Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Free WIFI Calling Blackberry

Feedback Score

Free WIFI Calling Blackberry

Here's the list of BlackBerries that do Wi-Fi Calling:
    Curve 8320, 8520, 8820, Curve 8900, Pearl 8120 and 8220, Bold 9700

Is it possible to do Wi-Fi calling WITHOUT A CARRIER? If not, what is the technical limitation that prevents it?

Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    These BlackBerries support UMA calling, not Wi-Fi calling. What is the difference, you may ask? UMA is a protocol that allows access to GSM services over the unlicensed spectrum. This could be over Wi-Fi or bluetooth or any other method. However, UMA on BlackBerries is restricted to being over Wi-Fi I believe. Wi-Fi is the physical link, and UMA is the protocol used to communicate with GSM providers. You cannot use the phone for free over UMA without a carrier to connect to, but you could perhaps get some VOIP application if there is one available that works over Wi-Fi and IP (instead of GSM).
    My Plan:
    Simple Choice Unlimited Talk + Text + Web
    Line 1: Unlimited 4G Data + 500 MB HotSpot
    Line 2: 2.5 GB 4G data/HotSpot

ALIQVA LOCVTIO DEMENS LATINA IN TRANSVERSVM SCRIPTA

Phones
    BB9700, wife S4, partner Galaxy Light
    S4
    wife S5
    Carrier
    T-M
    Feedback Score
    Aren't some Nokias capable of wifi calling?
    GoogleVoice (domestic call forwarding and cheap intl. calls) Use GV to give us a "home" number in a 2nd location
    3 T-Mobile lines - Unlimited talk and text. 1G data on each line . $90/mo. We have had no landline in 8 years

Phones
    iPhone 3G on T-Mo
    Curve 8900 - 5.0.0.592
    Nokia 1208 - backup
    Carriers
    Magenta FTW/
    Feedback Score
    +1

If you do not have a carrier you have no way to originate and 'route' a call. It can go over the Internet, but with UMA it just routes GSM calls over the Internet rather than the cellular network. But it's still a GSM call, plain and simple. IE no SIM card, no calls; WiFi, UMA or otherwise.
    Chicken Slut

'It's rich drunk, it's kinda like business drunk. Either way it's legal to drive' - Jack Donaghy

Carriers
    AT&T,
    Feedback Score
    Get a nokia phone (or any other that allows you to install a VOIP client) with Wifi and get an account with a company such as voipcheap. I make international calls this way using my home Wifi or any other Wifi, even without a sim in my E63. The key thing is that the phone has to be able to install an app like nimbuzz, fring, or have a voip client.

Phones
    S4
    wife S5
    Carrier
    T-M
    Feedback Score
    Mrcamp -
    I figured you would know the answer (or DRNewcomb who I don't see much here anymore).
    I assume that none of the BB phones can install a suitable app? What would be the lowest cost phone that can do this?
    Thanks.

...mike

Carriers
    AT&T,
    Feedback Score
    Most of the E series Nokia I know for sure will do it. They come with the client by default. I have the E63 which can be had for less than $200. I got it on amazon for $150, so you may want to check there. Dell and newegg also recently had it in the $179 range.

Once you get one of these, then you can install fring or nimbuzz and they both let you access your accounts from googletalk, skype, or any other voip provider such as voipcheap.

Quote Originally Posted by mikethaler
    Mrcamp -
    I figured you would know the answer (or DRNewcomb who I don't see much here anymore).
    I assume that none of the BB phones can install a suitable app? What would be the lowest cost phone that can do this?
    Thanks.

...mike

Feedback Score
    i think vonage just released an app allowing you to use their voip service with iphone or blackberry wifi radios. i assume UMA is not being used here since there is no affiliation with the cellular backbone when initiating voip calls. have a look.

Phones
    S4
    wife S5
    Carrier
    T-M
    Feedback Score
    What Vonage has is a service to let you place calls over their system from your cell phone. You are using your cell minutes because you are connected to a cell tower. It is meant for their regular home users so they can make calls via their own home account. It wouldn't pay just to get the $25/mo service from them just to make cheaper intl. calls. Google Voice is seamless on a BB and very cheap. No monthly fee.
    What I was looking for is the ability to use a phone that can place calls when on wifi, like described above.

...mike

Phone
    iPhone 5 - VZW
    Carriers
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Mike I think I may be doing what you are attempting to do.

I make calls strictly via WiFi using my Android powered devices. I downloaded a program from the Android Market called Sipdroid and I linked it to my Gizmo5 and Google Voice accounts. I now place outgoing calls and receive incoming calls all over WiFi. It also works on my cellular network but it very choppy or lagged at best.

This method would allow for free cellular free calling anywhere in the world that you have access to a wifi network. Well you might incur some cost due to Gizmo charging a small fee for outbound calls.

Phone
    iPhone 5 - VZW
    Carriers
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    And to add to that I think another program that can do it is Fring which might be available in the iPhone App Market.

Phone
    X10, BB 9700, BB 9800, N95
    Carriers
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    Right now there is no true voip client for BB. All the ones out there use youre regular cell connection. Heard a few reasons why this is ranging from RIM not allowing it because of their deals with the cell providers to some developers saying the OS isnt capable of doing duplex for a voip app, so it will just be like a walkie talkie. And yes many Nokia S60 phones have a built in sip client which works amazing since its so integrated into the OS. My N95, N96 and E71 have it. Skype has fairly recently released their beta app for S60 which works very well too. Also Skype is said to be working on a true BB client. Its in closed beta atm. So hopefully that comes out soon. A business phone like a BB shouldnt be without a voip client.

Phones
    S4
    wife S5
    Carrier
    T-M
    Feedback Score
    Once, again, this forum is a treasure trove of info!!
    Most business people don't want to juggle 2 or more phones. Why the BB (still the phone type of choice for a majority of business users) isn't designed to easily make use of wifi calling is beyond me--especially, as time goes on, wifi becomes more and more ubiquitous around the world. Hopefully, someone will come up with an app.
    Jason - When you say Skype is working on a BB "client", what is meant by "client"? I have seen that term used before like by Mr. Camp.
    Coorey - You say you use Gizmo5 w. GV on an Android phone. Is the voice choppy on both wifi and cellular? Also, this would mean having to give up my BB.

...mike

Feedback Score
    fajoff,
    storm2 and bold 9000 r also wifi.

Phones
    Blackberry Torch
    Blackberry Torch
    Iphone 4
    Carriers
    Vodafone
    Feedback Score
    im+ for skype can do internet calls over wifi but again its like walkie talkie

but it works only for skype and no other voip client

www.xeeta.com

another site which has been under development for a couple of years now yet havent released their sip/voip client for bb

truphone works on BB but it is placed via local dial in number that means you have to use your cell minutes

uptil now there is no client anywhere close to im+ for skype on bb which can do calls over wifi

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast