Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Official Samsung Intensity SCH-U450 Hacking Thread

Phone
    Samsung Intensity SCH-U450
    Carrier
    Telus Mobility
    Feedback Score

Official Samsung Intensity SCH-U450 Hacking Thread

I've been searching long and hard on a way to get custom ring tones onto the Telus Samsung Intensity and have come up short. In the past I have found these forums to be the best place to find instructions on this type of thing, but am disappointed that this is not the case for this handset. All I have found is the following instructions for the Verizon version of the Intensity and am looking for some solid information on how to do it with the Telus version. Someone please help...

After many hours of research I was finally able to find a method that works for getting custom mp3 ringtones on the Samsung Intensity without having to message them to yourself.

Software required:
    1.Samsung PC Studio
    2. QPST (Or other software to allow you to browse the phone's file system)

1. Install Samsung PC Studio (Will only be used to install drivers for the intensity)
    2. Change USB Port Map to "Modem" on your phone
    a. Go to Settings & Tools > Phone Info > and then press the # button.
    b. Enter 000000 for the lock code.
    c. Select option 2 "Port Map"
    d. Select option 4 "USB"
    e. Select option 4 "Modem"
    3. Plug phone into usb port.
    4. Go to device manager and install drivers for the unidentified devices
    a. The drivers will be located in C:\Program Files \Samsung\Samsung PC Studio 3
    5. Start QPST EFS Explorer
    6. Browse to brew\mod\mr on the phone
    7. Delete MrInfo.db
    8. Drag and drop your mp3 ringtone files into this directory
    9. Restart the phone.
    10. A new MrInfo.db file will be created. Copy it to your desktop.
    11. Edit the file with notepad. You should see an entry for each sound file in the directory, followed by |0|0 or something like that. For the first file change the second 0 to a 2. For the next file change that same zero to a 3, and so on. I guess the second zero just needs to be a 2, 3, or 4.
    12. Copy MrInfo.db back to the phone in same directory.
    13. Reboot the phone and your mp3 will show up under the "My Ringtones" menu.

Phone
    sch-u450 intensity
    Carrier
    verizon
    Feedback Score
    does this work or will it so call "brick" it?

Feedback Score
    I just got the same phone w/ Koodo and was wondering the same thing.

Tried emailing edited files in wav, mp3, m4r and amr formats, to my 10digitcell@msg.koodomobile.com. The wav message showed up but it said the attachment was deleted because it could not be viewed.

The next 3 i sent didn't show up at all, meaning I didn't even get the message.

If the above steps work, let me know. You'd think there'd be a way to do with with out the USB cable and just be able to use the SD card.

You should prolly change the name of this thread to something more specific (like custom ringtones for Samsung Intensity) because you may be able to do this with out 'hacking' the phone. Lowers the chance someone will actually look at this, because most people don't wanna 'hack' their phone, they just wanna get ringtones for it. Can you please change it?

A girl at work said she got custom ringtones to work on hers. She said it used a buncha data but disputed the charges and got them erased. I'll ask her how she did it and report back. Likely won't be till Saturday.

Phone
    Samsung Intensity SCH-U450
    Carrier
    Telus Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Well, I'm pretty sure there is no way to do it without "hacking" the handset. Telus does a pretty good job of locking their handsets to make this sort of thing impossible. As for the method posted above, it does work, for Verizon handsets. I'm just trying to find a confirmed way of doing it for Telus handsets. It's not just for ring tones either - if we can figure out a way to get custom ring tones onto the handset then this opens up the door to also getting games and apps onto it as well...

Phone
    sch-u450 intensity
    Carrier
    verizon
    Feedback Score
    used sorta a diffrent method of hex editing a file created by the phone after i added the files. It worked on a verizon network phone

Feedback Score
    Please share your method with us.

Phone
    Motorola Razr HD (XT925)
    Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    and THIS is why I love my Windows Mobile (and Palm) based smartphones ... just plug in, and drag the files to your phone directory and voila! You've got custom ring tones.

Phone
    Samsung SPH-840
    Feedback Score
    Since you appear to have it, what kind of photo caller ID does the Intensity have? Thumbnail or whole screen?

Phone
    sch-u450 intensity
    Carrier
    verizon
    Feedback Score
    none that i can tell but i dont know, just basicly got the phone and didnt look at that part of it since no one has called me.

Phone
    Samsung SPH-840
    Feedback Score
    No one knows here?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanVS
    and THIS is why I love my Windows Mobile (and Palm) based smartphones ... just plug in, and drag the files to your phone directory and voila! You've got custom ring tones.
    Sounds great but you can't get a smartphone and have a $23 bill after taxes every month, can you.

Also, thanks for your input. We all thing you did a great job helping us find our answer. Must be awesome having two cell phones.

Feedback Score
    DID anyone ever figure out how to get custom ringtones on the Intensity?? Neither BitPim or QPST will even recognize this phone! I'm new at this.. Please help!

Feedback Score
    I found out how if anyone is still interested in this..

http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...0&page=2&pp=15

I followed the post by Lanhoj about halfway down page 2 and it worked for my Telus Samsung Intensity

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zahra325
    I found out how if anyone is still interested in this..

http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...0&page=2&pp=15

I followed the post by Lanhoj about halfway down page 2 and it worked for my Telus Samsung Intensity
    That's a great find man. I'm gonna try this tonight and report back.

Phone
    sch-u450 intensity
    Carrier
    verizon
    Feedback Score
    seems like alot of work, ive put three ringtones on mine with just hex editing the mrinfo.db after the phone creates it so the phone can see it but w/e

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast