Thread: Can I activate a used Droid without a contract?

Feedback Score

Can I activate a used Droid without a contract?

I have an old prepay account. If I buy a used Droid, can I activate it on my prepay account like I would any other phone, without a contract or extra charges? I know I wouldn't be able to use the cellular Internet or whatever. I mainly would want the phone for calls, wifi Internet at home, playing mp3s, and miscellaneous PDA stuff.

Phone
    Droid
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Verizon won't activate a smart phone without a data plan, no if, ands, or buts about it.

As for no contract, not sure on that one.
    Matt

Feedback Score
    I don't know if you can do it on a prepay account, but if you buy a used droid like on ebay, as long as it has a clean esn and the prior account used with it is not in default, you do not have to sign a new contract to activate it. That's why the droid and other phones sell for hundreds more on ebay than buying it from verizon with contract.

Phones
    Samsung Fascinate
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    He'd still be required to add data so I'm guessing that would count under "extra charges"

Feedback Score
    Damn, that sucks. I just want a phone with a decent quality mp3/AAC player and a card slot (with 8GB and preferable 16), so I don't have to carry an Ipod and a cellphone at the same time. (The wifi Internet on the Droid would have been nice too.)

Phones
    Samsung Fascinate
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    ha yeah, you either get cellphone + 29.99 for data or just wifi and media player for just the cost of the phone but then you'd need another phone to talk on.

Feedback Score
    You can go no-contract (month-to-month), but they'll still require the data plan.

Phones
    Verizon iPhone
    Droid Maxx
    Carriers
    Verizon Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by riker1384
    I have an old prepay account. If I buy a used Droid, can I activate it on my prepay account like I would any other phone, without a contract or extra charges? I know I wouldn't be able to use the cellular Internet or whatever. I mainly would want the phone for calls, wifi Internet at home, playing mp3s, and miscellaneous PDA stuff.
    1)There's no such thing as a "contract" with prepay

2)Verizon doesn't allow smartphones of any kind to be activated on prepay (IN Pulse).

Phones
    Droid Eris
    TP2
    iPad ♥
    Carriers
    VZW,
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I'm so tempted to recommend Page Plus, but I can't bring myself to do it.

But, you can go on a month-to-month basis with Verizon without a contract. That is what I'm doing on my Droid. They do run a credit check (they did in november), even though you are not signing a contract, which sucks.

Android fanboy til I die!!! G1 FTW!!! F$^k Apple!!

Phones
    VZW Customer Council Member
    Droid Bionic, HTC Tbolt&Inc, Droid X,O2,Droid,BB Tour/Storm/Pearl,GzOne, LG Dare/enV/Choc,HTC Touch,
    Sam BJ2/Juke/Alias,iPhone 2G, MiFi, Moto Q9m/v3xx/168i
    Carriers
    Verizon,
    Feedback Score
    I was going to recommend PagePlus myself, I have used it in the past to use PDA phones as "just phones." Unless something has changed what is the problem with going that route?

Feedback Score
    I looked in the Pageplus forum, and apparently they've banned some smartphones. It's not clear if they'll accept a Droid. There's a big controversy going on, people are pissed.

Phones
    VZW Customer Council Member
    Droid Bionic, HTC Tbolt&Inc, Droid X,O2,Droid,BB Tour/Storm/Pearl,GzOne, LG Dare/enV/Choc,HTC Touch,
    Sam BJ2/Juke/Alias,iPhone 2G, MiFi, Moto Q9m/v3xx/168i
    Carriers
    Verizon,
    Feedback Score
    It has been a couple of years since I used them, bummer. I guess Verizon clamped down a little on them, probably worked some restrictions into their agreement.

Phones
    Motorola Droid
    Apple IPhone
    Boost i9
    Carriers
    PagePlus
    Boost Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by riker1384
    I looked in the Pageplus forum, and apparently they've banned some smartphones. It's not clear if they'll accept a Droid. There's a big controversy going on, people are pissed.
    I just activated a Droid on PagePlus a couple of hours ago. Phone, Text, and Data all work.
    Boss.