Thread: How do I validate a ESN

Feedback Score

How do I validate a ESN

Before I purchase an used phone I want to valid its ESN to make sure it's clear? How do I validate a ESN?

thanks
    Brian

Phones
    Droid RAZR and RAZR M
    Droid RAZR on PP
    Droid RAZR M on PP
    Carrier
    Page Plus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    To validate an ESN, just call PPC and activate. If it goes through, it's clean.
    Just the Smilies I like: Ok, I'm done.

DISCLAIMER: I am not liable for any damage to any phones from my suggestions. Please be a responsible cell phone owner.

Phone
    OnePlus
    Carrier
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    But in this case the person has not bought the phone yet .. so they probably don't want to activate it yet. I know some of the dealers on here will do ESN Checks, so just PM them or check their individual websites. They do charge for this service, sometimes, while PPC would be free (if you can get through and wait)

Feedback Score
    Some dealers don't appear to charge. I think one guy named Johncase3 or Johncase03 was doing free esn checks if you pm him. I think Kitty wireless is too. Pm them and ask.

Phones
    Storm 9550 - work
    Storm 9530 (2 of em)
    Pearl Flip - personal
    Carrier
    Verizon-for now, their incessant bugging to get off my alltel plan is annoying
    Feedback Score
    couldn't you dial *611 from the phone assuming it hasn't been flashed to something weird, even not on a line it should connect to the original carrier where you could ask if the esn is clear? I'm asking as much as suggesting advice, I wont buy a phone from someone not willing to meet me at a store so never tried this.
    Alltelives: I'm a "King Member" Stunke said so

Carrier
    Sprint postpaid :(
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by uat1
    Before I purchase an used phone I want to valid its ESN to make sure it's clear? How do I validate a ESN?

thanks
    Brian
    You can always call P+ customer service and ask them.

Feedback Score
    Even if it's not free, the fee should be minimal right? It will be well worth it I think. It's a lot of risk when buying a phone from ebay/craigslist. You never know what you are going to get... it is like a box of chocolate....

I definitely don't want to activate it yet since I don't own the phone yet, just want to check it first before i buy.

Carrier
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    My strategy on Fleabay goes like this: Bid assuming the ESN is good. If I win, I get the ESN and call up VZW to confirm its clean prior to issuing payment. The hassle of getting the esn from the seller prior to bidding on time limited auctions has caused me to miss a couple of good deals. Instead I'll take the risk of ending up with an unpaid item report on my e-bay account but I doubt a seller who has misrepresented the legitimacy of the ESN will go that far in the face of clear evidence of that fact.

Feedback Score
    That's a good strategy.... I will do that too.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DaddyMikey1975
    You can always call P+ customer service and ask them.
    FYI: I haven't tried calling but the last time I emailed P+ customer service asking for an ESN check this is the response I received:

"Unfortunately, we are unable to check ESN's without attempting to activate them. Our customer service agents are available from 9am – 10pm on Monday through Saturday and 12pm – 8pm on Sunday. Please dial #737 and then press the send key from your cell phone or call 1-800-550-2436 from a land line. Thank you, xxxxx Customer Service Representative Page Plus Cellular "

In this case, he hasn't bought the phone yet, so this particular Customer Service Representative wouldn't be much help. I suppose it depends on who you get.

Phone
    Sprint Samsung Galaxy S3
    Carrier
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    At least for Verizon phones, you can call Verizon and have them check it. If time is not an issue then try emailing Verizon, it takes 2 or 3 days to get a response... that's what I did last time.

Phones
    Nokia 8290 (TMO primary and site checker) / 6200 (850 roaming) / 6340i (AT&T PAYG and site checker)
    Nokia 8290 on Simple Mobile (T-Mobile site checker)
    6340i (AT&T site checker) / 6200 backup GSM phone with 850
    Carriers
    Simple Mobile / AT&T PAYG (for backup & checking cell sites) / PagePlus (trial)
    Vodafone NZ / M1 (SIN)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by yokem55
    My strategy on Fleabay goes like this: Bid assuming the ESN is good. If I win, I get the ESN and call up VZW to confirm its clean prior to issuing payment. The hassle of getting the esn from the seller prior to bidding on time limited auctions has caused me to miss a couple of good deals. Instead I'll take the risk of ending up with an unpaid item report on my e-bay account but I doubt a seller who has misrepresented the legitimacy of the ESN will go that far in the face of clear evidence of that fact.
    I've found a lot of dealers won't even answer inquiries during an auction, and some give useless answers.

So far I've had good luck just buying phones from ordinary joe's, who say things like I just upgraded to a newer phone. They could be liars, but so far I've had 100% success without checking ESNs. Of course, if someone is spending a couple $100 then maybe they don't like this approach.
    AT&T and T-Mobile SF Bay Area+ Cell Sites - with Cell ID labels
    http://sfocellsites.com/
    Over 1,100 AT&T sites in the 9 Bay Area counties + San Benito, Santa Cruz and Monterey counties
    Now over 1,500 T-Mobile sites in these 12 counties

Feedback Score
    I ask if the phone's ESN/MEID is clean/ready to activate through ebay messages. Hopefully they reply using ebay's message system. I make sure I keep a copy. Then if I have trouble activating the phone, I will try to work it out with the seller. If not, I file with Paypal, and reference the email. Thus the seller has misrepresented the item for sale.

Carrier
    All of them.
    Feedback Score
    Changing ESN online,

if it comes up:

Error
    com.pagepluscellular.trail.ws.exception.DealerAgen tTransactionServiceException
    Sorry, we have encountered an error. Please try again

Then that is a good sign that ESN is banned? (smartphone, prepaid, etc)
    Home ISP, RR-Ultimate WiFi, $90/mo | Verizon 4G, $30/mo Unlimited

School, $5,000/semester | Work

Phones
    Droid 2 / Palm Centro Back Up
    Sprint MetroBerry 8530 Test Phone
    PPlackBerry 8703e Test Phone
    Carriers
    Verizon / Page Plus
    H2O / Simple Mobile / Airvoice
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Extraordinary
    Changing ESN online,

if it comes up:

Error
    com.pagepluscellular.trail.ws.exception.DealerAgen tTransactionServiceException
    Sorry, we have encountered an error. Please try again

Then that is a good sign that ESN is banned? (smartphone, prepaid, etc)

I get that error when the portal is down, not when its an invalid ESN, Try whatever I am doing again a few minutes later or hours later and it goes thru.

And I copy and paste into it, so no chance of miss typing.
    ~Mark

I'm a CDMA Guru are you? www . cdmagurus . com