Thread: Straight Talk number

Phones
    e815
    SCH451C
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Straight Talk number

When I bought my phone and card, I called ST to activate and was given a number the lady at CS promised was a new/unused number which is what I asked for. It was not. Since activation I've received calls from Collection agencies/messages from people I don't know/missed calls......and I've not given the ST number to anyone yet! It's very annoying and collection people don't believe a word you tell them. Whoever had the number before was trouble and now I have to deal with it!! Called CS to complain about being lied to and was told there are no new/unused phone numbers. How can that be? ST is new in the Central Texas area. This is unfair and CS is useless if you can understand them at all.....

Carrier
    PagePlus - No Dealer Required
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveSTexas
    When I bought my phone and card, I called ST to activate and was given a number the lady at CS promised was a new/unused number which is what I asked for. It was not. Since activation I've received calls from Collection agencies/messages from people I don't know/missed calls......and I've not given the ST number to anyone yet! It's very annoying and collection people don't believe a word you tell them. Whoever had the number before was trouble and now I have to deal with it!! Called CS to complain about being lied to and was told there are no new/unused phone numbers. How can that be? ST is new in the Central Texas area. This is unfair and CS is useless if you can understand them at all.....
    Call CS and request a number change. They will normally give you a different number without much hassle. Keep doing so until you get a decent number.

Phones
    e815
    SCH451C
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Thanks. Tried that. CS person told me I'd have to buy a new card, meaning the card I have would be wasted. Apparently that would be the same procedure each time I get another bad-person number. That is just not right in my opinion. No way to block numbers through the phone apparently. I just want my own private number not a recycled one......

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    I'm so grateful my activation went smoothly. Because, I keep reading horror stories.

Doesn't anyone care about providing good service anymore.

If you bought the phone and card at Walmart. Bring it back and try to get all your money back.

I already miss AT&T.

Phones
    Samsung Omnia i910
    HTC Touch Pro
    Carriers
    PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    If it helps to know, you're not the only one. I get a lot of random calls as well even though I only give my number to very few people, so I suspect my number is not new either.

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    There probably are no new numbers out there. But they shouldn't be reusing them for at least six months.

Phones
    e815
    SCH451C
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I've found out ST uses Vz cell number, so I checked the numbers with the prefix they gave me. Goes from 0000 to 9999. I'd try to port my old Vz number but after reading so many horror stories.....my Vz number is from a company Vz bought when they went into business. I may just junk this ST company and sell the 451c phone. I'm a senior citizen and don't need the aggravation. Only reason to change from Vz was the better deal with ST and it being nationwide access. My grandfathered plan is Texas only with 2.5hr talk time.

Phones
    Samsung Omnia i910
    HTC Touch Pro
    Carriers
    PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    well tech support seems to be the trade off for not being locked into a super expensive normal phone plan

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Realize that ST is a division of Tracfone and uses the same phone number "pool". Some people (NOT ALL) who buy Tracfone are strapped for cash, the type who may end up in trouble with credit companies, or have lots of friends who don`t seem to know they don`t have the phone (on number) any longer.

If you need a new phone number with ST you need to complete your 30 days so you don`t take a chance loosing your current minutes or days when adding a new card.

Phones
    e815
    SCH451C
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Some people (NOT ALL) who buy Tracfone are strapped for cash, the type who may end up in trouble with credit companies, or have lots of friends who don`t seem to know they don`t have the phone (on number) any longer.
    Good point. Had not thought about that. So I'll wait for new card date and try to get a 'clean' number.

Question: I never set up voicemail. Phone is new, but voicemail seems to be set up to go to a 'message taker' service. Is that some kind of default thing or is the voicemail set up from the last person who had the phone number? Is there a way to turn voicemail Off? Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveSTexas
    Some people (NOT ALL) who buy Tracfone are strapped for cash, the type who may end up in trouble with credit companies, or have lots of friends who don`t seem to know they don`t have the phone (on number) any longer.
    Good point. Had not thought about that. So I'll wait for new card date and try to get a 'clean' number.

Question: I never set up voicemail. Phone is new, but voicemail seems to be set up to go to a 'message taker' service. Is that some kind of default thing or is the voicemail set up from the last person who had the phone number? Is there a way to turn voicemail Off? Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.
    Voicemail seems to be a standard feature on all cell phones, want it or not. I have upgrade phones (mine and my wifes, Net10) several times. When I activated the new phones with a transfer of minutes/days/phone number from the old phones the voicemail always transfered also and was set up on the new phone without me doing anything. One time I had a saved message and it transfered also. The access code I originally set up on the first phone has transferred each time also.

I am not sure if the Voice mail is tied to the phone number such that it would follow it through a phone de-activation, into a unused number pool and then assignment to a new customer. If your access code stayed with it the new owner would never be able to access the account for messages or to make changes. Since you will be dropping your current phone number I guess you could leave a voice messsage for the next person that gets the phone number to call you and report what happened.

Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Also had this problem. So I left a voice mail message saying "Jane Doe no longer has this number. If the message is for her, it will be deleted. If your message is for me, please leave your name and number and I will call you back."

The previous owner also had collection calls and people whom I couldn't even understand leaving messages. After about 3 weeks all the calls stopped. Eventually changed my message back to the standard option (no name) and haven't had a problem since.

If your voice mail set-up without your input, I would change the password just to be safe.

Phones
    e815
    SCH451C
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Thanks. I never set it up, but when a voicemail shows in Menu I can access it by *86. I supposed that is the password? It's not something that I had anything to do with, which is why I asked about it being a default type thing. When I call the number it says xxx-xxxx is not available and it then goes to the message taker service.

Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    I believe *86 is not the "code/password" for your phone. Pretty sure *86 gets you voicemail on most Tracfones. You also can just hold down the 1 (number 1) key. You can get voicemails by calling your cell from a land-line, but you must know the password (4 digits) for your particular phone.

Do you ever get any options like "change your password" or "choose the type of voicemail message" (Standard or Personal Greeting)??? If not, I'd say your voicemail situation is left over from the previous owner. You need to get the password changed to your password.