Thread: How to improve Droids' reception?

Phones
    Motorola Droid (switched from HTC Droid Eris) - '09
    Motorola Maxx Ve - '07
    Motorola E815 - '05
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

How to improve Droids' reception?

One thing I've noticed is that my previous phone (Motorola Maxx Ve) had MUUCH better reception and call clarity than the Droid. Most importantly in my own house, there are numerous times where people have told me they can barely hear me on my Droid (sometimes choppy voice or the sound of being muffled) whereas when I had the Maxx Ve, I never recieved complaints about any of those performances. So my question is, is there anything I can do to improve this on the Droid?

Phones
    iPhone 5S
    iPhone 5S
    iPhone 5, iPhone 4S, iPhone 4 (Retired)
    Carriers
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Call quality is a frequent complaint on the Droid. Not much you can do about that, maybe try swapping the phone or testing a VZW store demo to see if it has the same issues when you use it.
    ~DWin -

iPhone 5

Someday they'll see the light. Or they won't, either way I don't care. I'll keep shining.

Phones I've owned

Phones
    DROID
    Iphone 3GS (Retired!)
    Dare (Retired)
    Carriers
    Verizon (Current, Very Satisfied)
    AT&T (Yuck, Retired)
    Feedback Score
    do you have hair or something covering the mic on the rear at the top?

Phone
    Droid
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Mic, on the rear at the top??? I heard there were two mics on the droid but why would it be there? And where exactly?

Phones
    Motorola Droid Bonic XT875
    Motorola Droid A855
    Palm Pixi Plus (backup/fun)
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by soshowlara
    Mic, on the rear at the top??? I heard there were two mics on the droid but why would it be there? And where exactly?
    You have one mic at the bottom then one mic on the back. Right next to the headphone jack. Follow the line till it kind of goes down. That second mic is for noise cancellation.

Phones
    VZW Customer Council Member
    Droid Bionic, HTC Tbolt&Inc, Droid X,O2,Droid,BB Tour/Storm/Pearl,GzOne, LG Dare/enV/Choc,HTC Touch,
    Sam BJ2/Juke/Alias,iPhone 2G, MiFi, Moto Q9m/v3xx/168i
    Carriers
    Verizon,
    Feedback Score
    Yeah, apparently if you hold the phone up near the top and cover that hole you are going to have some sound problems. Try holding it in the middle or closer to the bottom of the phone and see if that helps a little.

This issue was discussed in the following thread if you'd like more info:

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1616653

Phones
    Motorola Droid (switched from HTC Droid Eris) - '09
    Motorola Maxx Ve - '07
    Motorola E815 - '05
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    ahhhh thank you for the link, def clears this issue up!

Phones
    Motorola Droid
    Motorola z6c (kept for GSM)
    LG VX8300 (kept as spare)
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Be very careful how you hold the phone. I have never seen a mobile that was more sensitive to where your hand is on it. There's a limit as to how much metal you can get away with on a cell phone and while Motorola did not cross it as blatantly as Apple did on the 1G iPhone, they still crossed it.

So here's what I suggest; if you're holding the phone in your hand, hold it towards the top of the handset, perhaps just leaving one finger at most underneath the bottom. The antenna is across the bottom of the phone and needs to be kept as clear as possible.

If you do this, you will get a 10dbm improvement or more in reception. Your one bar signal will go to two or three; you two bar signal will go to three or possibly four if you're lucky. And you'll notice your battery life improving too.

Holding the phone right I've found the reception to be comparable with my z6c -- although I've not given it the northern Wisconsin/Minnesota boonie torture test yet; I've been too busy at work to get away for a few days.