modem Mode, OK
    (3) The usual wallpaper should appear on the phone display
    (4) Start BitPim 1.0.7. On the bottom left the circle should be green "Ready"
    (5) On the bottom right should be a green circle and "Other CDMA phone on COM4-Detected" (or whatever port your USB is routed to)
    (6) Click on the settings menu icon (X of screwdriver and wrench)
    (7) Change the Phone Type to "SCH-U750 (Alias 2). OK.
    (8) The bottom right should now be a yellow circle and "SCH-U750 (Alias 2) on COM4-Manually Set"
    (9) Click on the upper leftmost Get Data From Phone icon (phone with away arrow), choose, say, phonebook replace all, and click OK.
    (10) In my case, that reads the contacts from the phone into BitPim.

If this does not work, perhaps the wrong COM port is selected in BitPim, or some other USB issue exists. See the help file in BitPim under USB.

Feedback Score
    Hi GRC,

thanks for the detail instructions.

I think it has something to do with my window 7 operating system. It's not seeing any COM port connected to the phone. I called Samsung and they said that they were working on window 7 drivers.

I may have to find a pc with XP. Any other ideas?

Thanks

Phones
    Samsung Rant (Black) M540
    Samsung Convoy SCH-U640
    Carriers
    Sprint PCS
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bkw999
    Hi GRC,

thanks for the detail instructions.

I think it has something to do with my window 7 operating system. It's not seeing any COM port connected to the phone. I called Samsung and they said that they were working on window 7 drivers.

I may have to find a pc with XP. Any other ideas?

Thanks
    BKW999,

Try changing your visual effects to non... in other programs that i use, programs dont work correctly if these settings are on as they are default when you install vista for nice looks.

GO TO:
    1. control panel
    2. click on performance information and tools
    3. click on adjust visual effects
    4. click on adjust for best performance
    5. click on apply and the computer will look like the good ol windows 2000 OS

Now to verify com port:
    1. control panel
    2. click on administrative tools
    3. click on computer management
    4. on the left pane click on device manager
    5. through that list look for all comm ports and trial and error

Let us know if it works

thanks!

Feedback Score
    Hi Coolpadres,

I followed your instructions...I am now seeing COM4 is a Samsung Modem device.....however, BitPim still can't detect the phone...I adjusted the port setting to COM4 and tried both other CDMA and u750 alias 2 options....same result.....any idea?

Thanks

Phones
    Samsung Convoy SCH-U640
    Carriers
    Sprint PCS
    Feedback Score

Unhappy

Hi Coolpadres,

I followed your instructions...I am now seeing COM4 is a Samsung Modem device.....however, BitPim still can't detect the phone...I adjusted the port setting to COM4 and tried both other CDMA and u750 alias 2 options....same result.....any idea?

Thanks
    Hi BKW999,

Sorry i cant help you with that since i dont own a vista nor windows 7. I will try it out on XP OS system and see if BITPIM reads it in XP PRO OS.

C

Phones
    Samsung Convoy SCH-U640
    Carriers
    Sprint PCS
    Feedback Score

Cool

Hi Coolpadres,

Thanks
    BKW999,
    I was having trouble connecting to the phone at first... so what i did to troubleshoot was the following on the BITPIM program:

***BEFORE DOING CHANGES MAKE SURE YOU HAVE PHONE PLUGGED IN AND ON MODEM MODE READY TO GET DETECTED BY BITPIM***

1. Go to EDIT-Settings
    2. On the com port click on (browser...) icon
    3. Click once on AUTOMATIC till you see it highlighted on very top
    4. Click OK
    5. Click OK again
    6. Close bitpim completely
    7. Start bitpim
    8. Wait for bitpim to find "other CDMA phone on COM X"
    9. Click ok
    10.Go to edit-settings
    11.On phone type - scroll down to SCH-U750 (Alias 2) and select it
    12.Click ok
    13.Click on GET PHONE DATA
    14.Under source click next to phone book and select ALL bubble on the phone book row
    15.Click OK and you shall see your PHONE LIST POP UP on BITPIM

AGAIN THESE SETTINGS WORKED USING WINDOWS XP PRO, BITPIM 1.0.7 AND THE RIGHT CONVOY PHONE SETTINGS SELECTED IN PHONE.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by coolpadres
    BKW999,
    I was having trouble connecting to the phone at first... so what i did to troubleshoot was the following on the BITPIM program:

***BEFORE DOING CHANGES MAKE SURE YOU HAVE PHONE PLUGGED IN AND ON MODEM MODE READY TO GET DETECTED BY BITPIM***

1. Go to EDIT-Settings
    2. On the com port click on (browser...) icon
    3. Click once on AUTOMATIC till you see it highlighted on very top
    4. Click OK
    5. Click OK again
    6. Close bitpim completely
    7. Start bitpim
    8. Wait for bitpim to find "other CDMA phone on COM X"
    9. Click ok
    10.Go to edit-settings
    11.On phone type - scroll down to SCH-U750 (Alias 2) and select it
    12.Click ok
    13.Click on GET PHONE DATA
    14.Under source click next to phone book and select ALL bubble on the phone book row
    15.Click OK and you shall see your PHONE LIST POP UP on BITPIM

AGAIN THESE SETTINGS WORKED USING WINDOWS XP PRO, BITPIM 1.0.7 AND THE RIGHT CONVOY PHONE SETTINGS SELECTED IN PHONE.

Hi, sorry to butt in on the conversation...but i would love some help too...

I did everything that was listed...my phone was listed on Bitpim and everything else...

BUt when i try to add ringtone and sound, it doesn't work...bitpim said that my phone is unavailable...

if you can help me i would really appreciate it!!!

thank you!!!

Phones
    PN-820
    Samsung SCH-U640
    LG VX8300
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I don't get an option for "Mass Storage" on my Convoy phone at all. It's just Media Sync or Modem mode.

Additionally, although I loaded midi files onto the phone's sdhc chip's my_sounds and my_ringtones directly and they show as options on the phone's menus, when I play them I hear nothing at all.

Feedback Score
    I got mine to work with Bitpim... although I had to connect to the phone serially via Bluetooth... I tried several times to make a hard wired USB connection but no luck... I think I need some sort of driver disc... Right now I have installed nothing...

Bitpim was able to pull all the contacts and images from the phone, but when I tried to add ringtones, they copied to the phone ok, but alas, they are not in the Ringtones on the phone... :-(

I suspect this phone needs a different folder structure or db format than the Alias 2... When I explored the file system on the phone, I found that Bitpim had indeed copied the ringtones to /brew/mod/mr

Sometime this week I'm going to try and copy the entire file system of the phone to my pc and see if I can find where those default 20 or so ringtones are...

Feedback Score
    It looks like ringtones might need to go here:

/brew/mod/10889/ringtones

Every time I try to copy something over it tells me
    "Access to this file/directory has been blocked by phone provider"...

I wonder if Verizon has now made it impossible to get ringtones over to their new phones without paying their fees...

Phones
    PN-820
    Samsung SCH-U640
    LG VX8300
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by skidaddytn
    It looks like ringtones might need to go here:

/brew/mod/10889/ringtones

Every time I try to copy something over it tells me
    "Access to this file/directory has been blocked by phone provider"...

I wonder if Verizon has now made it impossible to get ringtones over to their new phones without paying their fees...
    Would this surprise you?

Feedback Score

email mp3 ringtone

email an mp3 ringtone to your phone and you can select it as your ringtone when you receive it.Just send an email to (your number)
    9999999999@vzwpix.com and it will come to your phone as a multimedia message.

Feedback Score
    Yep... that works well.. A little slower than copying all at once with bitpim, but it does work...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast