Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Want AT&T SIM in your new NET10 phone?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jimates
    If you enter a zip code and want to know what market area you are in, look at the url in the address bar.
    You can see the "Market= " as part of the address.
    "http://www.tracfone-orders.com/bpdirect/tracfone/Start.do?action=view&market=GSM4........"
    This tells you what market area the zip code you entered is in.
    what about GSM5AT? is that Tmobile Sim?

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SkyKing02
    what about GSM5AT? is that Tmobile Sim?
    It is both T-Mobile and AT&T. But they seem to send T-Mobile SIM`s, rather than AT&T.

Phones
    LG-VX8300
    Moto W376
    LG-225
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Regarding receiving a SIM from Tracfone or Net10 that has T-Mobile as primary carrier roaming on AT&T. I had an issue several years ago here in Lake County, Florida, before Cingular merged with AT&T. I discovered the problem when someone loaned me an AT&T Cell Phone so I could contact them in South, Florida Mobile to Mobile without using my Sprint Peak Minutes and their AT&T Peak Minutes. It turns out that the AT&T Cell Phone dropped calls. I investigated the matter with a Cell Phone Dealer I knew. He advised me that the cause of the dropped calls was because the AT&T Cell Phone kept trying to connect to a distant AT&T tower even though the signal was weaker than a nearer Cingular Tower. He had the same problem with his AT&T Cell Phone when in the same area.

I know that T-Mobile began to show coverage in my neighborhood about six months ago. I wonder if I will have a problem with dropped calls if get a tracfone with a 5AT SIM Card? I was told by the cell phone dealer that when moving from an area with a strong signal from Cingular to an area with a weak signal from AT&T, when the handset tries to connect to AT&T and the signal is not strong enough for a stable connection the call is dropped even though there was a nearby Cingular Tower. Anyone out there have any idea about this matter?

Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by willmatt
    Anyone out there have any idea about this matter?
    After many years with Trac, I have come to know that Trac will give you a sim for the carrier that charges them the least. So they push TMobile even if you will only get 1 bar in your location. Also, their phones are pretty cheap so, in my case, I carry an LG with AT&T sim and my husband has an LG CDMA (meaning Verizon) with no sim. Trac CS told me that CDMA would not work where I live, BUT it works great. The Dollar General 10 miles from us sells CDMA phones exclusively. Probably a clue.

Tmobile doesn't work at all where I live, but if I don't manipulate the zipcode when ordering a phone, it will come with a TMobile sim. Also, the JMart has a tutorial on how to order a new sim online. Find the zip that will get you the sim you need.

Feedback Score
    Tmobile doesn't work at all where I live, but if I don't manipulate the zipcode when ordering a phone, it will come with a TMobile sim. Also, the JMart has a tutorial on how to order a new sim online. Find the zip that will get you the sim you need.
    But won't tracfone just go on the AT&T in this case if there is no signal? I guess I don't understand what the big deal is with tmobile or at&t as the sim card. Won't it just fallback to the backup carriers?

Phones
    LG-VX8300
    Moto W376
    LG-225
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

No signal is not the problem!

The question is that when there is a weak T-Mobile signal and a strong AT&T signal will the handset try to connect to the T-Mobile Tower but if the T-Mobile signal fades below a certain level will the connection drop? Will the handset ever connect to the stronger AT&T signal or will it connect to the AT&T tower and then drop when the T-Mobile signal increases?

This was the same sort of problem I had when I moved here. I had Sprint but could not get a reliable connection in this house. There is a Verizon tower about one mile away. Occasionally the Sprint Handset would connect to the Verizon network but the connection would almost immediately drop. I would get 5 Bars of signal when connected to the Verizon tower but 1 fluctuating bar of signal when connected to the Sprint tower. For that reason I was forced to switch to Verizon. My usage has dropped so low that I am considering switching to Tracfone to save money, that is why I asked the question regarding the interaction between the handset, T-Mobile and AT&T Networks.

Feedback Score
    Have you checked both the tmobile and att coverage maps for your house?

Phone
    Motorola V176, LG600g, LG3280
    Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by logybogy
    Have you checked both the tmobile and att coverage maps for your house?
    It is a proven fact that the coverage maps are not all that accurate

Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by logybogy
    But won't tracfone just go on the AT&T in this case if there is no signal? I guess I don't understand what the big deal is with tmobile or at&t as the sim card. Won't it just fallback to the backup carriers?
    I have to assume not. Think it depends on what provider Tracfone THINKS will work for you. Would be really happy if the phone would switch from Tmobile to AT&T; possibly there is no such thing. Also, some of my coworkers have Tmobile accounts. When they come to my house, they have no signal at all. So this tells me there is no tmobile signal in my neighborhood.

Since AT&T and Verizon work great, I just avoid Tmobile completely. Any phone with a Tmobile sim gets 0 or 1 bar and most of the time says "emergency only." Pretty worthless unless I drive 6 miles south.

Phones
    Samsung T201G
    Motorola W376
    BlackBerry 8703e
    Carriers
    AT&T (Tracfone / Net10)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by weiden1
    I have to assume not. Think it depends on what provider Tracfone THINKS will work for you. Would be really happy if the phone would switch from Tmobile to AT&T; possibly there is no such thing. Also, some of my coworkers have Tmobile accounts. When they come to my house, they have no signal at all. So this tells me there is no tmobile signal in my neighborhood.

Since AT&T and Verizon work great, I just avoid Tmobile completely. Any phone with a Tmobile sim gets 0 or 1 bar and most of the time says "emergency only." Pretty worthless unless I drive 6 miles south.

Unfortunately the contract with Trac and T-Mo states that the phone will not roam on AT&T unless there aren't ANY T-Mo towers in the area. Where I live, a T-Mo based phone will roam on AT&T just fine since T-Mo doesn't have any towers within 50 miles of me. If you go to Grand Rapids, MI, the same T-Mo based Trac will not roam on anything -- no T-Mo tower, no service, since T-Mo has towers in the greater metro area (but maybe not in your location).

Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by mharris127
    Unfortunately the contract with Trac and T-Mo states that the phone will not roam on AT&T unless there aren't ANY T-Mo towers in the area. Where I live, a T-Mo based phone will roam on AT&T just fine since T-Mo doesn't have any towers within 50 miles of me. If you go to Grand Rapids, MI, the same T-Mo based Trac will not roam on anything -- no T-Mo tower, no service, since T-Mo has towers in the greater metro area (but maybe not in your location).
    That must be it exactly. Although my address is Tucson, AZ I am about 25 miles north of town. Even live in a different county than the city of Tucson. That's where the CDMA comes in - my county is CDMA. Tmobile is very popular here so they must have good service actually in Tucson.
    Too bad Trac doesn't know that - they always want to "discuss" it with me when I don't want their tmobile sim.

They should listen to the customer if the customer has the information.

Phones
    Samsung T201G
    Motorola W376
    BlackBerry 8703e
    Carriers
    AT&T (Tracfone / Net10)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by weiden1
    That must be it exactly. Although my address is Tucson, AZ I am about 25 miles north of town. Even live in a different county than the city of Tucson. That's where the CDMA comes in - my county is CDMA. Tmobile is very popular here so they must have good service actually in Tucson.
    Too bad Trac doesn't know that - they always want to "discuss" it with me when I don't want their tmobile sim.

They should listen to the customer if the customer has the information.

If your county is CDMA, then you need a phone that doesn't take a SIM. Here is a link to those phones: http://www.tracfone-orders.com/bpdir...list=true&AID=

If you talk much, you will want to add a Double Minute for Life card to the phone before adding any time to it. Those are $30, ordered off of the Tracfone website.

Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the info. Actually, I have one of each. LGs with an AT&T sim get great reception. (Motorolas with AT&T sim don't work )

Just kinda stumbled upon the CDMA aspect when wandering through Dollar General in a small town 10 miles north of me.

Did not know Verizon was CDMA. So thats when Trac told me they would not work. Bought one anyway, fired it up and it works great. Since then have done alot of reading on trac forums so got the scoop now.

When we travel, we take one of each to (hopefully) get the best coverage possible.

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    The DMFL card on the Tracfone website has been offered for $19.99 for some time now. They still list it as a limited time offer.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2