Thread: Data Only?

Feedback Score

Data Only?

Hi everyone, I was wondering if I could get a plan for data only on fido. If not, is it possible to have the data sent to one phone and the voice to another?

The reason I ask is because I wanted a blackberry for bbm only and another phone for my voice and texting etc...or would I need to get another voice plan and have the bbm add on for it?

Thanks everyone!

Feedback Score
    BTW im not sure if i added it in the right forum...im new to this sorry.

Device(s)
    Unlocked Rogers Blackberry Q10 | LG Nexus-4 | Samsung Nexus-S
    Carrier(s)
    Fido | Rogers Prepaid | LycaMobile US | Bell | T-Mobile Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    I believe that you added this to the wrong subforum...

In any event, on Fido, it is possible to have only a data account (via the internet stick) which you can then move to a phone to use it only for data. However, in terms of Blackberry data, it isn't possible. You will need a voice component if you want Blackberry data.

It is possible to do what you're looking for on Rogers (at least I had it done for me). I have a Blackberry (BIS) only data plan on my Rogers SIM without a voice component. I basically pay for BIS + GRF (government recovery fee). Any calls that I make using this SIM card are supposedly $1/minute (I have not tried it because of the costs and because I have a voice block on my account that I haven't deactivated).
    Unlimited Fido Data Plan: Netgear Aircard LTE Mobile Hotspot

My Tech Blog

Carrier(s)
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    ^You can get a BIS plan on Data Only now. I know 3 people on Fido who do this.

Device(s)
    BlackBerry 9700
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    for BIS on Data Only you might need to make a call. It's not something a typical Fido retailer will be able to add in store / is trained on (yet)
    Code:
    [email protected]: You won't catch me with wind, unless I've had ribs

Feedback Score
    ok thanks everyone. i'll definitely give them a call or something...and sorry again for posting in wrong sub forum.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WorldIRC
    ^You can get a BIS plan on Data Only now. I know 3 people on Fido who do this.
    That's good news... hopefully, it isn't 3 people in the entire company that knows how or who does this.

It saves me from the GRF in the event that I want to switch to Fido. When I was researching on which provider to go with in terms of my Blackberry services, Fido told me that they couldn't do this (me getting BIS without a voice plan).

Even though I'm not under contract, for the time being, I'll stay with Rogers for my BIS... eventually, I might ask them for a credit equivalent to what I'm paying for the GRF after being with them for awhile. If I don't get it, I'll then switch to Fido since I unlocked my Bold 9700 and can use it with almost any Canadian provider.

Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    I just called fido for this. I am looking at getting just the data plan for the blackberry and was told that I need to have a $7 "charge" tacked on to the $25 plan.

Is that true, or did the CSR not know?

Device(s)
    Samsung SCHU430
    Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vick
    I just called fido for this. I am looking at getting just the data plan for the blackberry and was told that I need to have a $7 "charge" tacked on to the $25 plan.

Is that true, or did the CSR not know?
    Let me know if you got an answer to this. I might be interested too.

Thx

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    With a $7 "charged" tacked onto the $25 plan, it would be better to pay the Rogers' GRF and get the same $25 500MB plan.

I've heard that Fido data only plans carry an extra charge but since I don't have a data only plan with Fido, I'm not sure whether it actually carries an extra charge or not.