Phones
    iPhone 4
    Dell Streak Mini 5
    Bose BT1 headset __&__ Monster Clarity HD
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Question iPhone in Mexico - Data Usage Settings - Tips & Tricks?

Besides adding these features:

AT&T Mexico(SM) - $4.99/month
    20 MB Data Global Add-On - $24.99/month
    International Long Distance Text Messaging Package - $9.99/month
    (only 100 texts)

And flipping these settings on the iPhone 3GS:

Settings>Location Services>OFF
    Settings>Data Roaming> OFF
    Settings>Mail>Fetch New Data>Push> OFF
    Settings>Mail>Fetch New Data>Manually
    Settings>Mail>Fetch New Data>Advanced> Manual (each one)

Lastly:
    Before turning off iPhone & flying to Mexico:
    Settings, General, Usage > Reset Statistics
    (to check my Cellular Network Data usage for the long weekend)

then

Settings>Airplane Mode>ON

unless needed.

Am I missing anything?

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    The International Text Messaging Package only applies to text messages sent to foreign telephone numbers while your phone is located in the United States or its territories such as Puerto Rico and the United States Virgin Islands. It does not apply to text messages sent from foreign locations.

Data Roaming has to be On to use the International Data Package you purchased.
    Earl F. Parrish

Phones
    iPhone 4
    Dell Streak Mini 5
    Bose BT1 headset __&__ Monster Clarity HD
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by efparri
    The International Text Messaging Package only applies to text messages sent to foreign telephone numbers while your phone is located in the United States or its territories such as Puerto Rico and the United States Virgin Islands. It does not apply to text messages sent from foreign locations.
    Thanks! I removed that feature. Hopefully I dont have to call AT&T to get $9.99 credit. Didn't send any texts at all so shouldn't be a problem.

Does anyone have any idea how much I will be charged for incoming and/or outgoing texts while in Mexico? Do you have to turn that on/off?

Data Roaming has to be On to use the International Data Package you purchased.
    Thanks for the tip!

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Incoming messages of all types come out of your messaging package, if any. Otherwise it is at the domestic pay per use rate. Outgoing messages cost $0.50 for text/instant messages and $1.30 for multimedia messages. If a text message is longer than 160 characters, you pay $0.50 for each partial message. If you are sending long messages, it might be cheaper to send them as MMS.

Phone
    iPhone
    Carrier
    att
    Feedback Score
    Nice, heading to Mexico in 2 wks so this will help, I will need phone when I land to meet up with friends any idea on minute charge?

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Go to this link and check the country in the dropdown list:
    http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/in...l=calltoaction
    You can click on Details from the country list to see data and messaging rates. You can also view the carriers and bands used.

Phone
    iPhone 4 Factory Unlocked
    Carrier
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    You're nuts.

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1602182

I recently did this. For $50 I got all the calling I needed for the trip and 1.5gb of data. Never even came close. The iphone was my main computer and only source of internet. The maps helped me everywhere I wanted to go in full satellite color. Google was invaluable for both translating and finding information.

Don't hobble yourself, just unlock it and get a local sim, its much much nicer.

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    I think that the original poster wanted to be able to receive voice calls from back home without subjecting his friends and family to the expense of dialing international long distance numbers.

Phone
    iPhone 4 Factory Unlocked
    Carrier
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    Bah I say screw friends and family. Sure is sweet having pretty much unlimited data and calling for $50 while travelling

Phone
    iPhone 5
    Carrier
    American Telephone & Telegraph Company
    Feedback Score
    I think that the original poster wanted to be able to receive voice calls from back home without subjecting his friends and family to the expense of dialing international long distance numbers.
    www.TollFreeForwarding.com

Simply get a local number and enable forwarding before you leave, then receive all your regular calls with the foreign prepaid SIM in your iPhone.

PRL Interpretations
    XFF's AlphaTag software
    Cellular and PCS License Maps
    Quote Originally Posted by gpatrick900
    I am a little confused. My Verizon phone was able to roam on GSM because they used TDMA. Tell it was shutdown. The phone recognizes it as Analog. If PCS has TDMA, It could be technically be used on GSM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabla View Post
    Y'know, I'm used to hysterical 14-year-old ******** on the internet, but this is exceptional. Never before in human history have so many nerds hyperventilated so publicly over so little.

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    AT&T does not permit forwarding to international telephone numbers. It might not be worth the trouble for a few days in a foreign country.

Phone
    iPhone 5
    Carrier
    Feedback Score
    AT&T does not permit forwarding to international telephone numbers. It might not be worth the trouble for a few days in a foreign country.
    That's the whole point of www.TollFreeForwarding.com. Don't let the "TollFree" part confuse you. That's an optional service that they offer, but is of no consequence here. They give you a local number that forwards to your international prepaid number. So as far as AT&T is concerned you forward to a US number (the number TollFreeForwarding gives you), but then TollFreeForwarding takes over and forwards to your ultimate (international) destination. It works very well and is very easy to set up, no trouble at all.

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    You pay $16.80 per month for the service and get 240 minutes. You have to know the Mexican number in advance and you have to give out the tollfree number to your correspondents. That seems like some trouble to me.

I could find no information on what shows up for incoming calls on your final destination phone.

Phone
    iPhone 5
    Carrier
    Feedback Score
    You pay $16.80 per month for the service and get 240 minutes.
    Yes, $0.07/min. That's a heck of a lot cheaper than the roaming rate AT&T (or any other US carrier) would charge you in MX.
    You have to know the Mexican number in advance and you have to give out the tollfree number to your correspondents.
    Not at all. You simply enable call forwarding on your iPhone to the local number (not necessarily toll-free) that TollFreeForwarding gives you. It's completely transparent to the callers. That's the whole point. They'll never know you're not using your regular US SIM in your iPhone.
    That seems like some trouble to me.
    It's no trouble at all. You sign up with TollFreeForwarding and enable call forwarding on your iPhone to the number they give you. All done in 10 minutes.
    I could find no information on what shows up for incoming calls on your final destination phone.
    It'll show the normal call ID of the originating line, completely transparent.