Phones
    LG VX10000 Voyager Titanium
    LG VX9900 enV Silver (Retired)
    LG VX6100 (Retired)
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Locked ESN/MEID Questions...

I was considering purchasing a newer phone on eBay and I'm concerned about getting one with a locked MEID. I have a couple of questions about this:

First, has anyone had this happen? Did you manage to get your money back, or were you SOL?

Second - *if* the phone is locked, what reasons would it be locked? Just if the phone was reported lost or stolen? Or are there other reasons?

Finally (and this is more just curiosity than anything) - does the account show *why* the phone was locked? For example, if I reported my phone lost, would the MEID actually show "lost" or would it just show that it was locked?

Phones
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    Last 5: HTC Thunderbolt
    Motorola Droid, BB Tour, BB Storm, BB Pearl
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    It always depends, so make sure you buy from an eBayer with a high rating, and possibly one that has a history of selling cell phones. Also, make sure you use PayPal--that way if there is an issue, you have PayPal and your CC company to dispute the transaction with.

The ESN can be locked due to being lost/stolen or having an unpaid balance. There are probably more reasons, but those are the only ones I'm aware of.
    I think Verizon has access to the why's, but I don't know if they can release that information.

Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ShortSxit

The ESN can be locked due to being lost/stolen or having an unpaid balance. There are probably more reasons, but those are the only ones I'm aware of.
    I think Verizon has access to the why's, but I don't know if they can release that information.
    I can almost guarantee they will not release the "Why" it is locked. The system would simply block the device activation.

When I was still in CS for At&t, anytime a blocked IMEI (only if a device is flagged lost/stolen) the computer would report that the device is in use on another account and nothing could be done to change it (short of removing it from the other account, not that it was allowed).
    If I'm annoyed and you're annoyed, does that make us a paranoid ??

Sarcasm is a fine art...

"Don't believe everything you think"

It's not a matter of if you win or lose, it's how you assign the blame

Phone
    Droid Maxx
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Yes, stick with sellers with 100% feedback. An then look at their feedback, do they sell VZW phones allot or not.
    I've bought several VZW phones off Ebay that were locked and although it takes some time I was able to either get a replacement, refund, or unlocked.
    Also you can ask the seller if the ESN is free & clear?

Carrier
    I <3 Verizon!
    Feedback Score
    Avoid Ebay! Buy on Craigslist and meet at a VZW store. That way they will tell you before you ever pay.

Phones
    motorola moto x
    motorola moto X
    Carrier
    US Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TheUncleBob
    I was considering purchasing a newer phone on eBay and I'm concerned about getting one with a locked MEID. I have a couple of questions about this:

First, has anyone had this happen? Did you manage to get your money back, or were you SOL?

Second - *if* the phone is locked, what reasons would it be locked? Just if the phone was reported lost or stolen? Or are there other reasons?

Finally (and this is more just curiosity than anything) - does the account show *why* the phone was locked? For example, if I reported my phone lost, would the MEID actually show "lost" or would it just show that it was locked?
    What kind of phone are you looking at buying?

Phones
    HTC Incredible
    Motorola Krave ZN4
    Older: E816, E815, V710, v120e
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PACWEST
    Also you can ask the seller if the ESN is free & clear?
    Ask the seller for the ESN/MEID itself. You can then call Verizon and have them check it for you. I have done this and it works great. If the seller will not provice the ESN/MEID, then avoid them.

Phones
    MOT Droid Mini,
    Home Phone Connect,
    MOT Droid 3,
    Carriers
    Verizon Wireless, Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by marcusmpe
    Ask the seller for the ESN/MEID itself. You can then call Verizon and have them check it for you. I have done this and it works great. If the seller will not provice the ESN/MEID, then avoid them.
    Just remember to ask that they check both the lost/stolen list and the unpaid account list. Plus remember that it could be added to either, seconds after you called.

Phones
    MOT Droid Mini,
    Home Phone Connect,
    MOT Droid 3,
    Carriers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PACWEST
    I've bought several VZW phones off Ebay that were locked ...
    Wow, unlucky.

Phones
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    Last 5: HTC Thunderbolt
    Motorola Droid, BB Tour, BB Storm, BB Pearl
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WaltA
    Just remember to ask that they check both the lost/stolen list and the unpaid account list. Plus remember that it could be added to either, seconds after you called.
    There was even a post last week from a guy that called into Verizon (with the person he bought the phone from, I think?), had the ESN checked, and got the phone activated. Then minutes later his new phone was deactivated and his old one activated by Verizon. He called to ask what the deal was and they said the phone was just reported stolen.

Carriers
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    Unsurprisingly, some people are just jerks by nature. Guess it's better to do the transaction in person when possible.

Carrier
    TMO
    Feedback Score
    I just bought a Droid of Craigslist and we meet at a Verizon store. I could not get the phone to activate. The manager look up her account and told me because she had ported out her number the phone is locked to the account until the billing cycle ends on the 23rd. I bought the phone if I have problems after the 23rd in activating the phone. She had left her contacts and personal information on the phone.

Feedback Score
    ^^ Is that what really happens to a handset when you port a number out of it? I bought a Sprint BB from craigslist where the seller ported his number to att. He told me that after his billing cycle it would clear. I thought that was BS, but the phone was so cheap, I could make a profit even selling it for parts.

I still need to call in the ESN and see if it cleared up.

Phones
    MOT Droid Mini,
    Home Phone Connect,
    MOT Droid 3,
    Carriers
    Feedback Score
    I don't think service providers cross-share any such info. So, if the used BB was black listed by Sprint, VZW would not know, or care.

Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.1 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; ) 400x240 LGE VX10000)

Quote Originally Posted by WaltA
    I don't think service providers cross-share any such info. So, if the used BB was black listed by Sprint, VZW would not know, or care.
    But Verizon won't activate a Sprint phone. And your point would be ......?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast